HF Retro Game of the Year - 2009 - Assassin's Creed II Wins

Game of the year back in 2009?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I've only played two of the listed games as the others were not my cup of tea but DA:O lost me in the void so nothing to vote for but AC 2.
But that works well for me, AC2 is my favourite AC to this day and it everything so much better than its predecessor it must be one of the Best sequels ever

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It was between Halo: ODST, Uncharted 2 and L4D2 for me...

Had to go L4D2. I have over 200 hours with that game. If that doesn't say I enjoyed the hell out of that game I don't know what does.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Out of this list, I've played:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Halo 3: ODST
Borderlands
Braid
CoD: Modern Warfare 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Minecraft
New Super Mario Bros Wii
Plants vs. Zombies

For me, it's not even that close, Left 4 Dead 2 takes the cake. The amount of content in that game is astounding. The weapons are great fun to use. The map design is some of the best in any FPS (Dark Carnival is one of my favourite maps of all time). The versus mode is too much fun. It's definitely best on the PC though.

Braid for best indie game, loved the art style, game mechanics, and storyline (that twist was amazing).

CoD: MW 2 was great for multiplayer. Nothing groundbreaking, just a lot of fun.

Plants vs. Zombies is my favourite mobile game.

Batman was the best single player game out of my list.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I was more hyped for MW2 than almost any other video game in the past decade I can think of. When my friends and I got it we probably played it for a week straight. There's plenty of criticisms to be thrown on it (including the aforementioned killstreaks) but it was just a ton of fun. The snow level, the prison level, the White House level, the cabin siege. Not as good as Cod4 but still my favorite of that year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Jesus what a weak year. I guess I'd go with the last good Assassin's Creed.

Didn't even notice Arkham Asylum. Whoops.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Batman for me.

What a revelation that game was.

Has not aged well since the following games are so much better gameplay wise but still, pretty monumental to finally get a legit great superhero game.

Giving me an itch to replay through Arkham Knight...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Im considering changing my vote to Arkham Asylum just to break the tie but would rather not. I didnt play too much of Arkham Asylum but I nearly 100%'d Arkham City and I think the series is phenomenal so I wouldn't feel bad changing my vote from L4D2 to it.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Played almost all of them.

1, Dragon Age Origins
2. Uncharted 2
3. Assassin's Creed 2.

Three phenomenal games. AC2 single handily created a recurring franchise for Ubisoft. Uncharted 2 was a masterpiece that was by far the best in the series.

Dragon Age Origins, while I think has several glaring flaws, was the last "classic Bioware" game, and created one of the most interesting fantasy universes I've ever read. It's actually my favourite fantasy universe, it's that good.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Im surprised DA:O is getting this much love. Im not saying it was a bad game. Im saying out of the choices I am surprised many people have picked it over others.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Im surprised DA:O is getting this much love. Im not saying it was a bad game. Im saying out of the choices I am surprised many people have picked it over others.

If you're primarily an RPG player or that's your favorite genre, there's not a lot of meat on the bones elsewhere that has interest. Demon's Souls perhaps but it's a different kind of RPG and much less played by nature of being an exclusive.

My game of the year would be Risen but I'd have been the only one voting for it :laugh:

The genres of the other top voted games don't do much for me anyway for sure. Played 10 hours of Batman but couldn't finish it, too rote. I probably could have done the turn down the difficulty routine and finished it fast but never bothered. Haven't played the others.

CoD? meh. Minecraft isn't really my deal. AC is the same. Pretty meh year overall.

Games I like not on the list: Tropico 3, Ghostbusters, maybe a few others I can't think of. But none of them are really above the B level. Pretty meh year overall for my tastes.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I sent a PM to the people who voted for one of the games that won't likely win and see what happens if they vote for one of the higher games. I'm guessing the votes end up just as split if changed but who knows.

Will work on an '08 list soon.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I sent a PM to the people who voted for one of the games that won't likely win and see what happens if they vote for one of the higher games. I'm guessing the votes end up just as split if changed but who knows.

Will work on an '08 list soon.
Just do the decent thing and give it to MW2.

Reactions: tacogeoff

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'd change my vote to Ar tonelico 2 but it's not on here for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->