HF's Team Board Mock Draft

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I really really hope you're wrong. I wouldn't take him in the first at all.

He is definitely right about that weird internet thing here. No I don't want him in the top 10, but damn I would like a prospect like that in the fold. He's absolutely right about NHL teams coveting him. Because he has the potential to dominate the smaller skilled defenseman that are coveted so much. He's literally the antithesis, and I think that's where this stigma comes from. He's a chess piece and probably a pretty safe pick around 10 to 15 IMO. Bjugstad went 19 out of high school, Rasmussen is a sure fire first round pick in this class. His skating was among the best at the prospects game testing, I am sure NHL teams are drooling over this particular prospect.

I understand why you wouldn't want him though, Bjugstad never became the force I imagined he could be. At least not yet.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If we were drafting where we have been the last few years I'd love a Ras pick, but at 9 no way. Also if we were drafting at that spot and Robert Thomas(another guy I like but not at 9)and Ras were there I got RT 100/100 (I think someone is gonna be thoroughly happy when they pick him). I do like Rasmussen though

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
He is definitely right about that weird internet thing here. No I don't want him in the top 10, but damn I would like a prospect like that in the fold. He's absolutely right about NHL teams coveting him. Because he has the potential to dominate the smaller skilled defenseman that are coveted so much. He's literally the antithesis, and I think that's where this stigma comes from. He's a chess piece and probably a pretty safe pick around 10 to 15 IMO. Bjugstad went 19 out of high school, Rasmussen is a sure fire first round pick in this class. His skating was among the best at the prospects game testing, I am sure NHL teams are drooling over this particular prospect.

I understand why you wouldn't want him though, Bjugstad never became the force I imagined he could be. At least not yet.

Fair enough people can have differing opinions. I just see a very low ceiling for him. He's a big guy with inflated stats from playing on one of the best WHL teams and scoring a lot on the PP. If you draft Rasmussen you're getting a 3/4C who plays net-front on your 2PP IMO. I just prefer to aim much higher with my first round picks. Especially top 10. I can recognize that he's huge and put up good point totals while playing responsible defense. Those are all qualities to like. Someone is going to take him top 15 probably, and they might end up being right to do so...but I'll be really surprised if he ever plays 2C effectively at the NHL level.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Fair enough people can have differing opinions. I just see a very low ceiling for him. He's a big guy with inflated stats from playing on one of the best WHL teams and scoring a lot on the PP. If you draft Rasmussen you're getting a 3/4C who plays net-front on your 2PP IMO. I just prefer to aim much higher with my first round picks. Especially top 10. I can recognize that he's huge and put up good point totals while playing responsible defense. Those are all qualities to like. Someone is going to take him top 15 probably, and they might end up being right to do so...but I'll be really surprised if he ever plays 2C effectively at the NHL level.

You're probably right. He's going to be a pro and probably not a flashy one. He won't be the best pick, and he won't be the worst. But on draft day, he will be "the worst pick" in most threads. Hindsight will change that, and his position will level out as the busts reveal themselves. (I'm all for gambling on a boom though of course.)

abparry87

Jun 11, 2010
Australia
If it helps, I drafted Timothy Liljegren in NHL 17 and he is doing fantastic! 2nd full year and he has already cemented a role on the first pairing D!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

You're last sentence in the 1st paragraph is why I think he's going top 10 in my opinion. Skates much better than a guy like Primeau or a Getzlaf coming out. Similar aggression but hands down better hockey sense than Primeau and on par or slightly better than Getzlaf.. compared to Pettersson, he doesnt need to fill out a ton, he has more size, reach, already plays in small space well and he's a better skater.

Less questions. I'd take him over Pettersson all day long. If they are at 9 and Makar is still available, I think they go that way but if it's between Pettersson and him, I'm taking him, as I think he has a chance to be dominant more than a Petterrson would.

It's why drafts are fun. Lots of different opinions.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If it helps, I drafted Timothy Liljegren in NHL 17 and he is doing fantastic! 2nd full year and he has already cemented a role on the first pairing D!

My NHL16 team has McDavid and Matthews as the top two centers, Jurco and Pulkks are both 25 goal scorers. Also have Lindholm Trouba and Hedmen on the back end. Had to trade away Kronwall AA Abdelkader Dekeyser, Howard and some firsts, but unlike Holland I was willing to make hockey deals.

Seriously though, the NHL games are so weird about how they rate players and development.

As for who we draft? Best center available with the first, run up a few defensemen and wingers in the middle and the last couple rounds gamble on centers.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You're last sentence in the 1st paragraph is why I think he's going top 10 in my opinion. Skates much better than a guy like Primeau or a Getzlaf coming out. Similar aggression but hands down better hockey sense than Primeau and on par or slightly better than Getzlaf.. compared to Pettersson, he doesnt need to fill out a ton, he has more size, reach, already plays in small space well and he's a better skater.

Less questions. I'd take him over Pettersson all day long. If they are at 9 and Makar is still available, I think they go that way but if it's between Pettersson and him, I'm taking him, as I think he has a chance to be dominant more than a Petterrson would.

It's why drafts are fun. Lots of different opinions.

To each his own I guess. I think he is a very smart player, but I think people really misrepresent how skilled he is with the puck. I give him credit though for knowing where goals are scored. My money says that he will ultimately land on the wing at the NHL level and will need to play with more skilled players to be effective. The start-stop, small space skating demands of the center position don't help these giant kids.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
My NHL16 team has McDavid and Matthews as the top two centers, Jurco and Pulkks are both 25 goal scorers. Also have Lindholm Trouba and Hedmen on the back end. Had to trade away Kronwall AA Abdelkader Dekeyser, Howard and some firsts, but unlike Holland I was willing to make hockey deals.

Seriously though, the NHL games are so weird about how they rate players and development.

As for who we draft? Best center available with the first, run up a few defensemen and wingers in the middle and the last couple rounds gamble on centers.

Centres and dmen only with one goalie drafted as well

Don't need wingers this year or next.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So if we pick second and Dahlin is off the board, you say don't take Svech? (at this juncture in the process, they're consensus top 2)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So if we pick second and Dahlin is off the board, you say don't take Svech? (at this juncture in the process, they're consensus top 2)

Odds of that playing out are incredibly slim, and a ton can change in a year.

I think next year is a great draft for defenseman, and I hope that's what our first pick is next year.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Odds of that playing out are incredibly slim, and a ton can change in a year.

I think next year is a great draft for defenseman, and I hope that's what our first pick is next year.

I'd take Svech if the Wings had the 2nd overall pick. The brother angle is good for marketing, it and it would make Nyquist, Tatar and/or AA super expendable.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd take Svech because I think he's going to be an elite winger in this league. But like I said, at this juncture. For all we know a different player could shoot to one or even Andrei separate himself

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'd take svechnikov and trade nyquist and or Tatar for a another top 10 pick or whatever is needed as long as it's not super bad for us and take a good dman

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I'd take svechnikov and trade nyquist and or Tatar for a another top 10 pick or whatever is needed as long as it's not super bad for us and take a good dman

Nyquist and/or Tatar for a top 10 pick?

I think most team would take that.

I mean most teams need expensive top 6 wingers more than a good dman.

They'd be crazy not to.

(am I doing it right?)

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Watch Dallas. They are willing to deal the #3 pick. Tatar, Nyquist & #9.............

You want to trade 2 of our top 3 players and a 9th overall pick for someone who's not Hischier or Patrick?

No thanks.

If you want to get rid of Nyquist and Tatar, do it when you know you have a blue-chip prospect coming back.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

my bad

thought he was a centre

buy the theory remains the same

centres and dmen heavy next two years as those are the most important positions on the ice and teams simply dont ever value wingers in trades enough to improve your own blueline or centre depth when its needed

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd take Svech because I think he's going to be an elite winger in this league. But like I said, at this juncture. For all we know a different player could shoot to one or even Andrei separate himself

Top 2 will be very hard to crack, since Dahlin and Svech had pretty amazing -1 seasons.

But there are some other really good options after that next year. McIsaac, Wilde, Veleno, Merkley, Wise/Wahlstrom, etc. Odds are we are going to be picking in that "next tier".

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Looks like Pettersson was gone early, so Liljegren would have been anyways our Board Mock pick.

Rasmussen got 3 votes? Who did want him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad