Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2017 (POLL #3)

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Congratulations to poll #1 winner:

9628637-jesse-puljujarvi-dustin-byfuglien-nhl-heritage-classic-edmonton-oilers-winnipeg-jets-850x560.jpg

Jesse Puljujarvi

AND

Congratulations to poll #2 winner:

cut.jpg

Kailer Yamamoto

HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2016
1) Jesse Puljujärvi - RW - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 100%
2) Kailer Yamamoto - RW - Spokane Chiefs - WHL - 57.67%

Thanks to all who voted in polls 1 and 2.

Thanks to Zaddy for running those 2 and letting me take over...

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know why I voted Benson. Really like Jones, but maybe I've come around on Benson's injury history.

Brossoit is another wild card. The guy has had amazing NHL numbers last year, but such a limited showing.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Jones easily for me. Bear is good but he's not on the same level as an NHL prospect.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The field is trying to keep up with the Jones and he's lapping the field. I took Jones.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Jones easily for me. Bear is good but he's not on the same level as an NHL prospect.

Agree 100%.

I think the Bear hype is getting a bit crazy. I really like him, but i have him at 7. Realistically he has a long way to go.

Jones has literally every tool you need to be an elite defender, just needs to work on how he processes the game.

Jones. Don't expect him to be flashy, just a good all around defender. I see him as a #3 eventually at the NHL level.

Jones has a lot of flash in his game. He can be dynamic offensively. Didn't get to show it at the WJC, but that was almost a blessing, because he really got to show off how good his shutdown game is.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
wait what? based on what?

After Bear and Jones, who will undoubtably go 3 and 4, we are very thin at every position.

No sure fire bets to make the NHL. Not a lot of players with trade value if Chia wants some deadline help and doesn't want to trade the 1st or 2nd picks.

Besides the top 4 prospects, the cabinets are pretty bare. That can easily change if a few guys have good years though. Im really hoping for Benson and Paigin personally but not holding my breath

I wish HF still did the prospects and team rankings. I would be very interested to see where we are right now.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wow already starting to look pretty thin for prospects. Hopefully we can have some guys really step up this year. Especially if we are buyers at the deadline.

I agree. Maybe I've been following the Oilers for too long and have seen how infrequently "under-the-radar" prospects actually turn into something, but it seems to me that the drop in quality is very significant after Pulju and Yamamoto. Doesn't bode well for getting impact NHLers out of this list.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
After Bear and Jones, who will undoubtably go 3 and 4, we are very thin at every position.

No sure fire bets to make the NHL. Not a lot of players with trade value if Chia wants some deadline help and doesn't want to trade the 1st or 2nd picks.

Besides the top 4 prospects, the cabinets are pretty bare. That can easily change if a few guys have good years though. Im really hoping for Benson and Paigin personally but not holding my breath

I wish HF still did the prospects and team rankings. I would be very interested to see where we are right now.

I'd think we'd be bottom ten.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
I agree. Maybe I've been following the Oilers for too long and have seen how infrequently "under-the-radar" prospects actually turn into something, but it seems to me that the drop in quality is very significant after Pulju and Yamamoto. Doesn't bode well for getting impact NHLers out of this list.

Im hoping that our player development has come a long way over the years. IMO that was just as bad as our drafting during the Stu Macgregor years.

Every year at the draft it seemed like we did really well but nobody other than our 1st rounders ever amounted to much. A few later picks here and there worked out in other organizations and Slepy looks like he could be good so maybe there is some hope.

Was just so damn frustrating watching all those high 2nd round picks bust.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB

Most prospect pools aren't touching our depth. As for high end talent most systems have 1 or 2 high end prospects (some of the lesser teams more). Looking at our top end I see 1 elite prospect (Pulju) and 2 great prospects (Yamamoto and Jones).

I think you need to lower your expectations a lot. Our pool is top 15 IMO, which is great for a team that just made it to the 2nd round.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Most prospect pools aren't touching our depth. As for high end talent most systems have 1 or 2 high end prospects (some of the lesser teams more). Looking at our top end I see 1 elite prospect (Pulju) and 2 great prospects (Yamamoto and Jones).

I think you need to lower your expectations a lot. Our pool is top 15 IMO, which is great for a team that just made it to the 2nd round.

But missed the playoffs the 10 years before that.

Having our 2nd round draft pick this year would have helped a bit but besides the 1st and maybe 2nd round, where you finish in the standings shouldn't make that much of a difference for that years draft.

What I feel helps the Oilers is that guys as old as McDavid and Draisaitl are still considered prospects by their teams. Obviously they aren't prospects for the Oilers instead they are top 10 scorers.

So I don't feel our youth is bad at all. I feel its up there with the top of the league. But as far as this prospect list here goes, I'm not very impressed at all.

1 great prospect, a few good prospects and a whole bunch of question marks. If our development was better over the years maybe I would feel better about it.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
But missed the playoffs the 10 years before that.

Having our 2nd round draft pick this year would have helped a bit but besides the 1st and maybe 2nd round, where you finish in the standings shouldn't make that much of a difference for that years draft.

What I feel helps the Oilers is that guys as old as McDavid and Draisaitl are still considered prospects by their teams. Obviously they aren't prospects for the Oilers instead they are top 10 scorers.

So I don't feel our youth is bad at all. I feel its up there with the top of the league. But as far as this prospect list here goes, I'm not very impressed at all.

1 great prospect, a few good prospects and a whole bunch of question marks. If our development was better over the years maybe I would feel better about it.

That is most prospect pools though.

We can agree on the development part. I feel like its better now, but i still have major doubts. The Oilers/Condors will have a serious test this year with all the youth coming into the blue line.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
That is most prospect pools though.

We can agree on the development part. I feel like its better now, but i still have major doubts. The Oilers/Condors will have a serious test this year with all the youth coming into the blue line.

Fair enough, you are probably right. I just wish that there was more rankings these days.

Hockeys Future should bring it back.

This is the best I can find and its only 10 teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...op-10-nhl-prospect-pools-after-the-2017-draft

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Voted Brossoit...

Jones\Bear\Laleggia reminds me of Woywitka\Lynch\Chorney debates we used to have in the old days and Musil\Marincin\Gernat in the dark days.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Super high on Jones. Think he is one of best D prospects not in nhl and has top pairing upside

Also don't really care about prospect depth after top 5. Look at any old HF prospect pool rankings and look at top "depth" pools, the success rate for the 6-15 ranked guys is just as low as the poor depth pools. So hard to predict these 18 year Olds who have so much variability, especially for the lesser scouted guys. Even then, those depth prospects end up as Dwight king level depth players that you can find in UFA. Every fan base thinks their William legesson level prospect is a future Laddy Smid, not sexy to expect him to be a mark fistric type player

It's the top ranked guys that make a difference

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

this is what happens when your best "prospects" are in the NHL

McDavid, Nurse and Draisaitl just finished their 2nd full seasons in the NHL while Benning, and Cagulia just finished their 1st full season

couple that with a poor drafting record pre-2015 the top-end isn't as strong

we still have Puljujarvi, Benson, Bear, Jones and Yamamoto in the system...5 very good (1 elite) prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad