• Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
  • Mario Kart: Super Circuit
  • Animal Crossing
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Black and White
Bolded should be locks, IMO.

Damn, 2001 was a pretty big year as well. Lots of good-to-great games, not too many genre-defining games outside the bolded though.
+ Europa Universalis II. A game long ahead of its time.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Jak and Daxter is one of the best 3d platformers. Not to mention Max Payne was also a groundbreaking game in its own right. AND Silent Hill 2 is probably the greatest horror game, ever.

Easily? I don't see it winning at all.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Jak and Daxter is one of the best 3d platformers. Not to mention Max Payne was also a groundbreaking game in its own right. AND Silent Hill 2 is probably the greatest horror game, ever.

Easily? I don't see it winning at all.

It'll probably win it because it was the first mainstream 3D sandbox game. People also really seem to love GTA here and in general. I think it'll get a bulk of the votes with Halo and Smash taking up most the other votes. Every game mentioned above are worthy of receiving votes though.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Devil May Cry might actually be the most important game on that list.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
OOOOkay so 2001 list:

I think these are all locks:
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Grand Theft Auto III
Halo: Combat Evolved
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Paper Mario
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Sid Meier's Civilization III
Silent Hill 2
Super Smash Bros: Melee
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

On the bubble, have room for about 2 more:
Europa Universalis II
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Max Payne
Runescape
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Probably won't get significant votes (more than 1 really):
Advance Wars
Alien vs. Predator 2
Animal Crossing
Black and White
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
IL-2 Sturmovik
Jak And Daxter
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Red Faction
SSX Tricky
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tribes 2
Twisted Metal Black
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

My own personal top 3 games that would immediately get my vote if included :)
Arcanum
Gothic
Tropico
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So about 2 slots left in the poll, what's it gonna be?

Because the poll without 4 in it was wrong, and because of how good 3 was. "Follow-up games were better" is pretty terrible logic to use to ignore earlier games.

What's included in the poll has more to do with what I think will get votes based on replies and how the past votes have gone. I don't recall much clamoring for 4 to be included. But 3 seems to have more support ;)
However If I notice a lot of people saying "include x y and z" and they never vote for x or y or z I tend to consider that next time.

We're getting to a point here too where games are distributing back out. I can probably think of at least 25 legit candidates for '01 and it needs to be cut down to 10-15. Don't want winners being decided with 9% of the vote. That won't happen in 01 but it might once we hit some of the 90's. There's also a lot of "OH I LOVED THAT GAME" type posts for games that don't get votes because of the type of game it is. Sports, racing, some strategy games, multiplayer games, hand helds except Pokemon. Certain types of games are excluded from "game of the year" thought process by people for various reasons.

Another good example is in 01 there is A LOT of Nintendo. Yet I think the hardcore Nintendo vote will end up in 1 or 2 of the 6 possible games. So why include the other 4 when I think those won't get votes.

I'd do it nomination style as the yearly polls, but people have to be prodded enough into doing that. Doing it for old games would be even harder.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Put Jak and Daxter in as well.

If I'd realised polls were open to suggestion in terms of options I would have said it then.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm highly susceptible to suggestion on certain things (JRPGs, anything playstation related really, handheld stuff post GBA)

Also Vice City is not really worthy of the win. It's a coat of paint on GTA III with a better story, woohoo? SA at least separates itself from 3 by sheer scope/ambition making it more worthy. Should have been Morrowind or Metroid.

And I'm glad NWN only got 1 vote :laugh:
It's multiplayer/toolset is sui generis but the actual content and most of the D&D implemention of the game is just dreck. The expansions are better though.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Max Payne definitely deserves a spot. IMO one of the most underrated story driven games ever made. Took a different look at noir style storytelling and the use of graphic novelization style snippets to move the story along in between loading screens. Pretty bangin' soundtrack too for the time. (not to mention all the cheesy 70's cop show style one liners/quotes max had)

Even though that game has aged poorly mechanically (A TPS with no camera control feels really crappy nowadays) it's still def one of my top 10 all time favorites. Shame 3 totally went away from that and was generally lame compared to the tone of the first 2 games.

2nd spot is a bit more of a toss up. Runescape i guess?

Also curious to see how long we go with this. Would like to see some of the posters opinions on a little more tougher to call like the mid-late 90's.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I honestly don't know what I'd vote for in 2001, since there were a ton of games I liked, but nothing really separates itself from the pack. I was obsessed with Twisted Metal Black for a while, but it hasn't aged well. Advanced Wars was probably my favorite GBA game. This is one of the year where I outright do not like about half of the slam-dunk options (f*** FFX & MGS2), so I really don't know.

As for the bubble options...Max Payne gets a vote. My second vote would go to something not on that bubble list, so that'd just create more problems.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
OOOOkay so 2001 list:

I think these are all locks:
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Grand Theft Auto III
Halo: Combat Evolved
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Paper Mario
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Sid Meier's Civilization III
Silent Hill 2
Super Smash Bros: Melee
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
On the bubble, have room for about 2 more:
Europa Universalis II
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Max Payne
Runescape
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Probably won't get significant votes (more than 1 really):
Advance Wars
Alien vs. Predator 2
Animal Crossing
Black and White
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex
IL-2 Sturmovik
Jak And Daxter
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Red Faction
SSX Tricky
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tribes 2
Twisted Metal Black
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

My own personal top 3 games that would immediately get my vote if included :)
Arcanum
Gothic
Tropico
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So about 2 slots left in the poll, what's it gonna be?

What's included in the poll has more to do with what I think will get votes based on replies and how the past votes have gone. I don't recall much clamoring for 4 to be included. But 3 seems to have more support ;)
However If I notice a lot of people saying "include x y and z" and they never vote for x or y or z I tend to consider that next time.

We're getting to a point here too where games are distributing back out. I can probably think of at least 25 legit candidates for '01 and it needs to be cut down to 10-15. Don't want winners being decided with 9% of the vote. That won't happen in 01 but it might once we hit some of the 90's. There's also a lot of "OH I LOVED THAT GAME" type posts for games that don't get votes because of the type of game it is. Sports, racing, some strategy games, multiplayer games, hand helds except Pokemon. Certain types of games are excluded from "game of the year" thought process by people for various reasons.

Another good example is in 01 there is A LOT of Nintendo. Yet I think the hardcore Nintendo vote will end up in 1 or 2 of the 6 possible games. So why include the other 4 when I think those won't get votes.

I'd do it nomination style as the yearly polls, but people have to be prodded enough into doing that. Doing it for old games would be even harder.

Diablo II Expansion was released in 2001. That expansion made the game as epic as it was. Think it should definitely be added instead of just the vanilla Diablo 2 version from 2000.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'd seriously consider voting for Tropico if it were on the list. I'd probably vote for either that or Civilization III. Actually, on second thought, I guess that I'd probably throw my vote at Civilization III, if only to give GTA III more competition. Perhaps it'd just be better to leave Tropico out so that it doesn't steal any votes from Civilization III.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
One of the great underappreciated aspects of Tropico (1) is how devilishly complex the underlying mechanics can be yet they have a straight forward approach available so that you can play blissfully unaware of why your Cigar factory stopped making a profit or why your Papaya farm is now raking in the cash. Unfortunately the sequels while usually enjoyable were substantially less intricate.

The closest thing to scratching that itch recently was Banished, though it didn't quite get enough complexity in the underlying economy and it was just too easy in general.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Didn’t vote for 2002 but I think Vice City is a good choice, probably my favorite GTA soundtrack besides San Andreas. Timesplitters is still underrated though :(

2001 is gonna be a tough one for me, Jak and Daxter was a huge part of my childhood so I might have to go with that if it’s an option

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
One of the great underappreciated aspects of Tropico (1) is how devilishly complex the underlying mechanics can be yet they have a straight forward approach available so that you can play blissfully unaware of why your Cigar factory stopped making a profit or why your Papaya farm is now raking in the cash. Unfortunately the sequels while usually enjoyable were substantially less intricate.

The closest thing to scratching that itch recently was Banished, though it didn't quite get enough complexity in the underlying economy and it was just too easy in general.

Yeah, I really liked that about Tropico. It felt realistic because you rarely had a roaring economy. When some industries were booming, others were suffering, and it was hard to fix one without hurting another.

It could be frustrating when you didn't know why a factory or farm wasn't being productive, but it could be really rewarding when you finally figured it out. It also made every really profitable factory or farm something to be quite proud of, even if you didn't know what you did right to make it so, because you knew that you were doing something right and you knew just how awful things could get.

Also, the game has one of my favorite soundtracks. I used to have it burned on CD and would play it in the car.

I hope that someone decides to give the game the HD treatment, like so many other 2D games of that era have been getting recently. Unfortunately, because so many sequels have been and are still being made, I sense that there's less motivation to enhance the original, but I think that the many fans who adore the original would buy it.

Last edited:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Besdies my aforementioned EUII, I'd vote for Max Payne. Did love Tropico as well, though.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
And I'm glad NWN only got 1 vote :laugh:
It's multiplayer/toolset is sui generis but the actual content and most of the D&D implemention of the game is just dreck. The expansions are better though.
In my defence I only played that and one other game on the list and I might be confusing in with NWN2 :D

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My mind can't handle that RuneScape was a 2001 game.

Tells you how random my PC game knowledge is. I just always assumed that was a pre-Everquest game, like the first of the first MMORPGs...because it certainly looks like it. That MMO part meant that I was never going to play it, though.

I'll lop on more Tropico love, though, absolutely adored the original back in the day. Especially the soundtrack.

edit: Runescape being a browser game explains so much. I don't think I've played a browser game since my family first got AOL...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad