HFNYR: Board Appreciation Thread

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
As someone who has been part of college sports forums for 25 years or so, I can tell you that this place is so unfunny and so devoid of worthwhile discussion….and yet I keep coming back.

Stay cised.

Don't feel bad....I didn't know what it was either...finally looked it up.

From the "Urban Dictionary":

Cised: To be overjoyed or enthusiastic about something (e.g. a hip song, television show, that fly girl on the school bus), but trying to stay cool and aloof rather than show how overjoyed and enthusiastic one is; predominate usage peaks in junior high, ceases altogether by age 15.

Maybe you'd prefer Tina Turner's "Bold Soul Sister"?

It doesn't even rhyme!

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
9 times out of 10 i log on to this forum and become incredibly annoyed in about 3 minutes but yea i guess its pretty cool

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I've posted here like twice in the last month and don't really plan on going back to how things were. There are some really great people here that I will always care for, but otherwise this place is more toxic than a Superfund site. After this season someone else can pick up the prospect thread, as well.

I’ve been here on and off for 20 years now. I go through periods of inactivity. The culture here is “I’d rather be right than happy” which takes a toll. Who wants to hang out with a bunch of sourpusses and “I told you so’s.” It’s not acceptable in public so why is it acceptable here? Anyway, see everyone in the next GDT.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I’ve been here on and off for 20 years now. I go through periods of inactivity. The culture here is “I’d rather be right than happy” which takes a toll.
I truly believe that mindset is the "online persona" of the posters. Even though i think the team sucks this year I want them to win and shut my garbage mouth up.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I've posted here like twice in the last month and don't really plan on going back to how things were. There are some really great people here that I will always care for, but otherwise this place is more toxic than a Superfund site. After this season someone else can pick up the prospect thread, as well.
Well that sucks….. start ignoring people. Not worth it putting something down you like doing, presumably.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I am new, found the boards i guess at the beginning of the season, and was pretty amped to find some good hockey boards. I was an infrequent (<10x/season) poster on the BSB boards for a while and didn’t know where else to find people actually talking about hockey anymore.

As a fresh face with no idea about how anybody else gets along with anybody else, yeah, the last few PGTs (during a win streak!) brought down the collective IQ.

Mostly though, i have been actively telling all the hockey fan friends i have how great these boards are. Great boards are impossible without dedicated mods, modding is a sucky thankless endless job but is required to maintain a culture.

I find the culture of the boards generally positive. I see lots of “i might be wrong” and “yeah i was being a jerk” in threads with lots of back and forths, and lots of people constantly looking for another angle to advance their understandings. These are the types of attitudes that will keep the discussion moving forward even through weird times.

There are always ebbs and flows in the life of a community like this, better times and worse times for anyone’s personal style of engagement, etc.

I guess this is just a long winded thanks to everyone, and especially the mods, for this place still being a thing, and worth hanging out at.

I will go back to mostly frivolity now.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Most of the posters that were worth interacting with moved on and most of the ones left are probably the reason they’re gone and won’t come back. It’s a big reason (in a long list of reasons) I don’t post here anymore.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Very sorry to hear. You're a real asset to the community. I hope you'll rethink your decision.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I do not block many people but there are a select few that I have blocked and I have never looked back. If anyone bothers you including myself I hope you use the block feature. Do not let other people annoy you to the point that you feel you have to leave. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad