HFNHL Flames 2014 Entry Draft Review & Prospect List

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Once again it turned into an interesting draft day on day one for the Flames. The Flames entered draft week with three picks, their own picks in the first two rounds (#18 & #48) and the St. Louis Blues pick in the 3rd (#90). Given the 4 second round picks last year and a plethora of developing prospects, and the perceived nature of this draft as being a bit weaker after the first round, the Flames were content to pick the best players at each pick and let that be the day. But it didn't quite work out like that.

A few days before the draft the Flames were alerted to the potential availability of Ville Pokka, a fast developing prospect that the Flames had missed out on drafting two years before despite him being a player they coveted.

A very quick negotiation later, and the #48 and long time Flames prospect Colton Sceviour (a 5th round pick seven years ago) were heading to the San Jose Sharks for Pokka. Pokka joins a growing list of puck-moving defenseman on the Flames. A NY Islander prospect, he will come over to play in the AHL this season.

That open door to the Sharks also opened up another negotiation. For the #5 pick. Going the other way would have been the #18 and a young Flames roster player and the two teams agreed to the deal, pending the Flames being able to move up to target Leon Draisaitl. The Flames tried in vain to move to the #2, #3 or #4 spot but were unsuccessful. A last minute bid for both the #1 and #5 was rejected and when Putodelphia took the German, the Sharks deal was off and the Flames started looking to move down in the draft.

The thinking was that the Flames could land Connor Bleackley or Nikita Scherbak and hopefully add a 2nd round pick to target Justin Kirkland, a player the Flames coveted. Unable to find a taker that offered a high enough 2nd, the Flames turned to their list.

Round #1, Pick #18 - DYLAN LARKIN (C)- USNTDP

When Larkin was available at 18 the Flames were content that he was the player they liked, a player whose value seemed to be in that 12-20 spot, and a player in a style the Flames want to draft more of. The Flames briefly toyed with the idea of Adrian Kempe, Bleackley, Scherbak or even pulling a shock move to take Kirkland this high, but Larkin was the safe pick with the most upside. Larkin plays that 200 ft game, is a leader and was still able to generate significant offense despite poorer line mates than fellow NTDP draftees like Sunny Milano.

Particularly appealing is his high hockey IQ, coach-ability, phenomenal skating and aggression. He is also comes in a pro size frame. He may not be a true top 2 C in the NHL but is one of the more blue chip sure things in the draft. Lots of untapped upside potential as well.

"A hard working centre who can shoot and skate. A fearless competitor and relentless forechecker "- McKeens

"He just looks like a pro, a very good all-around player." -Jim Johansson

"This is a classy, traditional playmaking centreman" -Redline Report

20140426%20USA%20-%20SWE%200361-2.jpg

After that, the Flames hunted high and low for a 2nd round pick to try and get Justin Kirkland. But with Redline Reports glowing reviews (how I cursed them when I saw that) I knew I had to act and even if an early 2nd became available I would have to jump at it. I probably reached too high for this player but I just wanted him. Given that I have too many prospects I can't seem to release, it seemed fine to give up a 2nd, 3rd and 4th in future drafts to get the #39.

Round #2, Pick #39 - JUSTIN KIRKLAND (W)- WHL

What is it that made me want this player so badly? Part of it is the search for NHL value in unlikely places. Is there a player out there who has pro size, skills and intangibles who hasn't been scouted enough? Someone branded by Costco? Or stuck on a 4th line on a good team with a lot of 19 and 20 year olds. Someone playing for a terrible franchise that doesn't allow the player to show his full potential. Someone playing in a lesser league somewhere? Or is there a player who came on by leaps and bounds at the end of the season?

The Flames have had success searching with these parameters in mind. Kirkland is a player who seemed to improve quickly and was a role player until late in the season.

Kirkland is a pro-sized winger who isn't without his flaws. His skating needs a little work, he needs some more physicality in his game and he hasn't had the opportunity to demonstrate his true offensive upside (if it exists) but Justin is noted for his work ethic and the opportunity should come. He was a PPG player down the stretch and into the playoffs for a strong, deep Kelowna team. He has developed slowly and could be a late bloomer.

"Power winger is 6-3 and still growing, with an impressive hockey IQ. Best-case scenario: Could he become Jamie Benn lite?" - Kyle Woodlief - Redline Report

"Poised up and down winger with good speed and potential strength... diligent and steady work ethic away from the puck... puck handling skills are a work in progress" - McKeens

Justin-Kirkland-Photo-Marissa-Baecker-575x383.jpg

After that, with no assets left to trade, the Flames waited for #90. There were just three players on the list. Christian Dvorak, Maxim Letunov, and Tyler Bird. I was a little surprised that Dvorak went that early, and even more surprised when Jeff took the Russian. I flirted with the idea of picking a higher ranked prospect rather than Bird, since I didn't think anybody else would have him on the radar, but I really couldn't find anyone I liked more. So, far too early, (and it turns out thankfully so with Dan Chan waiting to take him in the 4th) I went out to left field and found...

Round #3, Pick #90 - TYLER BIRD (W)- USHS

I first heard of Tyler Bird last year when there was an article on The Hockey News website about Kimball Union that called Birds line "the most dangerous in prep hockey." I wrote down his name. Here was a 6'2", 200lb winger who could skate, was physical, scored a goal a game and was a playmaker who piled on the points. Outside of his low level of competition what's not to love? He's going the NCAA route so there is lots of time for development. When central scouting came out and he was ranked low I was worried but an invite to the Combine and positive write-ups in the guides that did mention him sealed the deal. Very happy with this pick!

"Bird has been a revelation in leading the Wildcats in goals while playing a premier power and high-energy game. The former SJP standout already has NHL-caliber tools and is backing up his raw potential with production." - Kirk Luedeke

"Tyler’s a complete player who can play physical and put the puck in the net. He wears all the hats and he’s improving." - Tim Whitehead

KUA-640x429.jpg

Three potential power forwards and just three late picks to go.

EDIT: NO-NAMES & NEVER WILL-BE'S

Round #6, Pick #180 - WALTTERI HOPPONEN (W) - USHL

At one time, Hopponen was considered the 2nd best player of his age group in Finland. He scored the winning goal in OT at the Ivan Hlinka tournament over the US. Central Scouting has him on their first lists for this draft as a "Player to watch". ISS rated him at #25 on their September 2013 list, expecting him to be a first round draft pick, ahead of players like Ho-Sang and Bleackley. The Everett Silvertips selected him 10th overall in the import draft. Redline Report called him "impressive" in pre-season for the WHL club.

So, how did a kid with all this hype end up in a position where he probably won't be drafted in the NHL at all this weekend? Well, firstly, the Silvertips selected two players in the import draft and already had Mirco Müller. And the Silvertips cut Hopponen in favor of Russian Ivan Nikolishin. Unable to play for another CHL team (rules prevent import draftees from being traded or claimed in their import year), Hopponen ended up in Sioux City in the USHL. But adapting didn't go well at all. He struggled to adapt to his new home, language and team. He didn't score a single point for his first 10 USHL games.

But Happonen stuck to it. He worked harder. He started to learn more than just the words "hockey", "eat" and "sleep" in English. On the ice, he struggled to adapt to the smaller ice, the physical game and the speed. But he kept playing. And slowly over the year his game caught up. And despite playing as a checking forward on the Finland U-18 team, Happonen is playing his way back into contention for the World Juniors and Central Scouting noticed his improvement, bumping him up 69 spots in their final rankings.

Happonen is a well rounded, solid hockey player with great skating, strength and very good hands. His hockey IQ is good and his frame is that of an NHL player, he's 6'1" over 200lbs. He looks to be a 3rd line player as a pro and he is undecided about his future after another season in the USHL. Flames discovered this player while keeping up with Müllers play in Everett and followed his progress through the year.

“Once he got comfortable with our group, his game just started to grow and grow. Now, he’s adding an unbelievable offensive touch on our power play. He’s incredibly good down low over the top of the puck, protecting the puck. He’s just a steady worker and game contributor who’s a good skater.” - Jay Varady

"Happonen proved to be a big, strong kid with a live body who likes to play physically." - Redline Report

Waltteri+Hopponen+Winter+Youth+Olympic+Games+2WLOxOuE7_ul.jpg

Round #7, Pick #184 - BRIAN BOWEN (W)- USPHL

It wasn't my intention to draft 5 players from the American junior leagues out of my six picks but that what's happened. While researching Beau Starrett, I discovered Bowen. Bowen was the leading goal-scorer in the newly formed US Premier Hockey League and has another NHL sized frame (6'1", 210lbs), a nose for the net and poise with the puck. His skating is a work in progress, though he's noted for his energy and physical play. Heading to the University of Vermont but will probably suit up for Green Bay in the USHL for a year first. Ryan Kennedy (Hockey News) just named Bowen a sleeper for the 2014 draft, despite his not being rated by CSS.

"Bowen is another quick and shifty forward that Boston has been known for producing. He is an above average skater with a nose for the net who can also finish." - USPHL Prospects

456008.jpg

Round #7, Pick #187 - NICK WOLFF (D) - USHL

Another Yank, but this one is a departure for sure. While the Flames have gone big (Dylan Larkin at 6'1" and 200lbs is the smallest player of the day) they've gone all forwards up until this point. One of only a handful of defenseman the Flames targeted, Wolff, a finalist for Minnesota's Mr. Hockey award. Wolff is 6'4" just under 210lbs but plays even bigger. Known for his hits, Wolff is heading to the University of Minnesota-Duluth after a season in the USHL. While projecting as a defensive defenseman, Wolff is talented with the puck and has a heavy shot.

Wolff is definitely a player whose stock is on the rise because of his compete level and physical nature. USA hockey has taken notice and Wolff was selected for the US roster in the Ivan Hlinka tournament.

"Scouts have a very definitive book on Wolff’s playing style: Rough and tumble. Coming in at 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, the Minnesota high schooler is a brawny blueliner in a circuit historically known for finesse defensemen such as Jake Gardiner and Aaron Ness. Having said that, Wolff does have 17 points through 18 games for the Wildcats." - Ryan Kennedy, Hockey News

"For a large defenseman on the ice, he is mobile and has generated his fair share of offense from the blue line." - Aaron Paitich

"Wolff is a big, punishing defenseman who uses his size advantage and nasty demeanor to play a hard hitting, glove dropping, enforcer type of game. He can also add an offensive element by pinching up into the play and creating an option for his forwards but will need to improve his feet to take another step in development." - Eliteprospects

ed12bhoc.jpg

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I like it. Larkin has upside but has a high floor as well. Could very well be the kind of player who emerges as a very, very useful sim player with well-rounded ratings and enough offence to skate up and down the top three lines. You win with those guys in this league.

Kirkland and Bird give you some roll of the dice upside, although I suppose Kirkland isn't all or nothing. You have been right on guys like Bird before (eg. Anders Lee), so I like your odds here.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
I was hoping Larkin would fall to my pick, but had to settle with Kempe. With Kirkland you really went for the homerun, but i guess he could still be alright even if he doesn't pan out as a top six guy.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I was hoping Larkin would fall to my pick, but had to settle with Kempe. With Kirkland you really went for the homerun, but i guess he could still be alright even if he doesn't pan out as a top six guy.

Yeah, I think Kirkland has the attributes to be a good pro, even if he isn't a top 6. Also, even though I picked him too early, I know Roy was trying to trade up to 40 to get him, and that Jeff liked him. He is ranked 50-60 most places so its only a reach of ten picks at a place in the draft where statistically less than 15% of players get more than 250 games in the NHL. So not much risk really - and next years #2 will probably be in the 35 - 45 range, so it really only cost me a 3rd and 4th to move into this year. Adding Pokke with this years 2nd also made it easier to try the home run...

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
You have been right on guys like Bird before (eg. Anders Lee), so I like your odds here.

Thanks. I believe you have Brian Hart who came from that circuit and who I liked a lot at that draft. Jimmy Vesey, Chris Calnan and Alex Killorn all came from the prep school circuit and the first two look to be following in Killorn/Lee's footsteps. All similar players to Lee and Bird, NHL height, maybe a bit under-developed physically, but have some tools, going the NCAA route where they can develop in their own time.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Yeah, I think Kirkland has the attributes to be a good pro, even if he isn't a top 6. Also, even though I picked him too early, I know Roy was trying to trade up to 40 to get him, and that Jeff liked him. He is ranked 50-60 most places so its only a reach of ten picks at a place in the draft where statistically less than 15% of players get more than 250 games in the NHL. So not much risk really - and next years #2 will probably be in the 35 - 45 range, so it really only cost me a 3rd and 4th to move into this year. Adding Pokke with this years 2nd also made it easier to try the home run...

This is what I get for sharing draft plans. I guess next year I'll have to go Derek Forbort on you with the misdirection.

I wasn't trying quite as hard as you but I had attempted to contact just about everyone in the top half of the 2nd round about their pick. I would have been OK gambling on Kirkland at any point in the 2nd and wouldn't be surprised if he's picked somewhere similar on draft day.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
This is what I get for sharing draft plans. I guess next year I'll have to go Derek Forbort on you with the misdirection.

I wasn't trying quite as hard as you but I had attempted to contact just about everyone in the top half of the 2nd round about their pick. I would have been OK gambling on Kirkland at any point in the 2nd and wouldn't be surprised if he's picked somewhere similar on draft day.

Send me Forbort... besides I think I was the one who brought up JeffKirkland to you :D

I genuinly have no idea where players are gonna go this year. He could go anywhere from 25-100. Bird is most likely not even gonna get drafted.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Thanks. I believe you have Brian Hart who came from that circuit and who I liked a lot at that draft. Jimmy Vesey, Chris Calnan and Alex Killorn all came from the prep school circuit and the first two look to be following in Killorn/Lee's footsteps. All similar players to Lee and Bird, NHL height, maybe a bit under-developed physically, but have some tools, going the NCAA route where they can develop in their own time.

Your experience with Killorn at Harvard is actually one of the reasons I took Hart, despite being lukewarm on his potential. But Hart really needs to take a step forward as a junior. Going the pre school route comes with risk, but there are potential rewards for sure, as your drafting has proven.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

I don't even want to hear about sharing draft plans and the inherent risk involved considering you copped to trying to leap frog me after hearing my plans to take Reinhart. :D

But seriously, watching you guys work the draft improves my own ability every year. It's pretty impressive now that I trust our own draft results as being on the level with what actually happens in terms of player projection. Every single year we have players taken in our draft that are missed in the NHL draft and selected the second time through in higher slots than we had them.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I don't even want to hear about sharing draft plans and the inherent risk involved considering you copped to trying to leap frog me after hearing my plans to take Reinhart. :D

:nod:

Really though, Reinhart is who I wanted dating back to the start of the season. My options at the 3rd pick were one in three players and I wanted to get the guy I had coveted all season. I believe I had told you Reinhart was my preference as well. Kershaw had dozens of options at 39 and chose to snag Kirkland. He's the bad guy here, as usual.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Somehow I feel like I shared my draft plans this year, even though I didn't (and don't, as a rule - why would someone do that?!). Nevertheless, you and your kind sniffed out everybody I was excited about, and then reached into your bag of tricks to get them. I may feel better once the 2015 draft is upon me, but right now I echo Dryden's sentiments. *grumble grumble*

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
:nod:

Really though, Reinhart is who I wanted dating back to the start of the season. My options at the 3rd pick were one in three players and I wanted to get the guy I had coveted all season. I believe I had told you Reinhart was my preference as well. Kershaw had dozens of options at 39 and chose to snag Kirkland. He's the bad guy here, as usual.

I would have taken Draisaitl at 1 had I moved up. How about them apples??? ;)

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Your experience with Killorn at Harvard is actually one of the reasons I took Hart, despite being lukewarm on his potential. But Hart really needs to take a step forward as a junior. Going the pre school route comes with risk, but there are potential rewards for sure, as your drafting has proven.

I think the draft position of these guys is what makes them worthwhile. Lee, Vesey etc. were 7th round picks No loss if they flamette out. Even with Killorn and Bird, a 3rd is a place where I have had far more luck really just going for home runs than times where I've tried to play it safe.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I would have taken Draisaitl at 1 had I moved up. How about them apples??? ;)

I actually talked a bit with Alvaro about the draft and told him that had Reinhart not been so far and away my choice, it wouldn't have been Bennett for me as the first forward. It would have been Draisaitl. I still to this very moment am unsure about what I would have done had Reinhart gone 1st overall between Ekblad and Draisaitl. I wanted a forward pretty badly.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I would have lost a mint had you bet me that Larkin would be the first USNDT prospect to come off ahead of Milano and Tuch. And to Detroit for that matter? You may have to wait but all signs point to that being one hell of a pick. Perfect situation to land in.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I would have lost a mint had you bet me that Larkin would be the first USNDT prospect to come off ahead of Milano and Tuch. And to Detroit for that matter? You may have to wait but all signs point to that being one hell of a pick. Perfect situation to land in.

Thing is that Milano and Tuch had better stats simply because they played with each other on a line with Eichel. Larkin played against teams best forwards and with far less talented line mates. So I don't think its a surprise. Happy about Detroit! Larkin will be a HFNHL rookie in 2021!!!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Post Draft & Prospect Signings:

1. Valeri Nichushkin - In the NHL - Drafted 5th overall 2013
- Needs just a handful of games to hit the 82 game limit and will be signed next off-season.

2. Mirco Müller - In the AHL - Drafted 35th overall 2013
- Had a good taste of pro life with the Worcester Sharks, playing in 14 regular season and playoff games.

3. Ryan Murphy - In the NHL/AHL - Trade from LA Kings
4 * NEW Dylan Larkin - Heading to NCAA - Drafted 18th Overall
5. Calvin de Haan - In the NHL - Trade from Dallas Stars
6. Oscar Dansk - In the OHL - Trade from Nashville Predators
7. Austin Watson - In the AHL - Drafted 12th overall in 2010
8. Anders Lee - In the NHL - Drafted 199th overall in 2008
9. Adam Clendening - In the AHL - Trade with Vancouver
10. Radek Faksa - In the AHL - Trade with Dallas
- Had a wonderful first run as a pro, with 27 regular season and playoff games as the Texas Stars won the Calder Cup. Impressed with his all around game, scoring 5 goals, and becoming a dependable bottom six centre. Will be a full time pro next season and his star is back on the rise.

11.* NEW Ville Pokka - Coming to America - Trade with San Jose
- The Flames are excited about yet another defensive prospect. While he is a little short, Pokka looks to be a well rounded two-way defenseman with great skating and good strength. His defensive game helped Finland to a WJC gold medal and he was +32 as a 20 year old helping Kärpät to the SM-Liiga championship. Signed with the Islanders and will make his NA pro debut this season.

12. Martin Marincin - In the NHL - Trade with Anaheim
13. Oliver Bjorkstrand - In the WHL - Drafted 55th overall in 2013
- Continued his torrential scoring pace through the WHL playoffs helping Portland to the WHL finals. His 16 goals and 33 points in 21 games led all players.

14. Mattias Ekholm - In the NHL - Trade with Vancouver
15. John Klingberg - In the SEL - Trade with Montreal
16. William Carrier - in the QMJHL - Drafted 42nd overall in 2013
17. Laurent Dauphin - In the QMJHL - Drafted 40th overall in 2013
18. Jimmy Vesey - In the NCAA - Drafted 194th overall in 2011
19. Joshua Leivo - In the AHL - Drafted 72nd overall in 2011
20. Justin Kirkland - In the WHL - Drafted 39th overall in 2014

The following players graduated or left the organization from the list a year ago:
1 Zach Kassian – Graduated
5 Alex Killorn - Graduated
7 Dmitri Orlov - Graduated
11 Patrick Wiercioch - Graduated
12 Matt Frattin – Traded
16 Alex Stalock - Graduated
HR Colton Sceviour

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Projected Lines for 2014/15

Killorn - Berglund - Skinner
Setoguchi - Anisimov - Lewis
Colbourne - Handzus* - Kassian
?? - ?? - Kennedy

Handzus may retire, has been released by Chicago and hasn't signed anywhere else yet. That could leave the Flames short 3 forwards. In that case look at the Flames to pick up some salary via trade.

Phaneuf - Sekera
Gardiner - Holden
Orlov - Wiercioch
McBain

Reimer
Khudobin
Stalock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad