Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2017 (POLL #3)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Voted Brossoit...

Jones\Bear\Laleggia reminds me of Woywitka\Lynch\Chorney debates we used to have in the old days and Musil\Marincin\Gernat in the dark days.

I agree. Brossoit still has indications of starter potential, and imo is only showing more warts because he's on the big club. Plus, he has some good stats in the NHL so far, but a limited sample.

It looks like he will get more starts next season. Then we'll have a better idea about him

edit: and he will be 24/25 years old next season. That's still young but definitely at the age where it's time to start showing his potential

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Had a hell of a time picking between Jones and Bear. Only went with Jones because I think he has top 4 defenceman written all over him - which is why I get irrationally angry when people toss him thoughtlessly into trade proposals.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Threw another Jones vote in the mix, interested to see where Jujar lands I like him but his ceiling is realistically a 3rd line grinder but we need them too!!

Also have a feeling our goalies are going to be slightly under rated we actually have a great mix of depth behind us, but goalies are voodoo so hard to know until they put up 60 games... in there 2nd starting season

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Jones for me, Bear is to wild defensively and dosen't skate as well as Jones, and Jones might be a better passer as well.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I voted Jones, will probably vote Bear next. But I'm nervous in regards to both of them for this upcoming year. It seems like whenever we have somewhat promising junior prosects graduate to the AHL they crash and burn. Most recently was Chase and Platzer.

Hoping these two can have a successful first pro year along with Paigin and Mantha.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think Bear clearly had a better season than Jones and has a better skill set to create offense at the NHL level so I voted him.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I think Bear clearly had a better season than Jones and has a better skill set to create offense at the NHL level so I voted him.

Bear just has a better shot. If you watch the games it's easy to see Jones drives offense much better. Skating, puck handling/moving, joining the rush (his skating affords him this ability while still being responsible and getting back on defense). Jones is Chabot, Sergachev type prospect; much more dynamic offensively than Bear.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Agree 100%.

I think the Bear hype is getting a bit crazy. I really like him, but i have him at 7. Realistically he has a long way to go.

Jones has literally every tool you need to be an elite defender, just needs to work on how he processes the game.

Jones has a lot of flash in his game. He can be dynamic offensively. Didn't get to show it at the WJC, but that was almost a blessing, because he really got to show off how good his shutdown game is.

At the junior level he can be dynamic offensively, however I think the WJC showed more of how he will adapt at the NHL level. Lots of skilled players have to adapt to different roles at the NHL level. He can skate and move the puck well but his offensive game will be more limited at the NHL level given his range of skills. I think career wise in terms of points he'll be a regular 25-30 point guy with a 40 point season or two in there as well. Andrej Sekera isn't what I would consider as flashy either but he can make plays and I expect similar from Jones, maybe a little better given his skating.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

he had what 6 more points? are they even close defensively?
Havent seen Bear play live in a couple years but he was Musil slow the last time I saw him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
he had what 6 more points? are they even close defensively?
Havent seen Bear play live in a couple years but he was Musil slow the last time I saw him.

That's a severe overstatement of skating issues. Watch bear walk the line like Shattenkirk in any of his highlight vids and try to say he's anywhere near musil slow. He's just only a slightly above average skater overall which is a potential hindrance for offensive D. Also never seen or heard he's bad defensively, in fact his scouting reports echoed his defensive game was his strength at the time of draft. Could just be the T birds needed the offense and engaged him more offensively

I love Jones's tools but bear does appear to be getting a bit underrated. 27 goals is mind blowing. Plus he's been a beast in 2 consecutive playoffs

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
At the junior level he can be dynamic offensively, however I think the WJC showed more of how he will adapt at the NHL level. Lots of skilled players have to adapt to different roles at the NHL level. He can skate and move the puck well but his offensive game will be more limited at the NHL level given his range of skills. I think career wise in terms of points he'll be a regular 25-30 point guy with a 40 point season or two in there as well. Andrej Sekera isn't what I would consider as flashy either but he can make plays and I expect similar from Jones, maybe a little better given his skating.

That's what I see as well. Very solid middle-pairing guy who puts up 25-30 points a year.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Mark down JJ for me, I think hes the surest of the players left to vote for to make the NHL, although he will never be anything more then a 4th liner due to offense.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
My biggest issue with both Jones and Bear is that, as a person who doesn't get many chances to watch junior hockey apart from WJC's, the most I've seen them has been during pre-season hockey. And they have both been extremely overwhelmed in both training camps. I just haven't seen the upside in those games so I have a hard time getting excited about either of them.

I hope to see some improvement at this year's training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad