HF Retro Game of the Year - 2002 - Vice City Wins

Game of the year back in 2002?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I like RTS games and I like Mythology so that helped me vote Age of Mythology. Also a lot of single player campaign levels and had fun playing online.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Vice city was pretty transcendent for a game and had an incredible soundtrack and characters. I'd take that one slightly over morrowind.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I will fight anybody who didn’t vote for Morrowind. One at a time or all at once, I don’t care.

If the mobs get too numerous, I'll tag team with you. Fair warning, though: I won't fight anyone who voted for Battlefield 1942, since I respect that choice too much and could see myself voting for it on another day. Against those voters, you're on your own.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I've said this before but I played the Xbox version of Morriwind (which I believe is actually considered a good version) and hated it. I'm shocked people think it's amazing all these years later. Its got that weird tabletop rpg mechanic where hits and misses are based on your level and not any actions you take

Also thought the graphics were terrible even at the time, though the Xbox release might have come a few years later.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Only game I didn't play is Eternal Darkness. Starting to get into the games that came out before I was in high school so this is making me feel rather old.

Voted Morrowind. Metroid Prime or Neverwinter Nights would be my other choices.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
GTA: Vice City, it was easily the best Grand Theft game, most influential, and was the most risk which made Rockstar expand into the great unknown. If it wasn't for Vice City, you don't get any of the future games and why this is another revolutionary title for me.

Hard list though, saw at least three to four other games I could have voted for.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
GTA: Vice City, it was easily the best Grand Theft game, most influential, and was the most risk which made Rockstar expand into the great unknown. If it wasn't for Vice City, you don't get any of the future games and why this is another revolutionary title for me.

Hard list though, saw at least three to four other games I could have voted for.
vice city is just a better and more fleshed out GTA III, I wouldn't call it the most risky

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I've said this before but I played the Xbox version of Morriwind (which I believe is actually considered a good version) and hated it. I'm shocked people think it's amazing all these years later. Its got that weird tabletop rpg mechanic where hits and misses are based on your level and not any actions you take

Also thought the graphics were terrible even at the time, though the Xbox release might have come a few years later.

There are a lot of really crappy mechanics in MW that get glossed over - the combat, the map, the journal. Magic and Alchemy are almost impossible at low level and grossly OP at high level. Weapons and armour constantly wearing out and breaking and not being able to repair them (because your armour skill is too low...)

Having said that, the world that was built overcame all that to make it an incredible game. Since for some reason Medieval Total War got left off the final poll, I voted Morrowind.

Toreko

Apr 3, 2018
Battlefield 1942

http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/a.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/b.png

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I had the most fun playing Vice City among this list so I went with it. I really liked Splinter Cell and Morrowind too. Never played Metroid Prime, though.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I had a hard time voting last poll because there wasn’t a game on the list that I liked. This time, I’m having a hard time voting because there’s too many. I’m leaning towards Battlefield, but I can’t talk myself into not voting for Timesplitters/Kingdom Hearts/Vice City. What a great year 2002 was for games

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I could write a novel about why Warcraft III is the best game ever made, but I'll keep it simple. Great gameplay, fantastic blending of RPG and strategy, great story, superb online features, custom games, excellent balance between four races, innovative strategies. I've never gotten better money value from a purchase than I did from WC3.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I really don't know what to vote for. I actually didn't love Vice City that much when it came out. Maybe I was just burnt out from too much GTA3, but Vice City never gripped me like San Andreas GTA5 did.

Of the games on that list I probably spent the most time with Splinter Cell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad