HFBoards Top 50 Prospects Ranking #14 (closed)

• Cutter Gauthier - C/LW

• Brandt Clarke - D

• Jakob Pelletier - LW

• Matthew Savoie - C

• Lukas Reichel - C/W

• William Eklund - LW

• Dylan Guenther - RW

• Ville Heinola - D

• Alexander Holtz - RW

• Marco Rossi - C

• Matt Coronato - RW

• Shane Pinto - C

• Cole Perfetti - C/LW

• Logan Stankoven - C

• Olen Zellweger - D

• John Peterka - LW

• Dylan Holloway - C

• other (who?)

• Wyatt Johnston - C

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
:HFB: TOP 50 PROSPECTS

Criteria is 22 and under, 30 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Owen Power - D:sabres18.35.
2. Matty Beniers - C:seattle19.36.
3. Jake Sanderson - D:sens20.37.
4. Luke Hughes - D:devils21.38.
5. Juraj Slafkovsky - LW:habs22.39.
6. Shane Wright - C:seattle23.40.
7. Simon Edvinsson - D:wings24.41.
8. Mason McTavish - C:ducks225.42.
9. Jack Quinn - W:sabres26.43.
10. Logan Cooley - C:coyotes27.44.
11. Simon Nemec - D:devils28.45.
12. Kent Johnson - C:cbj29.46.
13. David Jiricek - D
:cbj

To add:
Bobby Brink - RW
Joakim Kemell - RW
Frank Nazar - C
Jonathan Lekkerimaki - RW
Marco Kasper - C
Hendrix Lapierre - C
Nick Robertson - LW
Vitali Kravtsov - RW
Brennan Othmann - LW
Zachary Bolduc - C
Ridly Greig - C
Maverick Bourque - C
Nikita Chibrikov - RW
Chaz Lucius - C
Sakir Mukhamadullin - D
Luke Evangelista - RW
Thomas Bordeleau - C
Fedor Svechkov - C
Jacob Perrault - RW
Brendan Brisson - C
Topi Niemela - D
Kaiden Guhle - D
Jonatan Berggren - RW
Aatu Raty - C

Past lists:
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 2021)
HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #75 (FINAL) (winter 2020-21)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects (summer 2019)
Top 50 Drafted Prospects 2018: #46 - #50 (summer 2018)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects #50 FINAL (summer 2017)

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Perfetti
Rossi
Holtz
Johnston
Eklund
Peterka
Reichel
Clarke
Zellweger
Pelletier

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Wyatt Johnston.
He scored 165 points through the regular season and playoffs in 83 games played as a D+1 player. Here is how he matches up against Active Players in OHL history.
FireShot Capture 016 - Elite Prospects - OHL Stats All-time totals - www.eliteprospects.com.png

Here was his trophy case for the year.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I'm going Eklund. I also like Perfetti. Anyone know why Guenther doesn't show up... At all on these lists? Seems like a top prospect!

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Wyatt Johnston.
He scored 165 points through the regular season and playoffs in 83 games played as a D+1 player. Here is how he matches up against Active Players in OHL history.
View attachment 571818

Here was his trophy case for the year.
He had a great season in a watered down OHL. More than 40% of the league were rookies and 03's with 40 games experience were veterans.

Chart is misleading a bit, as it is sorted by total points and not ppg. He played more games than most of the elite players on the chart because he wasn't good enough to make Team Canada at Christmas.

For comparison Rossi had similar totals in his draft year and Perfetti and Byfield essentially had same ppg in their draft year and the league was a lot tougher two years ago than it was this year. Rossi, Perfetti and Byfield were the best players in the league in their draft year.

I watched a lot of Johnston over the years and there was a time he was underrated in the scouting community but now he is severely overrated.

Just my 2 cents.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm going Eklund. I also like Perfetti. Anyone know why Guenther doesn't show up... At all on these lists? Seems like a top prospect!

He's in the poll. In general though because he was drafted by the Coyotes.

I'm not a huge Perfetti guy but I don't really see a clearly better option.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He had a great season in a watered down OHL. More than 40% of the league were rookies and 03's with 49 games experience were veterans.

Chart is misleading a bit, as it is sorted by total points and not ppg. He played more games than most of the elite players on the chart because he wasn't good enough to make Team Canada at Christmas.

For comparison Rossi had similar totals in his draft year and Perfetti and Byfield essentially had same ppg in their draft year and the league was a lot tougher two years ago than it was this year.

I watched a lot of Johnston over the years and there was a time he was underrated in the scouting community but now he is severely overrated.

Just my 2 cents.
Completely disagree.

Rossi was a late birthday so he tracks similarly to Johnston as a D+1 all things considered. Johnston was unable to play his draft season due to covid so there is no true way to determine how he would have stacked up against players like Perfetti and Byfield. So it's not a fair comparison IMO.

I think how Johnston bounced back after not playing many meaningful hockey games in over a year shows how good he is over the competition. It's not like Windsor had multiple 100+ point scorers. It was Johnston.... Then everybody else. If you had watched any Windsor games this year you would know that that team was basically a Wyatt Johnston show. It went as far as Johnston would take them. He outscored his nearest teammate by 29 points.

As for your comment about the OHL being watered down - here is how many 1.5 PPG scorers the OHL has seen every year since the 2015/2016 season. Why 1.5? Because it's a good baseline to determine the dominance of the competition by an individual skater in the CHL.

2015-16 - 8
2016-17 - 5
2017-18 - 9
2018-19 - 11
2019-20 - 15
2021-22 - 7

If the league were 'Watered down" as you're suggesting. Shouldn't that number be equal to or more than the season before it? Even if you add Perfetti, Byfield and Perreault who should've reached 1.5PPG's if they had played that's still only 10 players whereas the previous seasons were higher.

Re: Chart with PPG:
If you want to go purely on PPG he is still 9th all-time against players with a good enough sample size. Still really impressive and he it still places him amongst names like Corey Perry, Brandon Saad and Bryan Little.

I think that you're of the perception that he is overrated, while in reality, he is right where he should be after the regular season and playoffs he just had.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: hairylikebear

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Completely disagree.

Rossi was a late birthday so he tracks similarly to Johnston as a D+1 all things considered. Johnston was unable to play his draft season due to covid so there is no true way to determine how he would have stacked up against players like Perfetti and Byfield. So it's not a fair comparison IMO.

I think how Johnston bounced back after not playing many meaningful hockey games in over a year shows how good he is over the competition. It's not like Windsor had multiple 100+ point scorers. It was Johnston.... Then everybody else. If you had watched any Windsor games this year you would know that that team was basically a Wyatt Johnston show. It went as far as Johnston would take them. He outscored his nearest teammate by 29 points.

As for your comment about the OHL being watered down - here is how many 1.5 PPG scorers the OHL has seen every year since the 2015/2016 season. Why 1.5? Because it's a good baseline to determine the dominance of the competition by an individual skater in the CHL.

2015-16 - 8
2016-17 - 5
2017-18 - 9
2018-19 - 11
2019-20 - 15
2021-22 - 7

If the league were 'Watered down" as you're suggesting. Shouldn't that number be equal to or more than the season before it? Even if you add Perfetti, Byfield and Perreault who should've reached 1.5PPG's if they had played that's still only 10 players whereas the previous seasons were higher.

Re: Chart with PPG:
If you want to go purely on PPG he is still 9th all-time against players with a good enough sample size. Still really impressive and he it still places him amongst names like Corey Perry, Brandon Saad and Bryan Little.

I think that you're of the perception that he is overrated, while in reality, he is right where he should be after the regular season and playoffs he just had.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate the discourse, I do like Johnston as a player.

111 points (1.82 ppg)for Perfetti in his draft year has to be more impressive than 124 (1.82 ppg) in your draft +1. Perfetti scored 31 more points than his nearest teammate and Byfield was also on an island in Sudbury while putting up up 1.82 ppg in his draft year.

The league absolutely was watered down. I heard that from GM's, coaches and scouts in the league. Top players left early, and you had a double cohort of players that had never played a game in the league. No doubt Johnston was vastly superior compared to the other players in the league (because it was watered down). To me, having less players score 1.5 shows that the league lacked many actual stars. Other years having more 1.5 scorers was because there were more elite players in the league.

Johnston had one good season. He never dominated minor hockey, never dominated in international hockey (especially average at U18) was not great as a rookie in the OHL (30 points). He has decent pedigree but not elite pedigree. At every stage Perfetti has put up better numbers and it is not close.

I agree, he should be a riser amongst prospects, but not as much as he has.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Clarke definitely next for me, followed by Guenther, Perfetti, and Yurov.

EDIT: Add Peterka to that last grouping as well.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Other - Mintyukov

There are a good number of Ducks fans that have him ahead of Zellweger and close to McTavish, and I think that's right. HP had him ahead of Nemec, in their top 5, and I also think that's right.

My next guys after that would be Reichel, Peterka, and Gauthier.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Appreciate the discourse, I do like Johnston as a player.

111 points (1.82 ppg)for Perfetti in his draft year has to be more impressive than 124 (1.82 ppg) in your draft +1. Perfetti scored 31 more points than his nearest teammate and Byfield was also on an island in Sudbury while putting up up 1.82 ppg in his draft year.

The league absolutely was watered down. I heard that from GM's, coaches and scouts in the league. Top players left early, and you had a double cohort of players that had never played a game in the league. No doubt Johnston was vastly superior compared to the other players in the league (because it was watered down). To me, having less players score 1.5 shows that the league lacked many actual stars. Other years having more 1.5 scorers was because there were more elite players in the league.

Johnston had one good season. He never dominated minor hockey, never dominated in international hockey (especially average at U18) was not great as a rookie in the OHL (30 points). He has decent pedigree but not elite pedigree. At every stage Perfetti has put up better numbers and it is not close.

I agree, he should be a riser amongst prospects, but not as much as he has.

Perfetti followed that up with impressive play in the AHL in his D+1 year and was off to an impressive start in the NHL in his D+2 year. There is no way he should be ranked behind guys that were less impressive in the CHL and haven't even had a sniff of the AHL let alone NHL. Rossi is in much the same boat, but hasn't had the NHL opportunity yet, which puts him a half step behind Perfetti IMO.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Can we talk about something besides points in these polls? Does anyone actually watch players? Feel free to describe what you see and why you're excited about certain players. That would be much more enlightening than useless points comparisons.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
No Guenther? 😲

Sure, Guenther, Gauthier and Rossi are also really good prospects. You could make arguments for 9-10 different prospects at this point. If Guenther was drafted by a team with a bigger (or at least more vocal) fan base, he'd probably have more votes.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Can we talk about something besides points in these polls? Does anyone actually watch players? Feel free to describe what you see and why you're excited about certain players. That would be much more enlightening than useless points comparisons.
Pavel Mintyukov only scored 62 points this season. Don’t understand why you’re so hung up on him. Kevin Korchinski out up similar totals and impressed heavily in the playoffs also.

• Haha
Reactions: majormajor

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Fair, not points related, Perfetti is the only guy left that has established himself in the NHL with top 6 minutes and PP time in his 19 year old season (thats why I am excited). In fact many in Jets land think he will be playing top line minutes this coming season. If he hadn't of gotten injured he would have easily passed the threshold to even be in this poll. He has already proven he can produce and play with elite talent in the NHL, everyone else left in the poll is guess work, a maybe, a could be. Perfetti has already done it, and will only get better.

Top 6 next year is also why he is a good bet for fantasy....

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Fair, not points related, Perfetti is the only guy left that has established himself in the NHL with top 6 minutes and PP time in his 19 year old season (thats why I am excited). In fact many in Jets land think he will be playing top line minutes this coming season. If he hadn't of gotten injured he would have easily past the threshold to even be in this poll. He has already proven he can produce and play with elite talent in the NHL, everyone else left in the poll is guess work, a maybe, a could be. Perfetti has already done it, and will only get better.

What does his play look like at the NHL level? He's not a burner so he tends not to catch my eye.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
What does his play look like at the NHL level? He's not a burner so he tends not to catch my eye.
No he is not a burner, but his straight line speed has improved. It is the east west, cut back ability that is elite. What is truly exceptional, and what allows him to thrive at the highest level is his insane hockey IQ. He can think the game with the best of them and that allows him to be successful when put with elite players like Connor and Dubois. He really had solidified a a role on that line before being injured and totally expect him to play heavy top 6 minutes next year. @surixon any comments you can make, regarding how his play looked at the NHL level?

I encourage you to go look at some video from his play last year. you might change your mind on him. Every point he had in the NHL last year was a primary point.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No he is not a burner, but his straight line speed has improved. It is the east west, cut back ability that is elite. What is truly exceptional, and what allows him to thrive at the highest level is his insane hockey IQ. He can think the game with the best of them and that allows him to be successful when put with elite players like Connor and Dubois. He really had solidified a a role on that line before being injured and totally expect him to play heavy top 6 minutes next year. @surixon any comments you can make, regarding how his play looked at the NHL level?

I encourage you to go look at some video from his play last year. you might change your mind on him. Every point he had in the NHL last year was a primary point.

What's his upside? Prime Stastny?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad