Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Dr. Jan is though; just because you draft in the top 10 doesn't mean you're going to get a great guy (see Rossi, Holtz). More so, some of those guys I listed were drafted outside the top 10 like Kulich, Zellweger and Ceulemans.

But he also highlighted the issue, Minnesota has done a good job of where they are drafting, but you still need skill and talent like Cooley or Fantilli or Hughes to go with that depth. I can't think of a team off the top of my head in the past 10 years that didn't have a top 5 pick (or used one to get more talent) that won the Stanley Cup.

These types of players can be signed in UFA or traded for.

The team hasn’t had the cap to supplement the roster with these types of players, but they’re going to be able to over the next several years.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Ceulemans is elite? Shit, I must've missed that.

You listed quite a few names that are not "sure fire". There might be 10 of those in the whole league.

Where did I say elite? I rank Ceulemans similar to Faber that is all. Also if you want to throw Ceuleman's out that's fine.

Wallstedt isn't a sure fire either.

He didn't move the goal posts. He asked why Ostlund was included, but Ohgren excluded. I think that's a valid question.

I would also argue that Yurov has as much upside as some of the players you listed, however the likelihood of him reaching that potential might be less, but that remains to be seen as I don't think anyone has seen him with any amount of consistency.

Yurov is such a wild card since he isn't getting any time in the KHL and what we have is as you mention stat watching and his occasional highlights. He is doing fine in the MHL, but it'd be nice if he had some more meaningful time in the KHL instead of possible projections based off of other players his age.

These types of players can be signed in UFA or traded for.

The team hasn’t had the cap to supplement the roster with these types of players, but they’re going to be able to over the next several years.

It's getting harder and harder to sign those type of players; Pietrangelo got 8.8 million and he's probably going to drop off. I think the last big name moved was...Gaudreau? When was the last time a not-out-of-his-prime top 10 player signed? Pietrangelo?

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I see Faber as a top 3 defenseman for the Wild in his prime; in terms of value, Faber seems to be pretty underrated among a lot of Wild fans. The fact that he stepped into the NHL and the playoffs and looked pretty good is such a massive understatement. There aren't a lot of players that can do that.
This is some incredible gaslighting. Underrated? Is that a joke?? He’s overrated based on 1) he’s a former gopher and 2) he didn’t get scored on playing #6 minutes in the playoffs.

Both Faber and Ohgren are middle of the lineup guys with an outside chance of being top pair/top line.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is some incredible gaslighting. Underrated? Is that a joke?? He’s overrated based on 1) he’s a former gopher and 2) he didn’t get scored on playing #6 minutes in the playoffs.

Both Faber and Ohgren are middle of the lineup guys with an outside chance of being top pair/top line.

How is he overrated? Most of the discussion surrounding Faber has been tepid to mediocre. There is even a poll asking if he's going to be better than Dumba (defensively probably, offensively no). As you just mentioned, Faber is a middle of the lineup guy with an outside chance? I say he has a good chance of being a top 3 guy, if not top 2 in his prime.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
How is he overrated? Most of the discussion surrounding Faber has been tepid to mediocre. There is even a poll asking if he's going to be better than Dumba (defensively probably, offensively no). As you just mentioned, Faber is a middle of the lineup guy with an outside chance? I say he has a good chance of being a top 3 guy, if not top 2 in his prime.
I literally just said in my post how he is overrated. There are a lot of dissenting voices because he is overrated based on the list this group voted on. #2 over guys who have been better for every second prior to Faber playing #6 minutes in the playoffs.

I mean, if you say Faber has a good chance then Ohgren probably has a good chance of being a 1st line winger too. The team is probably extremely mediocre in that instance.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

So is Walker.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, and some of us don’t think he should even be on the list due to his age. But here he is on the list.

Maybe, if he would have played third line in the playoffs, he would be a top 5 prospect!
Someone is salty because the Badgers suck :sarcasm:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, and some of us don’t think he should even be on the list due to his age. But here he is on the list.

Maybe, if he would have played third line in the playoffs, he would be a top 5 prospect!
Recently turned 24 years old and 65 professional games (86% of which are AHL)... hardly a capital crime.

It's funny how you rail against people caring that these guys are former Gophers, when it's quite clear that you care more than any of us (including myself in this, even though I couldn't care less about Walker).

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

I don’t think there’s as much of a crossover between Gophers fans and Wild fans as you think. Even if there is, I can’t imagine that would significantly skew someone’s opinion of a player.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don’t think there’s as much of a crossover between Gophers fans and Wild fans as you think. Even if there is, I can’t imagine that would significantly skew someone’s opinion of a player.
I would think it'd be an opposite.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
#2 over guys who have been better for every second prior to Faber playing #6 minutes in the playoffs.

I mean, if you say Faber has a good chance then Ohgren probably has a good chance of being a 1st line winger too. The team is probably extremely mediocre in that instance.

Other than Wallstedt, who has been better than Faber? 2 x WJC (One Gold), Captaining one of them, Olympic participant, All-Big Ten Freshman Team, All-Big First Team, Big Ten Defenseman of the Year x 2, First Team All-American, only 20 years old.

How many players in Minnesota's prospect group has that list?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Other than Wallstedt, who has been better than Faber? 2 x WJC (One Gold), Captaining one of them, Olympic participant, All-Big Ten Freshman Team, All-Big First Team, Big Ten Defenseman of the Year x 2, First Team All-American, only 20 years old.

Honestly, the only reason I have Faber over any of the other d-men is because he's a RD and has an open road to a NHL roster spot. If he was a LD then he'd be just another one to add to the pile of Hunt, Lambos, ROR, etc. Basically another ones fighting for time in the AHL next season.

I have Stramel and Ohgren (to a lesser extent Milne) high on my list for similar reasons. They aren't really being blocked to take a bottom-6 NHL spot.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Most of these accolades have no direct comparable to leagues like the KHL, SHL, etc. Rendering them useless to debate because they are meaningless. The one's that are comparable, like captaining a WJC team, are pretty common amongst our players. Ohgren was captain of Sweden. Rossi of Austria. None of that really matters to me. What matters is who is a better player.

Khusnutdinov is a better player.

Yurov is a better player.

Rossi has been a better player at every level but the NHL.

There's debate that Ohgren is a better player.

I’ve been told that Peart is basically the same guy as Faber. Funny how one is #2 on the list and the other is #9.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Most of these accolades have no direct comparable to leagues like the KHL, SHL, etc. Rendering them useless to debate because they are meaningless. The one's that are comparable, like captaining a WJC team, are pretty common amongst our players. Ohgren was captain of Sweden. Rossi of Austria. None of that really matters to me. What matters is who is a better player.

I’ve been told that Peart is basically the same guy as Faber. Funny how one is #2 on the list and the other is #9.

I'm guessing the VHL/MHL and I know that the CHL definitely has position player of the year awards and such. They also have All-Star Teams and other things like that. So saying there isn't a direct comparable is hogwash.

Khus and Yurov are hard to compare, partly because they are playing in a men's league. Khus MAYBE comparable, but Yurov isn't at this point and Khusnutdinov was sheltered in his 21-22 season.

And that's what counts. Rossi is a good tweener so far. But he hasn't made it a jump.

How is Ohgren better? What makes him stand out that makes you think above all the scouts he's going to be a top line player? His one playoff series?

And I've never heard Peart being the same guy as Faber. I've seen a lot of praise for Peart AND that he's probably the best left handed defenseman in the group, but he doesn't have the accolades that Faber has.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

For me, being a captain does make you a better player, or at least, a better piece of a greater puzzle that is a better team.

In a vacuum and on its own, probably not. But I treat on-ice skills the same way - all as small positive signs/indicators and tools that you can mold but all useless in isolation. Like cooking ingredients to something bigger. But you add a good player + leadership skills + decent size, and you have a recipe of something special. Someone who can produce when they are on the ice but also keeps morale up, keeps his teammate motivated and competitive, on the bench, in the lockerroom, and during training.

A leader's useless if he doesn't perform on the ice but there is also something lacking from a talented player that doesn't get involved with his team.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm guessing the VHL/MHL and I know that the CHL definitely has position player of the year awards and such. They also have All-Star Teams and other things like that. So saying there isn't a direct comparable is hogwash.

Khus and Yurov are hard to compare, partly because they are playing in a men's league. Khus MAYBE comparable, but Yurov isn't at this point and Khusnutdinov was sheltered in his 21-22 season.

And that's what counts. Rossi is a good tweener so far. But he hasn't made it a jump.

How is Ohgren better? What makes him stand out that makes you think above all the scouts he's going to be a top line player? His one playoff series?

And I've never heard Peart being the same guy as Faber. I've seen a lot of praise for Peart AND that he's probably the best left handed defenseman in the group, but he doesn't have the accolades that Faber has.
These are not the same as "big ten freshman of the year" awards though. That comparable would be like NCAA player of the year (Hobey Baker), which Faber obviously didn't win.

I've been told for the past three weeks that men's league automatically makes the player better if they showed they can handle that level.

Put it this way, if you had to pick one player to keep going forward out of Faber, Yurov, and Khusnutdinov, you would pick Faber? I just can't bring myself to do that. Maybe over Rossi because of his lack of performance in the NHL.

Did you seriously just say "his one playoff series" after how far people have moved Faber up due to his ability to play #6 minutes in the NHL playoffs? Do you not see the irony of that? Btw, it wasn't just one series. They made it all the way to the end and just fell short. And if you look at Ohgren's history, he has performed in every single playoff series he has played in.

What I like about Ohgren is that he's a two way player with great goal scoring ability. He had a down year due to an injury. I expect a nice bounce back season this year. He reminds of Landeskog-lite in the same way that others view Faber as McDonagh-lite.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
These are not the same as "big ten freshman of the year" awards though. That comparable would be like NCAA player of the year (Hobey Baker), which Faber obviously didn't win.

I've been told for the past three weeks that men's league automatically makes the player better if they showed they can handle that level.

Put it this way, if you had to pick one player to keep going forward out of Faber, Yurov, and Khusnutdinov, you would pick Faber? I just can't bring myself to do that. Maybe over Rossi because of his lack of performance in the NHL.

Did you seriously just say "his one playoff series" after how far people have moved Faber up due to his ability to play #6 minutes in the NHL playoffs? Do you not see the irony of that? Btw, it wasn't just one series. They made it all the way to the end and just fell short. And if you look at Ohgren's history, he has performed in every single playoff series he has played in.

What I like about Ohgren is that he's a two way player with great goal scoring ability. He had a down year due to an injury. I expect a nice bounce back season this year. He reminds of Landeskog-lite in the same way that others view Faber as McDonagh-lite.

I'm lower on Marat K (he's small, and I question his shot) than most everyone. Yurov is a complete question mark so I really don't know where to rank him. So I have several players over them including Faber.

I do think Faber has a lower ceiling than than some other prospects, but he also has a higher floor and the opportunity due to roster construction.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
For me, being a captain does make you a better player, or at least, a better piece of a greater puzzle that is a better team.

In a vacuum and on its own, probably not. But I treat on-ice skills the same way - all as small positive signs/indicators and tools that you can mold but all useless in isolation. Like cooking ingredients to something bigger. But you add a good player + leadership skills + decent size, and you have a recipe of something special. Someone who can produce when they are on the ice but also keeps morale up, keeps his teammate motivated and competitive, on the bench, in the lockerroom, and during training.

A leader's useless if he doesn't perform on the ice but there is also something lacking from a talented player that doesn't get involved with his team.
To me, whether or not you have a C on your chest doesn't mean you are or are not a leader, a team player or a good teammate. Plenty of players who are good leaders and have good character never have had a C or A on their chest. We also have plenty of captains in the system. It doesn't bother me one bit that a player like Yurov has never been captain. I don't think that should hinder his value as a prospect at all.

I'm lower on Marat K (he's small, and I question his shot) than most everyone. Yurov is a complete question mark so I really don't know where to rank him. So I have several players over them including Faber.

I do think Faber has a lower ceiling than than some other prospects, but he also has a higher floor and the opportunity due to roster construction.
How do you rank these three players: Faber, Ohgren, Stramel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad