Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Lorenz! I was really high on him before the 2022 draft and while didn't do great statwise in 22-23 season, it was just one season, and he's still a skilled 6-2 hardworking forechecker who was a 2nd round pick last year.

I've basically lost faith in Firstov and Masters, I'm a bit careful with him as while 65pts in 66 games is great, he was around 11th in dmen scoring in WHL (the league's scoring has been up compared to previous years) and at only 6-0 176lbs, I'm curious if he will translate to the pros. So I'm going with the slight mystery box of Lorenz.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Lorenz feels like such a dud draft pick with Hutson going 6 picks later. Wonder if we would’ve selected him if we didn’t trade away that #57 pick for Fleury (it got us Gus though so it all works out in the end).

Kind of a few notable misses in the late 1st and 2nd rounds the past couple draft years, but it’s still early and 31 other teams missed on him too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Went with the guy playing ok(I think?) in the 2nd best league in the world(I think?).

I would love to see a series between the AHL/SHL/KHL Champs at the end of the year, though i know that there are a few roadblocks to making it happen. I think it would give the AHL, at least, a nudge towards improving, or at least changing their style of play, and it wouldn't hurt the other leagues, either. Would create a lot of excitement, IMO, and possibly, a bit of cash. I'd pay to watch those games.

Will have to wait till the political situation in the East settles(nice way of saying till Russia stops invading Ukraine).

Could also have gone with S. Johansson, but i need to see him come back this year with 15 lbs. of muscle and an attitude, and i doubt that is going to happen. He's got length, some skill, and is ok defensively, but i hate feeling sorry for guys when they go into puck battles, especially when they are 6'3".

Reactions: BagHead

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Man after like the 9th/10th guy, it really drops off. And there is a huge difference between the 4th/5th and the 6th/7th.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Man after like the 9th/10th guy, it really drops off. And there is a huge difference between the 4th/5th and the 6th/7th.
Well, to be fair, some of us had the players listed at 4/5 at 2/3 and the players at 2/3 much closer to Ohgren and Stramel at 6/7.

I don’t think there’s a huge difference in value between Faber and Ohgren. That’s 2 v 6.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well, to be fair, some of us had the players listed at 4/5 at 2/3 and the players at 2/3 much closer to Ohgren and Stramel at 6/7.

I don’t think there’s a huge difference in value between Faber and Ohgren. That’s 2 v 6.

I see Faber as a top 3 defenseman for the Wild in his prime; in terms of value, Faber seems to be pretty underrated among a lot of Wild fans. The fact that he stepped into the NHL and the playoffs and looked pretty good is such a massive understatement. There aren't a lot of players that can do that.

As mentioned, I'm curious to see how Ohgren turns out. His offense seems to have finally caught on at the end of the season (playoffs), but we'll see if it is sustainable. Most have him pegged as a Swiss-Army type of player that plays in the middle 6, chips in offensively and defensively. A poor man's Joel Eriksson-Ek, which is valuable but not as valuable as a top 3 pairing right handed defenseman.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I’d have to imagine that in most prospect pools, 11-20 are notably worse than 1-10. Just a hunch though.

Yes, I suspect that is a case for most teams, and most teams have a cut off point between 5-7 as well. Just for a team that gets a lot of praise for their prospect pool, you look at the list and go huh, is that it? I don't know, like after Wallstedt and Faber, there really aren't a lot of franchise players or even elite players. I think Yurov and Khus are going to be good, but we'll see. After that it just...blech. Rossi, Ohgren, Stramel, Lambos ... they don't do anything. Seat fillers?

Heidt I'm most intrigued about as Minnesota finally went with skill and a boom or bust type over safe.

Edit: Also I still think Minnesota has a top 10 prospect pool, but not top 5.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yes, I suspect that is a case for most teams, and most teams have a cut off point between 5-7 as well. Just for a team that gets a lot of praise for their prospect pool, you look at the list and go huh, is that it? I don't know, like after Wallstedt and Faber, there really aren't a lot of franchise players or even elite players. I think Yurov and Khus are going to be good, but we'll see. After that it just...blech. Rossi, Ohgren, Stramel, Lambos ... they don't do anything. Seat fillers?

Heidt I'm most intrigued about as Minnesota finally went with skill and a boom or bust type over safe.

Edit: Also I still think Minnesota has a top 10 prospect pool, but not top 5.
How many other teams have more than 2 "sure fire" prospects?

P10p

May 15, 2012
I was actually looking at this list and thinking the exact opposite. The fact that we are still listing quality prospects at 20 is amazing.

Reactions: 57special

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How many other teams have more than 2 "sure fire" prospects?

Arizona (Cooley, Guenther, Geekie)
Anaheim (Carlsson, Mintyukov, Zellweger)
Buffalo (Benson, Savoie, Kulich)
Chicago (Bedard, Nazar, Korchinski)
Columbus (Fantilli, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Ceulemans)
New Jersey (Nemec, Hughes)
San Jose (Smith, Eklund)

New Jersey and San Jose are in a similar field as Minnesota, though I have San Jose and New Jersey slightly higher as Nemec and Hughes have a much higher upside than Faber and possibly Wallstedt and Smith and Eklund have a much higher upside than Faber and possibly Wallstedt. Arizona I am giving some credit to for Geekie, he suffered an injury last season, but seems to have recovered.

I didn't even put goalies. I know Buffalo has Levi, Anaheim has Dostal, and apparently New Jersey has a guy named Schmid, Chicago Commesso and Arizona Hrbal.

The biggest issue is that none of Minnesota top skating prospects match ANY of these teams top skating prospects. Cooley, Carlsson, Benson (or Savoie or Kulich), Bedard, Fantilli, Nemec, Smith/Eklund are a notch above Faber/Rossi/Yurov at this point.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Arizona (Cooley, Guenther, Geekie)
Anaheim (Carlsson, Mintyukov, Zellweger)
Buffalo (Benson, Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund)
Chicago (Bedard, Nazar, Korchinski)
Columbus (Fantilli, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Ceulemans)
New Jersey (Nemec, Hughes)
San Jose (Smith, Eklund)

New Jersey and San Jose are in a similar field as Minnesota, though I have San Jose and New Jersey slightly higher as Nemec and Hughes have a much higher upside than Faber and possibly Wallstedt and Smith and Eklund have a much higher upside than Faber and possibly Wallstedt. Arizona I am giving some credit to for Geekie, he suffered an injury last season, but seems to have recovered.

I didn't even put goalies. I know Buffalo has Levi, Anaheim has Dostal, and apparently New Jersey has a guy named Schmid, Chicago Commesso and Arizona Hrbal.

The biggest issue is that none of Minnesota top skating prospects match ANY of these teams top skating prospects. Cooley, Carlsson, Benson (or Savoie or Kulich), Bedard, Fantilli, Nemec, Smith/Eklund are a notch above Faber/Rossi/Yurov at this point.
Those teams definitely all have something in common.

Also, not sure why Ostlund is on there if we can't count Ohgren.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Those teams definitely all have something in common.

Also, not sure why Ostlund is on there if we can't count Ohgren.

Sorry was thinking of someone else with Ostlund.

And they asked and now the goalposts are being moved. Minnesota has depth that's not what we're discussing. What we're discussing is the upside of that depth and how clear the lines are. I'm a pretty big fan of Stramel myself, but I cannot ignore that there are a lot of warts to his game that take away from not seeing him as a middle 6/bottom 6 center similar to Charlie Coyle.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Sorry was thinking of someone else with Ostlund.

And they asked and now the goalposts are being moved. Minnesota has depth that's not what we're discussing. What we're discussing is the upside of that depth and how clear the lines are. I'm a pretty big fan of Stramel myself, but I cannot ignore that there are a lot of warts to his game that take away from not seeing him as a middle 6/bottom 6 center similar to Charlie Coyle.
I didn't move the goalposts. Stop projecting.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
While it’d be great to have Top 20 prospects, I think there’s an argument that can be made that having a deeper pool is a more favorable situation.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I didn't move the goalposts. Stop projecting.
Dr. Jan is though; just because you draft in the top 10 doesn't mean you're going to get a great guy (see Rossi, Holtz). More so, some of those guys I listed were drafted outside the top 10 like Kulich, Zellweger and Ceulemans.

But he also highlighted the issue, Minnesota has done a good job of where they are drafting, but you still need skill and talent like Cooley or Fantilli or Hughes to go with that depth. I can't think of a team off the top of my head in the past 10 years that didn't have a top 5 pick (or used one to get more talent) that won the Stanley Cup.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Dr. Jan is though; just because you draft in the top 10 doesn't mean you're going to get a great guy (see Rossi, Holtz). More so, some of those guys I listed were drafted outside the top 10 like Kulich, Zellweger and Ceulemans.

But he also highlighted the issue, Minnesota has done a good job of where they are drafting, but you still need skill and talent like Cooley or Fantilli or Hughes to go with that depth. I can't think of a team off the top of my head in the past 10 years that didn't have a top 5 pick (or used one to get more talent) that won the Stanley Cup.
Ceulemans is elite? Shit, I must've missed that.

You listed quite a few names that are not "sure fire". There might be 10 of those in the whole league.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010

He didn't move the goal posts. He asked why Ostlund was included, but Ohgren excluded. I think that's a valid question.

I would also argue that Yurov has as much upside as some of the players you listed, however the likelihood of him reaching that potential might be less, but that remains to be seen as I don't think anyone has seen him with any amount of consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad