OT: HF Jets Lounge: I love titles. Wait, titles? I thought you wrote... nvmd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Just to keep everyone up to date:

Jet is still gay.

Romang67 needs to stop trying so hard so that he'll actually get laid.

Carry on. :p:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Ripped a hole in my pants at work today. In the crotch area. Luckily it's mostly hidden so it's been a success hiding it so far. Working in an office is a bonus because I'm sitting 90% of the time. An hour left and I can run away.

That's the last time I put decorations up on the roof because I'm tall. FYI don't be a hero and try to hoist yourself up onto a table when your pants have little to no give.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Ripped a hole in my pants at work today. In the crotch area. Luckily it's mostly hidden so it's been a success hiding it so far. Working in an office is a bonus because I'm sitting 90% of the time. An hour left and I can run away.

That's the last time I put decorations up on the roof because I'm tall. FYI don't be a hero and try to hoist yourself up onto a table when your pants have little to no give.

I laughed, I'm sorry. :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
neil degrasse tyson at u of m today. stupid insane crowds. igac guaranteed full prob gomna be turning people away for fire code reasons soon. doesnt even start for 30 more mins. insane.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
neil degrasse tyson at u of m today. stupid insane crowds. igac guaranteed full prob gomna be turning people away for fire code reasons soon. doesnt even start for 30 more mins. insane.

If I lived in Winnipeg there's no chance I wouldn't go see him speak. This generations Carl Sagan/Bill Nye.

Romang67 needs to stop trying so hard so that he'll actually get laid.

Something something... putting the cat on a pedestal... something something...

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg

I had no idea he was here. Would've happily skipped the afternoon of work (and by extension would still have a wearable pair of pants).

Also, Hammer, that happened me twice last year. I worked as a sub for 7th-9th graders...

That makes me feel a little better :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think Holden is drunk.

Also, Hammer, that happened me twice last year. I worked as a sub for 7th-9th graders...

drunk no. me and a friend did take afternoon off for this though lol. gotta remember this, u of m are claiming first time in canadian uni for tyson. on phone tho (i never post from phone since i usually hate it but waiting is boring).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
drunk no. me and a friend did take afternoon off for this though lol. gotta remember this, u of m are claiming first time in canadian uni for tyson. on phone tho (i never post from phone since i usually hate it but waiting is boring).

Very cool - would love to go to one of his talks. :nod:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

My ****ing lab got cancelled because of that guy. I can't stand all the love he gets on the Internet but that's probably because I differ in belief in how the universe was created :laugh: Seems like most of you guys are pumped for him to be here though. Be sure to take pics and post to ****** for max karma :laugh:

Our prof even suggested since our lab is moved that we should attend. I'm probably one of the most unconnected to "campus life" though, the other day when I saw there were UMSU elections I was like what, really? I didn't vote though; I know nothing of the people running plus I'm done in a month so I figure not like they need to do anything for me anymore anyways.

Also :( SoupNazi closed the Winnipeg dirty thread, I wanted to hear more about being the worst thing since Hitler.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMonty
Funny stuff - too bad some humourless Mod shut it down.

Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ

Caught me before my first cup of coffee.

I posted it from my Blackberry - no emoticons available, or it would've had this following: :sarcasm:

Nobody's explained yet what a "Goatlender' is, though. :(

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just got back. It was really solid. A lot of the points I had seen in youtube videos before but he threw some ones I hadn't seen in as well as throwing a bone or two for Canada (he said it was first public speaking appearance ever in Canada). He's just so passionate (about something I care deeply about as well) and convincing with his arguments, what a great speaker. Great speech. It was free as well :amazed: Every seat was filled in IGAC, easily over 1200 IMO, they had helpers going around moving people together so more people could sit as well as standing room.

MI can't stand all the love he gets on the Internet but that's probably because I differ in belief in how the universe was created :laugh: Seems like most of you guys are pumped for him to be here though. Be sure to take pics and post to ****** for max karma :laugh:

I shouldn't touch that, but I will since I can't help myself. Tyson does not BELIEVE in how the universe was created. He doesn't have to. He has evidence and he builds the best idea about the creation of the universe based on the evidence. If you can find other evidence or re-interpret the evidence (logically and with reason) he will change his mind.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I shouldn't touch that, but I will since I can't help myself. Tyson does not BELIEVE in how the universe was created. He doesn't have to. He has evidence and he builds the best idea about the creation of the universe based on the evidence. If you can find other evidence or re-interpret the evidence (logically and with reason) he will change his mind.

I know, I probably shouldn't have said anything about his stance because it will likely draw people to get offended and because I'm still just going to disagree with you (and him) in this regard. I just can't believe they (at the university) would bump something in their own school for some guy coming in to give a guest lecture. I honestly wouldn't care who it was, it could be the entire Jets team coming to give some speech about something and I'd say classes should still be on.

I'm probably more bitter about it being him because I always see his quotes and pictures in the Atheism board on a site that apparently can't be named on here and it just gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I
I'm probably more bitter about it being him because I always see his quotes and pictures in the Atheism board on a site that apparently can't be named on here and it just gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

Other forums are off-limits.

Should be noted Degrasse Tyson notably does not speak on religion nor does he claim to be atheist.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Other forums are off-limits.

Should be noted Degrasse Tyson notably does not speak on religion nor does he claim to be atheist.

RE: Other forums - ah, gotcha!

Yeah, I was reading some stuff about him once and I've heard he doesn't subscribe to Atheism. It's probably for the best that he stays away from religion and instead sticks to his facts. Keeps the people that are interested in his works interested and keeps those that oppose him from denouncing him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah, I was reading some stuff about him once and I've heard he doesn't subscribe to Atheism. It's probably for the best that he stays away from religion and instead sticks to his facts. Keeps the people that are interested in his works interested and keeps those that oppose him from denouncing him.

Honestly, I think he just doesn't care. He is scientist through and through. That's what he is about. His vision is just amazing.

The very first line today was "The Sky is NOT the limit". And that's exactly it. There's so much more. Wish more people could see that.

One of the more interesting things he brought up was the Apollo Nostalgia. Nowadays everyong is looking back at the "golden age". But back then it was all about the "world of Tommorrow". It was the "House of Tommorrow", "City of Tommorrow", "Car of Tommorrow" which drove innovation, invention and industry. Now we just look back at "golden era" remembering the good old days. The Apollo and Space Program of the 60's compared to the dead space program (US cannot even get anybody into ORBIT anymore) was a HUGE reason for the difference in outlooks.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Very good speech, but more because of him and less because of the topic IMO. He didn't really go in depth scientifically (which makes sense) and it was a lot about how the space program needs more funding.

Still it was awesome to see in person and I paid attention to every word he uttered.

Just wish it would've been one where he "bashes" religion, as those are my favourites of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad