Prospect Info: HFOil's 2021 Prospect Ranking - #5

#5 Oilers Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah true he is entering as a 4th liner, but I think ive seen enough flashes that I think he could be one of those "elite" 3rd line centers we've been looking for. A guy who can score 15 goals and be responsible defensibly.

Considering how important that 3c position has become I think for me he gets bumped up, even though he doesnt have the high end potential of Xavier, Savoie, Lavoie, etc

I think that's a fair take. The thing that's frustrating for me, and he's still very young in fairness, is he could have a higher end game it's just got to be getting dirty. That kind of size and speed could see him get all sorts of chances in tight and be a possession monster. He has Ryan Kesler upside but lacks the edge that made him great. McLeod doesn't have hands to match the feet, he'd have been a lottery pick if he did, so he's got to get accustomed to using his physical gifts to outwork the opposition if he's ever going to be the sum of his parts. I could see it taking years but before I anoint him as anything more than a depth guy I'm going to need to see him work the hard areas myself. If he scores 40 points plus I have to imagine it's adding the grit to his game that he's always been cited for lacking. Such a tough player to gauge because it all comes down to desire and a willingness to do the hard things, hopefully he figures it out.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He definitely has the size advantage to Bourgault and has the better shot, but Bourgault's passing and hockey IQ are a tier above Lavoie.

I'm a big backer of hockey IQ over everything, but the player needs the physical tools and aggressiveness to use them or you end up with a Tyler Benson, IMO.

If I had to guess, I'd say slow playmaking wingers end up over in Europe more than any other player type.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I'm a big backer of hockey IQ over everything, but the player needs the physical tools and aggressiveness to use them or you end up with a Tyler Benson, IMO.

If I had to guess, I'd say slow playmaking wingers end up over in Europe more than any other player type.

I would tend to agree, but Bourgault has a decent frame at 6'0 and his skating certainly isn't unfixable.

I wasn't very high on him prior to the draft, mainly because of his inconsistent effort level and the skating + size combo, but his offensive package can certainly help him overcome that.

Lavoie I think has a higher floor given his shot + size, but if Bourgault can improve his skating and work harder on the ice, (which I see flashes of), he'll reach a higher ceiling. I guess at this point I'm voting for potential, not necessarily for how likely they are to achieve it.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
As odd as it is for me to say this I voted Skinner. Leading up to the last season I wasn't very high on the kid, but he put up a 20-9-2 record last season with a .914 save % and a 2.38 GGA. Maybe not world beating stuff but you can see the growth, and lets be honest after next year there is a good chance he is on the team unless there is some trade between now and then. The 2022 UFA goalie market is pretty thin.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
1 of the 2 votes for Benson lol. I like Xavier, but recency bias is always a thing in these prospect rankings. How high was Broberg last year?
Lavoie, Savoie, and especially Tulio are underrated prospects. Whoever made this vid in January, thank you. Warning, #4 will piss you off

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad