OT: HF Jets Lounge: I love titles. Wait, titles? I thought you wrote... nvmd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Uggghhhh.... Got in a fight with my girlfriend tonight. Naturally, I hate life right now. FUUUUUUUU... :facepalm: :cry: :banghead:

That sucks.

I told some girls on Twitter that Hedley sucks and so obviously what followed is them getting my number and sending some pretty good stuff. ;)

Who knew Twitter could be this useful?

You should get Twitter.

Also, I'm not humblebragging. I'm 100% bragging.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I don't know what Hedley is. Also, things aren't looking so hot with that Catholic girl I intend to marry. And my math homework is going straight to ****. And I have a math test Thursday.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
That sucks.

I told some girls on Twitter that Hedley sucks and so obviously what followed is them getting my number and sending some pretty good stuff. ;)

Who knew Twitter could be this useful?

You should get Twitter.

Also, I'm not humblebragging. I'm 100% bragging.

Are you David Booth? :eek::huh::laugh:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Verifying crap in Trig. And complex numbers. I was supposed to solve the equation x^5 + 5x^3 + 8x^2 + 40 = 0

It resulted in me snapping my pencil in half and taking a break.

Oh my word, is that factoring? I can't recall how to solve that because it's been almost 6 years since I've needed to factor but I absolutely loved it and was awesome at it...

(After a quick Google and refresher)

For cubic polynomials, split it into two halves and pull out what you can of both:

(x^5 + 5x^3) (+ 8x^2 + 40) = 0

x^3(x^2 + 5) + 8(x^2 + 5) = 0

Since both contain (x^2 + 5), what you have is:

(x^3 + 8) (x^2 + 5) = 0

Is that what you have to do? I forget where you go from there since there's no negatives. I miss algebra. Comp sci major, by the way.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Oh my word, is that factoring? I can't recall how to solve that because it's been almost 6 years since I've needed to factor but I absolutely loved it and was awesome at it...

For cubic polynomials, split it into two halves and pull out what you can of both:

x^3(x^2 + 5) + 8(x^2 + 5) = 0

Since both contain (x^2 + 5), what you have is:

(x^3 + 8) (x^2 + 5) = 0

Is that what you have to do? I miss algebra.

:laugh:

Yep! Thanks man!:handclap:

The rest is easy, I just got stuck at the factoring.

I actually plan to be a math teacher, so it is really important that I know tricks like that. I just find it really annoying when I run into a problem like that in the book, I have no idea how to solve it, and there is absolutely nothing in the instructions giving me a hint.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
:laugh:

Yep! Thanks man!:handclap:

The rest is easy, I just got stuck at the factoring.

I actually plan to be a math teacher, so it is really important that I know tricks like that. I just find it really annoying when I run into a problem like that in the book, I have no idea how to solve it, and there is absolutely nothing in the instructions giving me a hint.

No problem, that was my bread and butter in high school. I remember in grade 12 we spent the ENTIRE year re-learning to factor (first learned it in grade 10) because nobody would remember and we'd try do harder crap but some student would be like "how did you factor that?" I guess it's kind of an intuition thing sometimes.

I always found them to be like little puzzle/riddle type things.

Watching Forrest Gump... I don't know if I've ever watched it all the way through as an adult, I just remember bits and pieces as a kid.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
No problem, that was my bread and butter in high school. I remember in grade 12 we spent the ENTIRE year re-learning to factor (first learned it in grade 10) because nobody would remember and we'd try do harder crap but some student would be like "how did you factor that?" I guess it's kind of an intuition thing sometimes.

Watching Forrest Gump... I don't know if I've ever watched it all the way through as an adult, I just remember bits and pieces as a kid.

I'm sure I am like that in other parts of math, I just don't realize it. I'm not straight up bad at anything in math, but I don't understand everything without spending time on it either. I think that's a big part of why I enjoy teaching it, and also am quite good at teaching it.

I usually am fairly good at not flipping out and breaking things when I'm doing math around people as well!:laugh:

Now the catholic girl messaged me and said that she misses me and that she hopes we can talk soon.

Now I just need the snow to melt, then all my troubles from an hour ago are gone!:D

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I miss algebra. Comp sci major, by the way.

Nice, I'm in Computer Engineering. I was was in Mechanical but didn't like it so much. I was going to go into Comp Sci, but figured I'd have more options with Comp Eng since it does some of the programming stuff but also lots of Electrical stuff so I would have plenty of options when I graduate.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Nice, I'm in Computer Engineering. I was was in Mechanical but didn't like it so much. I was going to go into Comp Sci, but figured I'd have more options with Comp Eng since it does some of the programming stuff but also lots of Electrical stuff so I would have plenty of options when I graduate.

Too bad about the engineering part :sarcasm: haha funnily enough, I'm in my last semester and in one of my electives I end up making friends with a big group of engineers. Pretty cool guys, I guess you guys are alright ;)

Yeah you should have some good options for sure.

We have a couple "computer engineering" classes we have to take and they basically say at the start that we don't want to be engineers (not as an insult, but we don't want to be the same). Engineering programs is very "we do this, then do this when that's done, then this" whereas they want us to be "have something small but something that works at all times" so instead of building up one big thing and testing it at the end we're constantly knowing the parts are working.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

That's funny I just tuned into the same show. You can tell it isn't quite playoff time yet

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Crazy to think that in 1994 Oscar best picture nominees were Forrest Gump, Shawshark Redemption and Pulp Fiction.

EDIT:
Heck, the forgotten nominee was four weddings and a funeral, which was charming in its own right.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I'm FINALLY going to be finishing all the math specific courses this summer. Cannot wait, they drive me nuts in engineering.
3D differential equations was far and away the hardest course I've ever taken. Total killer. I understand the utility of (some of) the pure math courses, but they're just too abstract to get an intuitive solution which is how I learn.

"Oh ya, this Fourier series sure would represent that function"
-No one, ever
Now the catholic girl messaged me and said that she misses me and that she hopes we can talk soon.

Now I just need the snow to melt, then all my troubles from an hour ago are gone!:D

Very nice. I'm in MecE myself.
Not really.
2+2 can equal 5 for extremely large values of 2.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Crazy to think that in 1994 Oscar best picture nominees were Forrest Gump, Shawshark Redemption and Pulp Fiction.

EDIT:
Heck, the forgotten nominee was four weddings and a funeral, which was charming in its own right.

"The year of the gump" they called it as it ran away with all the awards. Which pissed me off as Shawshank Redemption is my all time favourite movie.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
So, is anyone watching the Lunar Eclipse? It's nice and clear in Brandon, but I don't know if you can see it from the inner city where I assume you all live in Winnipeg. Here. :P

http://new.livestream.com/GriffithObservatoryTV/LunarEclipse

10152579_314074822075853_8313632597573723903_n.jpg

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
YWG, I've made up my mind!

Can I have one of the bandwagon logos with a picture of Iginla's head coming in instead of a team and "win it for Iggy '14" as the quote?

And the Ice Caps calder run one as well.

No hurry, just if you have time :)

Here ya' go JC:

[noparse]http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_iginla_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif[/noparse]

jets_iginla_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad