Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2017 (POLL #7)

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Congratulations to poll #6 winner:

C169vlKVQAAfVXC.jpg

Laurent Brossoit

HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2017
1) Jesse Puljujärvi - RW - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 100%
2) Kailer Yamamoto - RW - Spokane Chiefs - WHL - 57.67%
3) Caleb Jones - D - Portland Winterhawks - WHL - 52.25%
4) Ethan Bear - D - Seattle Thunderbirds - WHL - 60.22%
5) Tyler Benson - LW - Vancouver Giants - WHL - 61.36%
6) Laurent Brossoit - G - Edmonton Oilers - NHL - 55.56%

Thanks to all who voted in poll #6.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This is where it gets hard. I'd probably go with Wells or Gambardella.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
In terms of ceiling:
Paigin
Safin
Maksimov
Samorukov
Wells

In terms of NHL readiness:
Khaira
Gambardella
Simpson
Paigin
Ellis

In terms of likeliness to be on the roster in five years:
Rasanen
Khaira
Gambardella
Paigin
Wells

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I was gonna post this in the stickied prospect thread, but that place is dead in the summer so I'll post it here:

The World Junior Summer Showcase is next week and like i suspected all games will be streamed and the games latter in the week will be televised.

Here is the broadcast schedule:

All games listed on NHL Network will also be on TSN.

The Oil will have quite a few players there to watch:

Tyler Benson - CAN
Stuart Skinner - CAN
Dylan Wells - CAN
Kailer Yamamoto - USA
Philip Kemp - USA
Aapeli Rasanen - FIN
Markus Niemelainen - FIN

Keep in mind that USA and Canada are taking 42 players so not all of our guys will be in every game.

I cant wait for this, starving for some hockey.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Why wells compared to Ellis? Ellis had strong numbers in the AHL as a rookie last year which is a little more reliable then a CHL goalie with one good year

I'm not gonna be able to give a very good reason because goalies are voodoo and very hard to judge/compare. I am basing this of a gut feeling. Watching Wells in the playoffs (5 or so games) he blew my mind, he has such amazing poise combined with all the attributes I'd look for in a goalie: size, athleticism, tracks the puck well.

I like Ellis too, but at the end of the day Wells' potential is too much to pass up. Of course if he completely fizzles out I won't be surprised. Goalies are a strange bunch.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like Jujhar as I think he will have a long NHL career. I kind of see him as a less crazy Kassian.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
JJ will likely be in the NHL next year which is a better outcome then most of this list. However his upside is pretty limited to a good 4th liner or occasional 3rd liner.

For me Im really high on Ellis. His numbers do the talking and they scream very loud. In his first year as a starter in NCAA he rocked a .936- better than Gillies the year before. In his first AHL season he posted a .918 which is extremely solid for a rookie goalie. He was riding a .925+ for most of the year before a rough last stretch. Hes a pro style goalie and I think hes got all the tools and numbers to be a future 1B

Wells has really impressed too

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think Paigin is quite overrated on here honestly. I like him and was happy we drafted him but I would have him lower on this list. I think he'll be a fringe NHL guy at best. I don't think he's even the best russian left D in the system, I'd have Samorukov over him, and a couple of other guys too. At least he seems committed to NA, and it will be interesting to see how he does in the AHL next year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think Paigin is quite overrated on here honestly. I like him and was happy we drafted him but I would have him lower on this list. I think he'll be a fringe NHL guy at best. I don't think he's even the best russian left D in the system, I'd have Samorukov over him, and a couple of other guys too. At least he seems committed to NA, and it will be interesting to see how he does in the AHL next year.

I would tend to agree. Paigin has great tools but gives me a Gernat vibe. Hes so hard to make a call on because he looked incredible in WJC and had a record breaking year in KHL 2 years ago. But his other KHL seasons have been poor stat wise. I think he has just as much of a shot as say Lagesson or Bear. I wouldnt think of him as a pure NHLer forsure, more of a "he could, but chances are he wont"

I still really like the prospect and Id rather have more Paigin types then less. But hes like any other depth prospect: odds are against them

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Bilyaletdinov, the Ak Bars coach, is notorious for two things: 1) not giving ice time to young players; and 2) punishing people for not strictly following his system.

Paigin was in a bad situation in Ak Bars where he wasn't allowed to play the way he did in Sochi.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Give me JJ. His upside isn't huge, but he's almost guaranteed to be an NHLer at this point. Even if he's just a gritty 12/13th forward, that safety puts him higher up the rankings

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bilyaletdinov, the Ak Bars coach, is notorious for two things: 1) not giving ice time to young players; and 2) punishing people for not strictly following his system.

Paigin was in a bad situation in Ak Bars where he wasn't allowed to play the way he did in Sochi.

He did very well with Sochi but one thing to consider is how much getting crushed under that coaching had on his long term development. Prime development years are early 20s and for 2 and a bit years he was given the Lander treatment

I am thankful he was brought over to get out from under that (he was scornful of this in an interview a few months back), but I worry about long term impacts

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'm going with Ryan Mantha here. I know a lot of people(myself included) are skeptical of guys who seemingly explode in their 20 year old Jr season, but I think he's one of the exceptions to that. I think his case is that of a big guy growing into his body, and also finally getting a chance to get all the prime minutes since Vince Dunn turned pro this year. He was so dominant in the Niagara games I watched this year, it was something to behold. Highlight videos really don't do his season justice. I think he'll transition to the pro game extremely well and will rocket up these rankings in the next year.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm surprised Paigin is leading, I feel he was just a flash-in-the-pan guy his post-draft season in the KHL. Jujhar on the other hand has improved every year since being drafted and could challenge for an opening day roster spot. Wells would be my choice after Jujhar.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm surprised Paigin is leading, I feel he was just a flash-in-the-pan guy his post-draft season in the KHL. Jujhar on the other hand has improved every year since being drafted and could challenge for an opening day roster spot. Wells would be my choice after Jujhar.

Paigin has some sexiness pickwise

-stickflip
-6'6"
-27pts/37games KHL season

I agree it might have been a flash....we will see....but still its more than anyone else has accomplished.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That KHL season just seems to be too good to be a fluke.

He has taken a step back, but I think that's more to do with where he was playing.

At this point the ranking is kind of a crap shoot. I think Paigin has the highest upside if he manages to figure it out.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I'm going with Ryan Mantha here. I know a lot of people(myself included) are skeptical of guys who seemingly explode in their 20 year old Jr season, but I think he's one of the exceptions to that. I think his case is that of a big guy growing into his body, and also finally getting a chance to get all the prime minutes since Vince Dunn turned pro this year. He was so dominant in the Niagara games I watched this year, it was something to behold. Highlight videos really don't do his season justice. I think he'll transition to the pro game extremely well and will rocket up these rankings in the next year.

good pickup, good project.

hoping he becomes better than Darren Raddysh as both went undrafted with great seasons although Raddysh on a better team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad