Salary Cap: HFB Penguins: More Kessel Threads than You Can Shake a Hotdog at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Judging from MJ's interview and his usual style of trying to establish pairs of forwards to play together, I have a feeling he may be thinking of Sutter and Perron being a pair. Him saying he thinks Bennett can play LW, and Duper or Kunitz could play in the top 6 also dovetail with this. So our LW's are Duper, Plots, Kunitz, BB, our RW's are PH, Kessel, Perron, and our centers are Sid, Geno, Sutter and Sundqvist. Only leaves one 4th line RW spot, probably Rust I guess.
Agreed. The way he said it, I really think he wants Sutter and Perron as a pair.

I agree with this, and **** MJ if its how it goes. And by **** him, I mean fire him.
Where do I sign up for the angry mob? If he follows through with it, he should be coaching Wheeling by Christmas. If we need to let him go, better to do it early.

Stan ripped into the idea today. I haven't heard a single hockey person in town say anything even remotely positive about it.

Bennet - Sundqvist - Rust wouldn't be that bad for Beau. Not ideal, but it's not your typical 4th line.
Not bad.

Wilson/Farnham - Sun - Bennett doesn't scare me either.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
We finally get some scoring wingers for our superstar playmakers, and people want to ship out our second best goal scoring winger? We need scoring depth, and we gave up a 1st rounder for him. Unless we're getting back another scoring winger, why would we trade Perron?

Cause we can't have nice things.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
We finally get some scoring wingers for our superstar playmakers, and people want to ship out our second best goal scoring winger? We need scoring depth, and we gave up a 1st rounder for him. Unless we're getting back another scoring winger, why would we trade Perron?

Ppeople are obsessed with the 09 team that got lucky and won with scraps.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Agreed. The way he said it, I really think he wants Sutter and Perron as a pair.

I don't get it though... Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis actually makes sense as a 3rd line. Dupuis and Kunitz really can't handle top line minutes for a full season anymore, and they mix physicality with scoring. It also gives Sutter some decent talent for once. I'm far from a Sutter fan, but he deserves some decent talent around him before we just give up on him. Putting Perron, a goal scorer, with our worse playmaking center on the roster doesn't seem like a recipe for success.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Perron and Sutter don't even make sense as a pair, though. Maybe as a pear.

I'm really not sold on Mike Johnston the team manager. He seems smart, like, tactically, but his roster/game management leave a lot to be desired. And by a lot, I mean like... everything.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
They need to figure out the contract situations with Sutter and Perron. There's no point in trying to make Sutter happy by spreading out the wealth in talent if he's not coming back next year. If he wants to pout, he's only hurting his value next summer.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Note with Perron that he only got injured in the last game against buffalo.

What if perron stinks even with extended top six time? That is my worry.

Again, he had absolutely no training last off-season due to injury. He ran out of gas. Why does anyone think the last 20 games of the season are a better representation of what he can do than the rest of his career, including the first 20 games he was here in which he was very good?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
outside of Sid (and Fleury), name the Penguins players who looked good during the last 2 months of the season.

**** happens. Please don't judge players on small sample sizes.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They need to figure out the contract situations with Sutter and Perron. There's no point in trying to make Sutter happy by spreading out the wealth in talent if he's not coming back next year. If he wants to pout, he's only hurting his value next summer.

there's no point in spreading the wealth to Sutter because he's not very good, either. I really don't want him back. I wouldn't pay him a dime more than he makes right now. And I wouldn't be happy to give him an extension at that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
outside of Sid (and Fleury), name the Penguins players who looked good during the last 2 months of the season.

**** happens. Please don't judge players on small sample sizes.

Hornqvist and......

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I'm not blaming Melrose for calling out something that a lot of posters on this board won't look at. Our defense isn't very good and we don't stand a chance at a cup if we can't add to it.

We went from one end of the spectrum to the other.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not blaming Melrose for calling out something that a lot of posters on this board won't look at. Our defense isn't very good and we don't stand a chance at a cup if we can't add to it.

Woah woah woah. Wait a second.

MAYBE the defense is bad. The problem with the defense, right now, is it's like 31 flavors of question marks. I don't think anyone, especially Jerry Melrose, who has done exactly 0 analysis of these players, should be calling it BAD.

It might wind up being BAD. Or, you know, Maatta and Letang stay healthy, Dumoulin finds his confidence, Lovejoy rebounds, and Pouliot and Cole perform well.

NONE OF THAT STUFF IS UNREASONABLE. I'm far-more concerned about

1) GETTING THE **** RID OF SCUDERI
2) Staying healthy.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC

If we can add a physical d-man at the deadline, I'll be a happy camper.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Hornqvist sort of struggled down the stretch, too, I thought.

Obviously turned it on in the playoffs, and he was hurt, but my overall point was that the entire team tanked.

(also, before people jump on me for saying "Hornqvist struggled" dude helps out even when he's not producing, I get it. I love me some Hornqvist. Okay.)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Woah woah woah. Wait a second.

MAYBE the defense is bad. The problem with the defense, right now, is it's like 31 flavors of question marks. I don't think anyone, especially Jerry Melrose, who has done exactly 0 analysis of these players, should be calling it BAD.

It might wind up being BAD. Or, you know, Maatta and Letang stay healthy, Dumoulin finds his confidence, Lovejoy rebounds, and Pouliot and Cole perform well.

NONE OF THAT STUFF IS UNREASONABLE. I'm far-more concerned about

1) GETTING THE **** RID OF SCUDERI
2) Staying healthy.

Dude, we hate how much our team loves experience. But we also can't win without it. Obviously.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011

Not picking on you here, just picked your post cause I want to touch on this subject. As opposed to who? Kunitz, Dupuis, or plotnikov, or Bennett? Perron should be our 1lw, starting the season, if he fails then so be it. He's our most skilled option imo, and it's not even close. There's unknown variables that could happen, especially on that 2lw. But I'd give perron first crack to play on the top line. If it's hornqvist w/87 instead of Kessel, I think it's even more imperative that perron plays there. Because as much as I love horny let's be honest here ideally we don't want him carrying the puck through the neutral zone alot. At least perron can take some of that load off of 87.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

I guarantee 25+30 out of Perron if he sticks in the top 6 all year/stays healthy. I have that much faith in him. I love the heart of this kid. (I realize the rib injury was stated it happened against Buffalo.. I really have a hard time believing that.. the guy was a completely different player when he first got here and at the end of the year.. and it wasn't just his finishing ability. Seriously he got here and was flying out there. There were nights he was the best player on the ice.. then it just started crashing down. It was definitely a skating issue. That's what I saw. Maybe a conditioning issue. Not that he's a speedster, but his skating was seriously hampering him)

Seriously. I remember that game, Perron was great. If Crosby/Malkin go down, it's going to be nice to have two wingers who can still carry the line. Perron is so underrated here.

I've been trying to find the exact game but just can't locate it. But seriously, I remember all the post game threads last year. Not just by me every game, but everyone had him as a plus constantly. To me, you need to separate him and Kessel, because those are the two wings that can create on their own. The fact that we are even talking about him potentially being used with Sutter makes me :shakehead

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Compare Perron to Malkin.lmao.

who scored more down the stretch and in the playoffs? Perron.

Did I say he's better? No, not even close. I'm saying a small sample is meaningless, because if we use the same sample for Malkin we'd have to come to an even worse conclusion than we do with Perron, which is obviously ridiculous. Both are much better than they looked at the end of last season. I point to the rest of each of their careers (including a month earlier last year) as evidence of that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If Johnston puts Perron with Sutter then he needs to go, but the bigger concern is if it's more of this stupid belief that Sutter is a top 6 centre waiting to unleash his upside on the world. I don't think it's just Johnston following that belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad