HF's Team Board Mock Draft

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I don't think Patrick has much of an edge on the ice. Everyone assumes the injury is the reason they're so close, but almost every scout/analyst has said the injury has nothing to do with the ranking. Everyone gets caught up in Patrick's numbers last year, but in the eyes of a lot of scouts, Hischier was the better player regardless of injury. Remember that although Patrick put up good numbers in D -1 year, he was on an absolutely stacked team.

The team was stacked last year, but then this year, on a much worse team and severely out of typical game condition, he put up pretty much the same PPG.

Patrick spent more hours of his draft year than he cares to tally in a pool, working up mobility and strength in his hips and abs. He tried to return to the ice after a month of rehab, but it was too soon. He watched the World Junior Championship he should have been playing in on TV, and tuned in for every Canadian game. Instead of skating, he went hunting.

Before this most recent injury — he went down in front of Regina’s net during the second-last game of the regular season and had to be helped off the ice — Patrick had just started to feel like himself again. He did have two goals and two assists in his return to the lineup on Jan. 13, an 8-5 win over Kootenay, but that was mostly adrenaline. “I was like, ‘Okay, I’m feeling good,’ after that game,†he says. “My second night? I realized I’ve got a long way to go — I’m not feeling that good at all.†He’d only started practicing with the team two weeks before, and getting into game shape doesn’t happen that quickly. “I think missing three months is a lot harder than a lot of people think,†Patrick says. “I couldn’t do any cardio, I couldn’t bag skate or anything.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/big-read-nolan-patricks-unconventional-road-nhl-draft/

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Plenty of scouts have said it is because of Patrick's injury. Both the concern and the fact he simply wasn't playing match this year for them to watch. No WJC and mostly no season.

I also haven't read much, if any, scout knocking Patrick because of Branden being stacked.

The opposite as he was far and away the consensus number 1 going into this year because of his draft -1 year.

Nobody knocks Patrick because Brandon was stacked, it's just a consideration when looking at his numbers. You need to account for the fact that he was on an excellent offensive team. I've yet to see a single scout say that Hischier has evened himself with Patrick due to injury concerns, but I'm open to any articles/reports stating that.

I'm not really concerned with who was the consensus pick in their draft -1 year. There have been subsequent years and entire bodies of work need to be taken into account. Again, I'm not knocking Patrick as a player. I'm knocking the thought that Hischier is only close to him due to injury. That just isn't accurate.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There are lots of scouts and experts that have said a big reason this got close is because they don't have as much tape on Patrick this year, while Nico played and was flashy. All the signs are there that a lot of this has more to do with Patrick's injury plus recency bias than you think.

There is little reason to contextualize his draft -1 season like that. First it was not a concern to a single expert or scout that Brandon was loaded. Everyone watching Patrick last year thought he was the best player on the team and was easily the best player in this draft. Secondly Patrick came back from a long injury and still posted a similar PPG pace despite not being in the best of shape and the fact that Brandon wasn't very good this year.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Can't vote because I'm almost 50/50 split. All things being equal I like Patrick better, but have awful visions of Cammalleri-esque 50-60 game seasons.

I'm trying not to get too attached to either because a few minutes after we pick one, the other will pull an orange jersey over his head and instantly becomes evil.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't think Patrick has much of an edge on the ice. Everyone assumes the injury is the reason they're so close, but almost every scout/analyst has said the injury has nothing to do with the ranking. Everyone gets caught up in Patrick's numbers last year, but in the eyes of a lot of scouts, Hischier was the better player regardless of injury. Remember that although Patrick put up good numbers in D -1 year, he was on an absolutely stacked team.

Unless a scout puts their name to a quote or analysis, ill take it with a grain of salt.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm a little worried about Patrick's injury issues but I'm certain Shero and his crew will do their du diligence to make sure we don't draft "Marian Gaborik".

With that said, I'm taking the big bodied center 10 times out of 10. If it wasn't for his injury issues, we wouldn't be talking about Hischier. Don't get me wrong, Nico is a fantastic prospect but if we evaluate both hockey players and their on ice skills, Nolan Patrick is guy the I want.

Just looking at what Getzlaf is showing us during this post season is why I'd prefer a big strong center over a more skilled, but smaller, guy.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gaborik?

If you told me this pick will equal Gaborik in terms of games played and production I'd be doing freaking back flips.

Gaborik NHL 989 396 398 794

Last edited:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Gaborik?

If you told me this pick will equal Gaborik in terms of games played and production I'd be doing freaking back flips.

Gaborik NHL 989 396 398 794

C'mon Jim... :facepalm:

Gaborik = made out of glass. He probably missed more games then he played.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
We should leave this thread just for the poll and discuss the actual players in their thread.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
C'mon Jim... :facepalm:

Gaborik = made out of glass. He probably missed more games then he played.

Only if your world view is the last 5 years.

He's been in the in league for 18 seasons and played 989 of 1442 possible (17 * 82 + 48 for the 2013 lockout) for 69% of possible games. Not great but there really is nothing horrible about that.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I have to say I'm shocked Patrick is at 86% of the vote. I'd pick him too, but I thought there would be much less concensus.

Also, lol @ the lone Vilardi pick.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I have to say I'm shocked Patrick is at 86% of the vote. I'd pick him too, but I thought there would be much less concensus.

Also, lol @ the lone Vilardi pick.

For what it's wroth, on the poll we've had going since we won Nolan was 67% of the votes.

I think there's a disconnect between how some people view Nico in that there's a lot of speculation around here that he'll be a winger at the NHL level, and we could really use a #1 center. Though I'm pretty sure Shero said Nico projects as a center, or at least alluded to that.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I feel like Nolan is a lock to be at worst Jordan Staal. I want more than that though, today at least, so I'm voting Nico. That could change tomorrow though or even in the next 15 mins.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I take what Ray says while there's a dozen phones/mics in his face with a degree of skepticism when they try to corner him on his preference for a 1OA selection. We just never expected to be in this position, that's why before the lottery he said "yes please, we'll take either one" or something to that effect.

Prior to the big surprise we probably figured on being somewhere around 5-7 as a likely outcome. Now there's a seriously pivotal decision to be made, particularly since the one we don't pick ends up with the Flyers. So for now I suspect he's being diplomatic without too much of a public commitment when he projects both players to become bona fide NHL centers. Plus he knows the NJD fans are listening so he's got to keep an even keel for now, temper expectations.

I'm sure our scouting execs have leanings already but there's some due diligence in order before we reach the end of June.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
A lot of analysts have said they have heard from people around the Devils that they're high on Hischier. Will be interested to see the reaction from fans if that's the case, considering how much everyone is leaning towards Patrick.

Not everyone liked McLeod pick last year but he has played so well that they have changed their mind. Hischier would probably do same thing.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
For what it's wroth, on the poll we've had going since we won Nolan was 67% of the votes.

I think there's a disconnect between how some people view Nico in that there's a lot of speculation around here that he'll be a winger at the NHL level, and we could really use a #1 center. Though I'm pretty sure Shero said Nico projects as a center, or at least alluded to that.

He referred to the choice as being between two centers. In my mind there's about an 80% chance Nico stays a center and 99% Nolan stays at center. The "Nico might end up a winger" concerns are overstated IMO. To me it's more a question of what kind of center we want.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
He referred to the choice as being between two centers. In my mind there's about an 80% chance Nico stays a center and 99% Nolan stays at center. The "Nico might end up a winger" concerns are overstated IMO. To me it's more a question of what kind of center we want.

My thoughts exactly. It seems a lot of the concern is about his stature when he's really not that small. 6ft is pretty average and he'll definitely fill out as he gets older.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. It seems a lot of the concern is about his stature when he's really not that small. 6ft is pretty average and he'll definitely fill out as he gets older.

My feeling is that if both players followed perfect and ideal development tracks, we're talking about a choice between a Patrik Elias and a Joe Thornton. Which one would we rather have as a franchise cornerstone right now? Honestly it's just a great problem to have.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
My feeling is that if both players followed perfect and ideal development tracks, we're talking about a choice between a Patrik Elias and a Joe Thornton. Which one would we rather have as a franchise cornerstone right now? Honestly it's just a great problem to have.

In no way are Thornton and Patrick similar players. Thornton has always relied on his passing more than his shot, and has never really been a great skater, while Patrick is a guy who's shot is his best asset and a good skater for a big guy. Not really a good comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad