HF Retro Game of the Year - 2007 - Mass Effet Wins!

Game of the year back in 2007?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
KOTOR1 also suffers from the same feeling of coming back after experiencing the superior sequel gameplay. It's not as bad but I'd say that's mostly because the combat in KOTOR is significantly easier than in ME.

The shooting mechanics are average and outdated but to be honest, they were in 2007. I remember playing the first level and going, wow, this isn't very good. Of course, my opinion changed monumentally after arriving to the citadel.

The thing with KOTOR is it's a traditional wRPG, but not one of the early wRPGs that had a horrible UI. So while the graphics might be outdated, the gameplay holds up well. Not to mention there's still games with KOTOR's style of gameplay out (SWTOR is a good example, as are most of those style MMOs). The only Bioware game I think is coming close to be too old to be playable is the first Baldur's Gate.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
KOTOR has the benefit of never having had good combat so there's nothing to expect on that front :laugh:
Arguably the sequel's combat is worse due to the balance issues introduced by all the crafting.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
1) Bioshock
2) Mario Galaxy
3) COD4: MW
4) Halo 3
5) Portal

Makes me all nostalgic for the glory days of the First Person Shooters....

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

COD4 alone spawned a bunch of rushed low budget junk by like '09 that nobody played just from publishers trying to get a piece. Just like hero shooters the last couple years and Battle Royales for the next couple.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
COD4 alone spawned a bunch of rushed low budget junk by like '09 that nobody played just from publishers trying to get a piece. Just like hero shooters the last couple years and Battle Royales for the next couple.

got you.

I actually misread what you had responded with lol. I accidently interpreted "this year was probably the peak for consoles" as in this year 2017/18

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
There were a few different shooter waves but that probably was the biggest. This one has some overlap with the related sticky cover craze which helped.

My hatred for sticky cover is still fresh :rant:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Did more than just that. Call of Duty 4 made military shooters a truly mass-market genre. It may have immediately spawned a number of bad games but it's legacy remains today.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I can't believe I'm back in here and Mass Effect is still winning.

I loved the Mass Effect series, but part 1 didn't age well, it's so clunky.

Galaxy was and IS still fantastic.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Don't. Going back to ME1 is very annoying once you experience the smooth gameplay of 2 and 3. Story and world-building is by far the best in 1 though for sure.

It’s really not that bad especially if you enjoy the story a lot.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Mass effect or uncharted for me. I went mass effect.

I probably like Uncharted more but mass effect 1 was a better game

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Loving seeing ME1 winning this so far. The story is just so immersive. That's how you write a new IP game. The combat is a little clunky compared to what would come after but combat for me not as important as story. Halo 3 is still one of my favourites as well, those two alone make 2007 great for me.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Don't. Going back to ME1 is very annoying once you experience the smooth gameplay of 2 and 3. Story and world-building is by far the best in 1 though for sure.
I've always been more of a story-guy when it comes to games like Mass Effect so I can live with some clunky controls and such. I actually still play through KOTOR1 every few years or so.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Do what's right

Chu6-g1WsAAv9wo.jpg

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't believe I'm back in here and Mass Effect is still winning.

I loved the Mass Effect series, but part 1 didn't age well, it's so clunky.

Galaxy was and IS still fantastic.

Some people may be evaluating the games in terms of their experience at the time rather than how well it plays now.

Part of the reason it’s clunky is because it’s compared to its own sequels.

Reactions: crowi

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Bioshock is the only reason I had a 'current' game console in college, and is one of 2 games from this generation within my personal top 10 of all-time.

So...uh...yeah, this one is easy. Bioshock laps the competition twenty times over as far as I'm concerned.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
One of my top 3... or at least top 5 games of all time.

Mass Effect

No Mass Effect game is better.
Yes, they improved the gameplay mechanics with 2 but IMO they lost A LOT of the atmosphere that made ME so great. ME2 lacked soul and ME3 was even worse. Again, just my opinion.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Would you kindly end this poll and declare Bioshock the GOTY for 2007?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad