HF Retro Game of the Year - 2008 - Fallout 3 Wins

Game of the year back in 2008?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Gotta strongly disagree with you here. GTA IV had an ok, but overrated story, full of unlikeable characters. It took me like 6 years to manage to beat it, and the whole time I was hoping for a scarface type ending so I could just be done with all the characters. Taking every game for what it was at release, it’s easily the worst in the series.

This year is Fallout 3 by a mile

Since you disagree on pretty much every point, all I can really say is agree to disagree.

I do think GTA IV get's too much of a groupthink criticism for being a very different game than San Andreas. IV is dark, serious, and story focused. San Andreas is comedic and sandbox focused. V is a mix between the two.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's really too bad that the Oblivion with guns line doesn't work that well as a put down. This is mostly because people like Oblivion for some reason.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
GTA IV is so overrated. San Andreas and V blow it out of the water.

My vote goes to Dead Space. Shame that series died, because it was one of the true remaining survival horror games.

Reactions: Nickmo82

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Plain map design, ridiculously awful trends set in DLC practices and level scaling, general banality of the writing/quests, garbage RPG mechanics. Almost everything?
Sounds like you are describing Fallout 3 to me. :laugh:

Oblivion wasn't perfect but it was a perfect launch for the Elder Scrolls into this generation. Morrowind set it up and Oblivion serverd it then Skyrim was the ace. There were at least different environments in Oblivion when compared to Fallout 3, which was... post-apocalyptic above ground and underground? Desert-y monotone blown up world with no relief. The atmosphere was one of the worst parts of Fallout 3 in my opinion. And I don't care what you say, it felt like Oblivion with guns, a lot less interesting story, bland environments, repetitive quests (which lots of open world RPG's suffer from this) and a VERY anti-climatic ending. I don't know... I just couldn't get the hype with FO3.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Fallout 3

I can’t even explain the feeling I had when I first played it, totally blew my mind. To me, still the greatest game of all time. Nothing has captivated me as much since.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm just here to jump on the GTA4 hate train.

GTA4 sux!
Absolutely agree. Easily the worst GTA. Just never stood out to me. Extremely bland story, no memorable characters outside Brucie, and did that pick who dies ending gimmick that every game had around that time (I think infamous did it first). Also the game has that terrible dingy brown color pallette that every game in that generation had.

Sure, the new engine layed the foundation for red dead and GTA V, I'm not saying the game was a piece of crap, but as a total package it just did nothing for me.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Also I'd love to say mgs4 but I finally played valkyria chronicles last year and I liked it way too much.

It gets my vote (though I love brawl a lot more than most people)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Absolutely agree. Easily the worst GTA. Just never stood out to me. Extremely bland story, no memorable characters outside Brucie, and did that pick who dies ending gimmick that every game had around that time (I think infamous did it first). Also the game has that terrible dingy brown color pallette that every game in that generation had.

Sure, the new engine layed the foundation for red dead and GTA V, I'm not saying the game was a piece of crap, but as a total package it just did nothing for me.

I would like to hilarious point out GTA IV came out before Infamous...it's so underrated it's accused of copying games that game out a year later.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I would like to hilarious point out GTA IV came out before Infamous...it's so underrated it's accused of copying games that game out a year later.
Fair enough, I never was one for dates, but I stick to the rest of my points. I just disliked so much about it. One more issue in particular was the character of Nico whose personality just makes no sense. If I remember right he came to America to escape his life of crime, only to immediately start committing one crime after another as part of the main story without a second thought.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Fair enough, I never was one for dates, but I stick to the rest of my points. I just disliked so much about it. One more issue in particular was the character of Nico whose personality just makes no sense. If I remember right he came to America to escape his life of crime, only to immediately start committing one crime after another as part of the main story without a second thought.

He came to America because he wanted to live the American dream as well as search for the guy who betrayed his army unit years beforehand.

Plus in his letters to Niko, Roman made American life sound like beyond paradise...when in reality he lived in a shitty apartment and was being harassed by loan sharks because of his gambling debts and problems.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Looks like this one is pretty well over but I'm not going early.

In the meantime, how's the 2007 list look?
Bioshock
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Crysis
God of War II
Halo 3
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Portal
Rock Band
Super Mario Galaxy
Team Fortress 2
The Legend of Zeda: Phantom Hourglass
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I can think of a few other games that could justifiably be up there but I think the 2-3 likely winners are up there.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I've always been under the impression people thought of it as more an interesting base to build upon rather than an all-that great a game objectively as it is. But I could be wrong I've never played it :P

Lol. fair enough. I thought it was a pretty epic game back in the day. I remember it having a lot of hype as well.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
you also forgot mass effect

Heh, funny. I've been building the list based on a combination of my own shitty memory, GOTY awards, and meta critic. Mass Effect only won 1 game of the year 2007 award according to Wikipedia. Was probably released too late to get a lot of attention.

Dunno about Witcher 1. I like it (and would even vote for it, though tough call vs tf2) but that definitely was more of a sleeper hit and wasn't reviewed all that well. Also if you read any Witcher thread on the internet tons just say "read a wiki". Which is too bad, it has the best Quests (by far), RPG systems (still kinda meh), and pacing of the series.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Heh, funny. I've been building the list based on a combination of my own ****ty memory, GOTY awards, and meta critic. Mass Effect only won 1 game of the year 2007 award according to Wikipedia. Was probably released too late to get a lot of attention.

Dunno about Witcher 1. I like it (and would even vote for it, though tough call vs tf2) but that definitely was more of a sleeper hit and wasn't reviewed all that well. Also if you read any Witcher thread on the internet tons just say "read a wiki". Which is too bad, it has the best Quests (by far), RPG systems (still kinda meh), and pacing of the series.

Mass effect 2 almost beat out red dead on here. And if you go anywhere else it’ll probably be Red dead ainec what are you smoking? Though it was a better game, 1 was still good

It did get released too late for attention. But it was a bioware game in a stacked year. Bioware really didn’t get that much attention back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad