HF Retro Game of the Year - 2007 - Mass Effet Wins!

Game of the year back in 2007?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So we have game of the year votes from 2011 to 2017 but none from before, so why not do it now?

Slightly different rules since we're talking about old games. Votes can be changed, so if you hear a case or debate it out maybe you'll come out on the other side and you can change it.

Previous years:
2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31%
2016 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 20%
2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 35%
2014 - South Park: The Stick of Truth - 15%
2013 - The Last of Us - 29%
2012 - The Walking Dead - 20%
2011 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 48%
Retro Votes:
2010 - Red Dead Redemption - 31.6%
2009 - Assassin's Creed II - 20%
2008 - Fallout 3 - 43.5%
2007 - Mass Effect - 25%

Last edited:

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
From this list id say halo 3, but I think my favourite game of 2007 was pokemon diamond/platinum

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I don't like to go with COD for any of these, but most of the games on here are ones I either never played (ME, Uncharted, Portal, etc.) or I played and absolutely hated (Bioshock, TF2)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I speak as a big Zelda fan here; Phantom Hourglass has absolutely no business being on a GOTY list

Gimmicky ass controls with the most annoying main quest component with the stupid ocean king temple re-do after every dungeon. So bad it's the only Zelda game I played and never finished.

As for the rest of the list, I think I have to give it to Halo 3. Not only was the game amazing with the multiplayer (forge especially giving birth to a whole underbelly of custom game types and eventually its own mode in grifball) but the cultural impact it had was stupid. It basically gave birth to the concept of machinma, ruled over xbox live for a good 3 years until reach came out and was played for billions of hours. I dare say we haven't seen a game become that big of a cultural deal since Super Mario Brothers 3.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I only played Bioshock after having finished Bioshock Infinite, so I found it a bit lacking. I don't really do PC gaming (except strategy games), never owned an Xbox or a Nintendo post-SNES... so I'm left with voting for Uncharted.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
went with cod4. probably my favorite FPS multiplayer. never had the pleasure of playing bioshock and its too late to go back now.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Never played any of these. However I went with "Rock Band."

Solely because back then it seemed like everyone and their dog (minus me) was playing it.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I went with Mass Effect.

Seeing the Citadel for the first time was something I likely won't forget ever. I know Mass Effect 2 is probably more universally loved than the original one, but for me this was the best one. It could be nostalgia talking. I have to fire it up again some day.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I posted this in the other thread but it really belongs here:

I was blown away by Mass Effect because of the seeming realism of the universe.

There was a lot of attention to detail in terms of the history, races, technology. It made the plot that much more engaging. The look and feel was stellar. The soundtrack was epic.

That wonder was never really replicated in Mass Effect 2 and 3, simply because the ground had already been broken.

They were obviously better games, but I'm not sure if they were better gaming experiences for me.

But that's typically the way it goes for the first of any ground-breaking series, whether it be a book, movie or game.

I was actually behind the curve on Mass Effect - I wasn't all that interested in a new intellectual property after the Baldur's Gate games and KOTOR, but it was Bioware so I gave it a whirl.

They followed up with Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age : Origins back to back (in the same year?) and it probably represented the zenith of Bioware IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: crowi

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
As someone who's logged almost 3k hours on TF2 over the years, this one is easy.

Also Episode 2 > Portal.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I went with Mass Effect.

Seeing the Citadel for the first time was something I likely won't forget ever. I know Mass Effect 2 is probably more universally loved than the original one, but for me this was the best one. It could be nostalgia talking. I have to fire it up again some day.
Don't. Going back to ME1 is very annoying once you experience the smooth gameplay of 2 and 3. Story and world-building is by far the best in 1 though for sure.

Reactions: crowi

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If anyone votes anything other than Mario Galaxy they need to get their ass kicked.

Reactions: 18Hossa

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If you can still play games like KOTOR, you can still play Mass Effect. It's aged (it'll be 11 years old this year), but it's not unplayable yet.

Voted for it, of course. I'd rank it number three of the four (ME3 at #1 and ME2 at #2), but I'll agree that the world building is unbelievable. That's something Bioware has always been astounding at, and it's amazing in everyone of their games (including ones oft-criticized on the internet like DA2, DA:I, and ME:A). It's one of the only science fiction games that gives a feeling of astonishment and reality. When they tell the story of humanity discovering the ruins on Mars, and which leads to the unthawing of Charon and the Mass Relay. It's fiction but it's so beautifully crafted that it reads like history. Which is why world building is so important. It let's you get immersed in the world. And Bioware did that better than anyone else.

It's a very strong year.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If you can still play games like KOTOR, you can still play Mass Effect. It's aged (it'll be 11 years old this year), but it's not unplayable yet.
KOTOR1 also suffers from the same feeling of coming back after experiencing the superior sequel gameplay. It's not as bad but I'd say that's mostly because the combat in KOTOR is significantly easier than in ME.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad