HF new top 50 prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
No Meszaros?

Thats tough. A 20 something pick in a draft that was like 6th months ago? Then Olesz, Radulov, Chipchura, Zajac, etc deserve to be there.

The only reason Schremp is there is because he was one of the best players in the draft. His attitude is the only question.

Even without looking at the draft I think there are more deserving players.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Leafaholix said:
I can't see Higgins ahead of Steen, much less 11 spots.

You love you're Higgins eh? He's no Earl though...

Top 50 is a tough list... is it solely based on potential or who is a "sure shot" or what? Looks like Jason King is a sure shot to have at least a decent impact in the NHL where Kostistyn (sp?) is gifted but a few more years away and could easily flop. 90% would rank Kostistyn over King but at the moment King is waaaay better.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
1-Ovechkin
2-Lehtonen
3-Malkin
4-Zherdev
5-Phaneuf
6-Fleury
7-Horton
8-Michalek
9-Suter
10-Barker
11-Semin
12-Vanek
13-Parise
14-Coburn
15-Kostsitsyn
16-Toivonen
17-Getzlaf
18-Whitney
19-Carter
20-Thelen
21-Tjutin
22-Miller
23-Grebeshkov
24-Ouellet
25-Koivu
26-Ladd
27-Montoya
28-O’Sullivan
29-Richards
30-Balej
31-Steen
32-Upshall
33-Schremp
34-Babchuk
35-Grigorenko
36-Stuart
37-Fritsche
38-Lundqvist
39-Tukonen
40-Colaiacovo
41-Higgins
42-Jessiman
43-Shishkanov
44-Brown
45-Perezhogin
46-Stewart
47-Eminger
48-Emery
49-Schwarz
50-Radulov

leafaholix*

mazmin said:
You love you're Higgins eh? He's no Earl though...
I do like Higgins, which is strange because he'll be spending the next 10 years playing for the hated Canadiens. He caught my eye in 2002 when he was playing for the States, a terrific skater.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
NYRangers said:
Thats tough. A 20 something pick in a draft that was like 6th months ago? Then Olesz, Radulov, Chipchura, Zajac, etc deserve to be there.

You should know by now that it's not where you were drafted, it's how you perform. Meszaros has outplayed the likes of Coburn and Seabrook so far this season. He is also more talented than both Coburn and Seabrook.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
Michalek is pretty high on a lot of lists... to be honest, I have never seen him play, all I've done is read a scouting report on him.

What is his potential? Was he a solid pick by the Sharks in the '03 draft, or do you think there were better players available?

Thanks in advance.

leafaholix*

TML said:
Michalek is pretty high on a lot of lists... to be honest, I have never seen him play, all I've done is read a scouting report on him.

What is his potential? Was he a solid pick by the Sharks in the '03 draft, or do you think there were better players available?

Thanks in advance.
I saw him play atleast once at the 2003 WJC, he looked very dangerous offensively. Kind of resembled Marian Gaborik. I think his upside is huge, but I also think injuries may be his downfall.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Legionnaire said:
Yeah, no worries man. Like I said it's just MY personal opinion.

MAF has struggled a good deal since his NHL debut. I know he has the talent because I saw what he could do at the NHL level. But....

Since leaving the NHL, maybe, but MAF only had one NHL game where he truly looked out of place.

The guy was the best guy on the ice and still was giving up 5 goals on numerous occasions.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Since leaving the NHL, maybe, but MAF only had one NHL game where he truly looked out of place.

The guy was the best guy on the ice and still was giving up 5 goals on numerous occasions.

Please. One game? Gimme a break.

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
Newfie Bruin said:
1-Ovechkin
2-Lehtonen
3-Malkin
4-Zherdev
5-Phaneuf
6-Fleury
7-Horton
8-Michalek
9-Suter
10-Barker
11-Semin
12-Vanek
13-Parise
14-Coburn
15-Kostsitsyn
16-Toivonen
17-Getzlaf
18-Whitney
19-Carter
20-Thelen
21-Tjutin
22-Miller
23-Grebeshkov
24-Ouellet
25-Koivu
26-Ladd
27-Montoya
28-O’Sullivan
29-Richards
30-Balej
31-Steen
32-Upshall
33-Schremp
34-Babchuk
35-Grigorenko
36-Stuart
37-Fritsche
38-Lundqvist
39-Tukonen
40-Colaiacovo
41-Higgins
42-Jessiman
43-Shishkanov
44-Brown
45-Perezhogin
46-Stewart
47-Eminger
48-Emery
49-Schwarz
50-Radulov

No Eric Fehr?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Captain Conservative said:
Prepare to be surprised. I wouldn't even put him in my top 25.

Really? He was 36 last year before his monster season. I'd take Fehr over a number of players people put around 20-30, including Getzlaf.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
To touch on the Kesler vs. Higgins topic: MS makes the most important point in this debate - Higgins' "high" offensive potential is lowered in my eyes because of the doubt in his ability to transfer his skills to the AHL. Kesler might not have the greatest puck skills or playmaking ability, but he is talented enough to either put up points as a top end shutdown guy or be the workhorse on an offensive line. I'm not going to even begin to make a choice as to who is the better prospect (not seen enough of Higgins), I'm simply pointing out that the difference in offensive potential people like to think exists between Higgins and Kesler is perhaps a bit exaggerated, in my opinion at least.

In general, I'm not comfortable comparing prospects because I don't have enough first hand experience watching most guys, but I do see a LOT of WHL. Having said that, Coburn is in my opinion better than Barker. Barker has a much higher offensive potential, but Coburn is the far more well rounded player. He has good puck skills, he's very mobile, huge, very strong, and has excellent positioning, but most of all, he just does everything right. Barker has better offensive instincts, but he's not particularly good in his own zone, makes more mistakes, and doesn't seem to have the same intensity as Coburn. The one thing I'd like to see more from Coburn is physical play (use that monstrous frame!), but that's true of Barker as well. Barker has a higher ceiling, but he's less likely to reach that ceiling than Coburn.

Another WHL defenseman who doesn't get enough recognition is Shea Weber. This is a guy who has gone from a possible 5/6 guy two years ago to someone who should become a top 4 defenseman. His offense has exploded since last year's playoffs, showing that he has the skill and shot to be more than just a physical presence. He's big, EXTREMELY physical, a very good if not blazingly fast skater, an excellent hitter, a decent passer, he has a good (right handed) shot, and his positioning and hockey sense are outstanding. If he can translate his offensive game to the NHL and become a second unit PP QB, he could be a #3 guy; if not, he's at worst a #5 that makes opposition forwards keep their heads up. I have no idea if he'd fit on a top 50 list (probably not), but in comparison with some other WHL defense prospects, I'd have him way ahead of guys like Green, Shultz, Fistric and Belle, ahead of Meszaros, and only a bit behind Seabrook. Also, having seen a lot of Koltsov, I'd have Weber WAY ahead of him, but then again, I'm not a big fan of Koltsov. Judging by where people I am familiar with are expected to be, I'd say Weber fits somewhere between 50 and 70.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
EroCaps said:
Really? He was 36 last year before his monster season. I'd take Fehr over a number of players people put around 20-30, including Getzlaf.

The list was done after his monster season, the writeup mentions him scoring 50 goals...

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
EroCaps said:

Come on meow. Fehr over Getzlaf? You must be high.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
and getzlaf also has work ethic concerns and cockiness (which CAN work good or bad)...

it's not that much of a stretch, however if they both make the nhl, getzlaf (once making it) is too good and has too much of a package not to surpass fehr imho..

getzlaf imo is the definition of boom or bust

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
andora said:
and getzlaf also has work ethic concerns and cockiness (which CAN work good or bad)...

it's not that much of a stretch, however if they both make the nhl, getzlaf (once making it) is too good and has too much of a package not to surpass fehr imho..

getzlaf imo is the definition of boom or bust

Funny how those concerns didn't really come up until his last few games.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i remember reading accounts from anaheim's rookie camp, watching him last year for calgary, and reading some stuff before the draft...

he's a great prospect.. just a boom/bust imo

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
andora said:
i remember reading accounts from anaheim's rookie camp, watching him last year for calgary, and reading some stuff before the draft...

he's a great prospect.. just a boom/bust imo

I thought it's the other way around. If nothing Getzlaf will make it at least as a big body checker.

Fehr is exactly a boom or bust type. If he can't score in the big, he is not needed.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Dallas Flames Fan said:
I thought it's the other way around. If nothing Getzlaf will make it at least as a big body checker.

Fehr is exactly a boom or bust type. If he can't score in the big, he is not needed.

Eggactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad