Jakob Chychrun
Brent Burns
Erik Karlsson
Adam Pelech
Noah Dobson

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Heck, what makes Hughes better than Rielly?

In fairness, I think we are in splitting hairs mode for a while and are in a big tier of "the non-elite #1D"

Cause Hughes is a one man breakout. His skating is second to only Makar. His defensive game is under-rated - he's turned Luke Schenn in to a viable big minute d-man. He is an incredible playmaking defenseman. To say he's just 'getting touches' on an average powerplay to inflate his numbers is some of the stupidest crap I've ever read on here.

He's going to clinch the spot and rightfully so. Won't have to hear someone pretend Morgan Reilly is anywhere close in talent. At least its not the Tyson Barrie comparisons Canuck fans had to endure last year.

Reactions: Play

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Miller and Hughes accounted for a lot of the points on an average powerplay. I'm not sure this is the argument in your favor you think it is.

Oh I didn't realize that Hughes was the only D on the list that had a subpar partner! My bad!

No, because you seemingly have shown the inability to comprehend what Hughes did for the powerplay.

Let me know when they had to carry a defensive minded #6-7D for the whole regular season and get ES points.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It feels like Letang is getting dinged a bit just because he's older. But for one season only, i'd still take him over Hughes for my team. Longer term, obviously it's not even a question. But right now? Letang is similarly productive offensively, and quite a bit better all around defensively.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hughes. Can’t wait until the team finally finds a higher end partner for him like most of the guys on this list already have. Luke Schenn is a warrior but Hughes numbers would be even better with a legitimate top 4 guy that could create some offense.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Quinn Hughes is on my favourite team but I wouldn’t choose him in the top 20 because i don’t think he can handle high leverage defensive minutes. I love watching him play hockey but in terms of effectiveness it’s mostly offensively.

Drew Doughty looked like a renaissance man last season before the injury.

It shouldn’t be about only points like it appears to be.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Quinn Hughes is on my favourite team but I wouldn’t choose him in the top 20 because i don’t think he can handle high leverage defensive minutes. I love watching him play hockey but in terms of effectiveness it’s mostly offensively.

Drew Doughty looked like a renaissance man last season before the injury.

It shouldn’t be about only points like it appears to be.

I agree with the overall premise here completely...but after Slavin and Heiskanen winning two of the last three spots, i don't know that you can say it's just "only about points".

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I agree with the overall premise here completely...but after Slavin and Heiskanen winning two of the last three spots, i don't know that you can say it's just "only about points".
“The current discussion” promoting Hughes is almost all about points and who he’s getting those points with.

I missed the previous 8 threads

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Miller and Hughes accounted for a lot of the points on an average powerplay. I'm not sure this is the argument in your favor you think it is.

Oh I didn't realize that Hughes was the only D on the list that had a subpar partner! My bad!

The PP was closer to 5th than it was to 11th. I think you’re really underrating the percentage differences between PPs by calling it average. And if only a handful of teams are good or bad on the PP, and the rest are average, I don’t think this criticism is in your favour the way you think it is. Why would Hughes be held up to have to bring a PP to the level of the Leafs or Edmonton, when they have multiple elite players on their PPs? Hughes came onto a team that was 22nd in the league before his rookie year and immediately made an impact. Meanwhile, Colorado was 0.5% better this year with Makar, MacKinnon and Rantanen on it. How good do you expect Vancouver’s PP to be?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It feels like Letang is getting dinged a bit just because he's older. But for one season only, i'd still take him over Hughes for my team. Longer term, obviously it's not even a question. But right now? Letang is similarly productive offensively, and quite a bit better all around defensively.

Age has nothing to do with it. Letang's been getting underrated on HF for years, even during his prime when he was getting top 5 Norris trophy votes and HF was ranking him outside the top 10.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Age has nothing to do with it. Letang's been getting underrated on HF for years, even during his prime when he was getting top 5 Norris trophy votes and HF was ranking him outside the top 10.
Crosby overshadows everyone on that team though. Hence Malkin being snubbed on the NHL top 100 list for a guy like Toews who looks toasted at 32.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The PP was closer to 5th than it was to 11th. I think you’re really underrating the percentage differences between PPs by calling it average. And if only a handful of teams are good or bad on the PP, and the rest are average, I don’t think this criticism is in your favour the way you think it is. Why would Hughes be held up to have to bring a PP to the level of the Leafs or Edmonton, when they have multiple elite players on their PPs? Hughes came onto a team that was 22nd in the league before his rookie year and immediately made an impact. Meanwhile, Colorado was 0.5% better this year with Makar, MacKinnon and Rantanen on it. How good do you expect Vancouver’s PP to be?

If the Hughes argument is truly hanging its hat on the PP production to argue he is a top 10 all around d-man, I would expect it to be elite.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Hughes. Can’t wait until the team finally finds a higher end partner for him like most of the guys on this list already have. Luke Schenn is a warrior but Hughes numbers would be even better with a legitimate top 4 guy that could create some offense.

Makar and Ekblad had higher end partners. Who else?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hughes is so overrated here.

Rielly >>> Hughes in every aspect of the game AINEC

He's definitely overrated And if you look at the voting, majority of Hughes votes are just Canuck fans which is what always completely invalidates these lists.

That being said... In what world is Rielly better then Hughes :laugh: Neither guy belongs anywhere near the Top 10 but Hughes certainly belongs higher then Rielly.

Riellly is the one who's extremely overrated.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Fair enough. He's always been one of my favourite players, so it's possible i've always kinda overrated him personally, but it has never really felt like he gets the respect he deserves at large. Spent so many years sorta written off as some sort of "offensive defenceman who just posts points because Le Croz and Geno". Even though that wasn't true. To now...i don't even know what the excuse is.

Felt for years like even a lot of Pens fans didn't really respect Letang's contributions. lol.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
He's definitely overrated And if you look at the voting, majority of Hughes votes are just Canuck fans which is what always completely invalidates these lists.

That being said... In what world is Rielly better then Hughes :laugh: Neither guy belongs anywhere near the Top 10 but Hughes certainly belongs higher then Rielly.

Riellly is the one who's extremely overrated.

Rielly is better at offense and defense

tbh I think Hughes is literally the worst Dman on the list right now :laugh:

edit: he's even worse than half the D next up on the list good god...

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If the Hughes argument is truly hanging its hat on the PP production to argue he is a top 10 all around d-man, I would expect it to be elite.

While I didn’t vote for him, I don’t believe his argument is only on the PP. He’s also one of the best transition defensemen in the game, and his ES points are hindered by a weak ES scoring team in general. Regardless, your argument that he’s not elite on the PP is poor. He’s definitely one of the better PP QBs in the game. Your expectations of what one player can do to a team’s PP% are unrealistic, unless you’re just saying he’d have to be superhuman on the PP to justify the ranking. Which I don’t think is necessarily true, though I do agree that his ES play probably isn’t strong enough yet for him to go here

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Quinn Hughes is really f***ing good. It’s him here. I don’t get the criticism about his defensive game. Is he perfect? No but his transition defense is elite and overall he’s above average defensively. His QOC was also at a respectable level last season, he wasn’t as sheltered like he has been in years past.

Pretty good list so far, I think Heiskanen is a bit high but other than that can’t really complain about anything.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Hughes getting overrated drastically again.
Don’t worry, once the poll gets to around the 30th spot Nurse might come up 😉

Letang has never gotten the respect he’s earned. It’s odd

Reactions: Play and sanscosm

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Don’t worry, once the poll gets to around the 30th spot Nurse might come up 😉

Letang has never gotten the respect he’s earned. It’s odd
I mean I fully acknowledge Hughes is better than Nurse, but the gap between the two isn't what you want it to be, that's for certain. Nice and timely for you to make the comparison after an injury ridden year for Nurse though.

Hughes is maybe top 15. Ranked 9 is ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: Play
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad