HF Retro Game of the Year - 2009 - Assassin's Creed II Wins

Game of the year back in 2009?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So we have game of the year votes from 2011 to 2017 but none from before, so why not do it now?

Slightly different rules since we're talking about old games. Votes can be changed, so if you hear a case or debate it out maybe you'll come out on the other side and you can change it.

Previous years:
2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31%
2016 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 20%
2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 35%
2014 - South Park: The Stick of Truth - 15%
2013 - The Last of Us - 29%
2012 - The Walking Dead - 20%
2011 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 48%
2010 - Red Dead Redemption - 31.6%

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Batman for me.

The gold standard for all superhero video games once it came out. Simple, but addicting combat, awesome implementation of stealth, and you actually feel like Batman. Something very few superhero games have gotten right. (although Insomniac's upcoming Spiderman game looks very promising)

There's surprisingly more good games than i thought from that year though. ACII is easily the best of its series, Borderlands was a solid FPS/RPG hybrid (where's 3 tho), Minecraft was obviously a big ****ing deal. Then you got the solid MP entries with league/MW2/Street Fighter IV.

I nominate New Super Mario Bros Wii for worst game in hindsight because it started an insufferable trend of pumping out the exact same 2D platformer for like 5 years while 3D Mario games took a back seat (even galaxy 2 was kinda a cut/paste job)

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Vote minecraft because of the cultural impact the game has had even 10 years after its launch. AC2 was my second choice because of the improvements it made on the series

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Arkham Asylum. I still think it’s the best of the three. I played the remaster again a month ago and it still holds up. I preferred the smaller, intimate setting to the open world of the follow ups.

Reactions: SniperHF

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
My 6 year old is completely obsessed with Minecraft. When he’s not playing Minecraft, all he wants to do is watch YouTube videos of people playing Minecraft, and when he’s not doing that, he wants to read books about Minecraft. Of which there are apparently new ones coming out all the time.

That’s a pretty impressive and long-lasting impact for a game that came out two years before he was even born.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
4-6 games I could vote for. They’re all pretty even in their own right. It comes down to fun for me I think.

When does the poll end. Think I’ll wait till the last day

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Super close between Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed, but I'm going to go with AC2. Loved that game so much, and Ezio was such a great protagonist.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
The only game on this list I've played was "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" and it was overrated garbage IMO. I bought it right when it came out and beat it and sold it within like 2 days.

So I went with Minecraft due to its cultural impact. Even though it doesn't interest me in the the slightest... :laugh:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah i have to be honest I dont get the love for MW2, I always hated COD multiplayer so that never hooked me and the story mode was alright same as always was. Like one of the points you hear for how amazing it is is that the characters you play as die and dont come back as part of the story, but I'm pretty sure that happened before and after so thats far from ground breaking. The story mode was an extremely on rails experience like all cod games, which to be honest I dont mind. Some of my favorite cod levels are tank and turret missions.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yeah i have to be honest I dont get the love for MW2, I always hated COD multiplayer so that never hooked me and the story mode was alright same as always was. Like one of the points you hear for how amazing it is is that the characters you play as die and dont come back as part of the story, but I'm pretty sure that happened before and after so thats far from ground breaking. The story mode was an extremely on rails experience like all cod games, which to be honest I dont mind. Some of my favorite cod levels are tank and turret missions.

Lol you just answered your question in your first sentence multiplayer for mw2 was ridiculously fun and the reason I voted for it. Enjoyed a fair many other games on the list but i got the most satisfaction and enjoyment playing mw2 online with friends.

The single player mode is just a tutorial for multiplayer as far as I'm concerned

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Crappy year.

I think I voted Left 4 Dead 2 because I played it more than anything else.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Lol you just answered your question in your first sentence multiplayer for mw2 was ridiculously fun and the reason I voted for it. Enjoyed a fair many other games on the list but i got the most satisfaction and enjoyment playing mw2 online with friends.

The single player mode is just a tutorial for multiplayer as far as I'm concerned

I might be alone, but I thought MW2 was one of their more interesting campaigns. :laugh:

Much more up and personal than most, plus they actually made it in colour.

The multiplayer wasn't great IMO. It was chaotic nonsense.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Demon's Souls easily.

You know, when I think about it, I can't think of much that Dark Souls has over Demon's Souls save for the open world structure.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
MW2 is a great example of "if everyone is overpowered, no one is"

Oh let me get into a game quick. Ah, i see the enemy team has a harrier, AC-130 and an attack heli out. Interesting. :laugh:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
It was tough between AC2, Arkham Asylum and MW2. I ended up voting for Assassins Creed because that was my introduction into the series and instantly became my favorite game to play. A compelling story with amazing characters, Ezio as the perfect protagonist. They're remastering Assassins Creed Rogue and I was disappointed they weren't going to do AC2. The first time I heard about the game was a GameInformer review of it where they gave it a 9.75 and my dad recommended it to me and that was that.

I never played Arkham Asylum, but I know that game was was extremely popular and I've seen videos on it and it looked like fun.

My dad and I have played all the COD leading up to MW2 except World at War, but we never played any of the multiplayer up. MW2 was our first experience online in any game and we absolutely adored it. The game was full of glitches, and hackers and flat out broken with some of the perks. But it was fun as hell and I don't think any Call of Duty since then has reached that peak level. And obviously it continued its story from the first modern warfare which is still the best story within the series. I'm hoping for a remastered version one day where they fix everything that was once broken from the original.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow what a gaming year...

ACII is definitely the best of the AC franchise, just loved Enzo and Renaissance Italy. Then add in Batman and Uncharted there with a splash of Mario/Luigi. But the game of the year for me is ODST, I love Halo and ODST has the best storyline, atmosphere, and characters of any Halo game.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Wow what a gaming year...

ACII is definitely the best of the AC franchise, just loved Enzo and Renaissance Italy. Then add in Batman and Uncharted there with a splash of Mario/Luigi. But the game of the year for me is ODST, I love Halo and ODST has the best storyline, atmosphere, and characters of any Halo game.

Black Flag is better in my opnion. The piratey-goodness sets it apart.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Black Flag is better in my opnion. The piratey-goodness sets it apart.

AC2 definetely isn’t the best. It’s not even the best of the ezio games. It can be somebodies favorite but the combat in that game now pretty much knocks it down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad