HF Retro Game of the Year - 2008 - Fallout 3 Wins

Game of the year back in 2008?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So we have game of the year votes from 2011 to 2017 but none from before, so why not do it now?

Slightly different rules since we're talking about old games. Votes can be changed, so if you hear a case or debate it out maybe you'll come out on the other side and you can change it.

Previous years:
2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31%
2016 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 20%
2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 35%
2014 - South Park: The Stick of Truth - 15%
2013 - The Last of Us - 29%
2012 - The Walking Dead - 20%
2011 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 48%
Retro Votes:
2010 - Red Dead Redemption - 31.6%
2009 - Assassin's Creed II - 20%
2008 - Fallout 3 - 43.5%

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Voted for GTA 4 as it's the game from 2008 I've played most.

From what I can remember though "Call Of Duty: World At War" was decent too.

I will say that as great as GTA 4 was at the time, I will say now it's been overrated. Sure it looked amazing but when all was said and done and you beat the game..you were left with a big beautiful city that had nothing really to do afterwards.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
GTA IV, followed closely by Fallout 3, then MGS4, then Gears of War 2.

GTA IV, while it took a significant step back in terms of customization, had easily the best story GTA has ever done (I'd even say it's better than RDR, which had an amazing story too). Beside's Packie's sister, I can't think of a single bad character in the game, and most of the main ones are simply amazing. Outside Trevor , no one is as memorable as the main cast in GTA V. Gameplay wise, it's light years ahead of GTA: SA. It's just a brilliant game.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Gears 2 is my favorite and hasn’t aged terribly so I’ll vote for that

Probably will have to change for a tiebreaker :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

P4 is the correct answer.

Valkyria Chronicles is a damn fine #2.

Mariokart Wii gets my vote here by a country mile.

7th best Mario Kart IMO.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Mario Kart clearly had the biggest impact of the games on the list.

Consider:
•More than 37 million copies sold.
•Best-selling racing game in video game history.
•Best-selling stand-alone game of its generation, far outselling even the major blockbusters on this list like GTA4 and CoD:WaW.

It was just a phenomenon, and everyone was playing this game, from little kids to grandparents.

It was a pretty good iteration on a major game franchise too. First console Mario Kart with online play. A wide variety of different control methods, from motion-controlled to traditional controllers. Good game modes and good courses. Solid entry in the franchise.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Some decent also rans this year as well:

The World Ends with You
Burnout Paradise
Persona 3 FES
Far Cry 2
SoulCalibur IV
Tales of Vesperia
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Devil May Cry 4

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
GTA IV, while it took a significant step back in terms of customization, had easily the best story GTA has ever done (I'd even say it's better than RDR, which had an amazing story too).

Disagree with this. GTA IV starts out well story wise but once you robbed the bank in "Three Leaf Clover" things kinda went downhill. Essentially you go from bitching about being broke to having a ton of money way too soon and guess what?? It's useless in the grand scheme of things. Plus the whole "working for the mob in Alderney City" thing just felt lazy and rushed. And let's not forget the bullshit outcome with the diamonds??

But it's biggest flaw like I said is the fact that sure...GTA IV's rendition of Liberty City looks great, but when it's all said and done you realize just how empty the city is?? Why? Because when you beat the game you are left with a ton of money yet nothing meaningful to do.

Beside's Packie's sister, I can't think of a single bad character in the game.

Brucie?? Manny??

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I fully expect to be the only person voting for it, but I went with LBP. I had so much fun playing through that game with my wife.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I didn't play enough games that year, apparently. I'll give it to WaW.

SSBB comes in as a close second, but it just didn't have the impact on me that the first two in the series did. 10/10 soundtrack though.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yikes what a crappy year. I played most of those games. It was between COD:WaW, L4D and GoW2. Went GoW2 because IMO it really is the best game on the list. Fallout 3 was a complete mess to me. But hey, that's why we vote right? We all have different opinions.

EDIT: Actually looking up games that came out in 2008 I can see at least 3 more I would have voted for my favorite (No I am not upset that they aren't on the list, I get it - the weren't has popular).

Command and Conquer Red Alert 3
Civilization Revolution
Burnout Paradise

And out of those I would have to think long and hard on which one would be my favorite. So not such a crappy year after all :D

But on a more serious note this list is seriously lacking the best game ever to be created. It came out in 2008:
TOO HUMAN! :laugh::laugh::laugh: Biggest flop ever.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
EDIT: Actually looking up games that came out in 2008 I can see at least 3 more I would have voted for my favorite (No I am not upset that they aren't on the list, I get it - the weren't has popular).

Command and Conquer Red Alert 3
Civilization Revolution
Burnout Paradise

I got Nintendo DS version of Civilization Revolution, and it was great. First time you could really take Civ on the go (the ports to iOS and Windows Phone didn't come until following years).

I remember taking the DS and Civ on the plane with me to pass the time on long flights. It was perfect for that.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I got Nintendo DS version of Civilization Revolution, and it was great. First time you could really take Civ on the go (the ports to iOS and Windows Phone didn't come until following years).

I remember taking the DS and Civ on the plane with me to pass the time on long flights. It was perfect for that.
Yeah the mobile version wasn't half bad! It really was the best non-PC based strategy game ever made IMO.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Mario Kart clearly had the biggest impact of the games on the list.

Consider:
•More than 37 million copies sold.
•Best-selling racing game in video game history.
•Best-selling stand-alone game of its generation, far outselling even the major blockbusters on this list like GTA4 and CoD:WaW.

It was just a phenomenon, and everyone was playing this game, from little kids to grandparents.

It was a pretty good iteration on a major game franchise too. First console Mario Kart with online play. A wide variety of different control methods, from motion-controlled to traditional controllers. Good game modes and good courses. Solid entry in the franchise.

Meh. They were mostly to little kids.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Disagree with this. GTA IV starts out well story wise but once you robbed the bank in "Three Leaf Clover" things kinda went downhill. Essentially you go from *****ing about being broke to having a ton of money way too soon and guess what?? It's useless in the grand scheme of things. Plus the whole "working for the mob in Alderney City" thing just felt lazy and rushed. And let's not forget the bull**** outcome with the diamonds??

But it's biggest flaw like I said is the fact that sure...GTA IV's rendition of Liberty City looks great, but when it's all said and done you realize just how empty the city is?? Why? Because when you beat the game you are left with a ton of money yet nothing meaningful to do.

Brucie?? Manny??

That's a customization issue. The game isn't about making money, it's about Nico addressing his past. He doesn't care about money. There's a reason he more or less ignores Roman's wealth that comes with success. I don't see what's wrong with working for Jimmy P. The Pegerino's are supposed to be the laughing stock of the Liberty City families. It's a gritty portrayal of crime, things shouldn't go right every time (especially with the diamonds which were being sought after by a half dozen different groups)

Brucie was great. Especially after you get past the cockiness and realize he's a multi-dimensional character. Manny died really quickly, and is even less important than Packie's sister.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Haven't there only been 8 Mario Karts? It's clearly better than the first 3.

Yes, and I disagree. Double Dash & Wii are the dregs of the franchise IMO. The handheld versions are better than they have any business being, while those two disappointed me because of mechanics and/or track choices. To me the only notable thing about MK Wii is the copies sold number...which is because of the hardware it was on, not because of the quality of the game (MK8 was undoubtedly the best before the Switch re-release and sold comparably poorly...because nobody had a Wii U...that doesn't make the Wii version 4x better).

My preference to the SNES original is 100% nostalgia, to be fair.

Some things I'm okay not understanding.

A life without Nanako singing the Junes theme is not a life worth living.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Fallout 3 had its technical issues, but from my subjective perspective, the game is a masterpiece work of art.

I LOVE the atmosphere they created in it. It felt like reading a book I couldn’t put down.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
GTA IV, followed closely by Fallout 3, then MGS4, then Gears of War 2.

GTA IV, while it took a significant step back in terms of customization, had easily the best story GTA has ever done (I'd even say it's better than RDR, which had an amazing story too). Beside's Packie's sister, I can't think of a single bad character in the game, and most of the main ones are simply amazing. Outside Trevor , no one is as memorable as the main cast in GTA V. Gameplay wise, it's light years ahead of GTA: SA. It's just a brilliant game.

Gotta strongly disagree with you here. GTA IV had an ok, but overrated story, full of unlikeable characters. It took me like 6 years to manage to beat it, and the whole time I was hoping for a scarface type ending so I could just be done with all the characters. Taking every game for what it was at release, it’s easily the worst in the series.

This year is Fallout 3 by a mile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->