HFNHL Florida Panthers 2023 Draft Review

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Florida Panthers 2023 Review

#79 - Nico Myatovic - Forward
Was really surprised to see Myatovic still available at this point in the draft after his terrific second half and playoff run. Big winger with good skating ability and a very mature game. Could be a very good third line winger and PK option in the HFNHL down the line. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Myatovic was a Top 40 pick in the NHL this week.

#91 - Amadeus Lombardi - Forward
My main target as a re-entry, I love Lombardi's game. Strong skater. Creative playmaker. He has a really good chance of becoming a high end player and is very much a well kept secret right now to those outside of the OHL. I'm glad that no one took him sooner.

#96 - Larry Keenan - Defense

Love the upside of Keenan. His game is extremely raw...as is the case with almost all prep/high school kids. However, his length and mobility is very intriguing. Not a ton of difference between a guy like Keenan and Sam Rinzel last year. Love that he's going to UMass too, after a year with Penticton in the BCHL.

#112 - Arttu Karki - Defense
Was shocked to see Karki still availble to me. Thought he'd be one of the first guys off the board on day 2 after his good placement on Bobby Mac's list. Lots of upside here as Karki is a toolsy type with offensive potential. I took a similar swing on Topias Vilen a few years ago and that worked out well as he's emerged as a great young defender in Finland, so why not try again?

#113 - Zach Nehring - Forward
Next to Keenan, my other favourite prep/HS guy available this year. Big winger who brings speed and power. His game will need polish, but I thought he was great for Shattuck's in the US Nationals. Lots of upside here.

#128 - Drew Fortescue - Defense
Admittedly, I'm a big concerned about his projection given his average size and lack of elite tools, but I thought that he was the most improved defender on the US NTDP team this year and that bodes well for his development moving forward. Could he eventually become a Drew Helleson type?

#134 - Stephen Peck - Goaltender
Look at me with all the prep kids! One of my favourite goaltenders in this class. Shades of Jonathan Quick back in the day. Going to Michigan, but remains a major long time project. Likely the first prep goalie to be drafted in a while.

#149 - Juha Jatkola - Goaltender
Another netminder that I wanted to target in the mid/late rounds. Has improved every year, including this past year when he took the starting job from Leevi Merilainen at the summer make-up WJC's. Then he proceeded to have a strong year in Liiga for a young goalie. Very athletic. Needs refinement.

#159 - Eric Pohlkamp - Defense
One of my favourite players in this draft class period. I don't understand the lack of hype here. He was the USHL's defender of the year as an '04. Was an all star at the WJAC. His game is a bit erratic. He's a bit all over the place. But he has some very interesting tools.

#160 - Dyllan Gill - Defense
Right shot defender was a Tampa Bay NHL pick last year and was one of the most improved players in the QMJHL this past year. Became a big time player for Rouyn-Noranda. Finished 6th in defenseman scoring this past year.

#169 - Joey Willis - Forward
Another one of my personal favourites this year. Been hyping him all year through my work. Extremely intelligent player. Needs the athleticism to catch up. I liken him to Riley Kidney in a lot of ways.

#178 - Zach Schulz - Defense
Not too often you can get an HM on Bob McKenzie's list all the way down at #178. Kind of like Fortescue, I don't really know what Schulz is at the next level. But I always came away impressed by his play for the NTDP. Strong skater.

#194 - Parker Bell - Forward
Big, power forward type who is a Calgary Flames NHL draft pick. Had a good year for a rebuilding Tri-City team in the WHL this past season. Worth a flyer at this point in the draft.

#224 - Ty Henricks - Forward
Love Henricks and he's another kid that I don't understand the lack of hype over. I believe we, at McKeen's, are the only ones outside of NHL Central Scouting to rank him. Massive frame. Plays a heavy game. Shows potential as a goal scorer. Will head to Western Michigan with Zach Nehring. Two of them going to wreck havoc together?

Overall Review

I'm very happy with how this draft turned out at this point considering that I did not have a first or second round selection due to trades made for my cup run. I managed to target and acquire a lot of the guys I wanted in the mid rounds who I think have a great shot of going higher in the NHL draft, and who have an underrated projection as NHL players. Tried to go high upside, for the most part, in the mid to later rounds and hope that a few of those guys turn into something great.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I'm sure you'll come up with a riser or two out of all those late picks but hopefully the lack of early picks is something that slows down a key division rival, even just a little bit.

Good draft as always!

Reactions: Brock

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
How Florida's picks compared to the NHL.

Myatovic: 79 to 33 (+46)
Lombardi: Previously NHL Drafted
Keenan: 96 to 117 (-21)
Karki: 112 to 96 (+16)
Nehring: 113 to 82 (+31)
Fortescue: 128 to 90 (+38)

Peck: 138 to Undrafted (-Infinity) - :thumbd:
Jatkola: 149 to 121 (+28)
Pohlkamp: 159 to 132 (+27)

Gill: Previously NHL Drafted
Willis: 169 to 111 (+58)
Schulz: 178 to 177 (+1)

Bell: Previously NHL Drafted
Henricks: 224 to 183 (+41)

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
How Florida's picks compared to the NHL.

Myatovic: 79 to 33 (+46)
Lombardi: Previously NHL Drafted
Keenan: 96 to 117 (-21)
Karki: 112 to 96 (+16)
Nehring: 113 to 82 (+31)
Fortescue: 128 to 90 (+38)

Peck: 138 to Undrafted (-Infinity) - :thumbd:
Jatkola: 149 to 121 (+28)
Pohlkamp: 159 to 132 (+27)

Gill: Previously NHL Drafted
Willis: 169 to 111 (+58)
Schulz: 178 to 177 (+1)