Hey Terry, Do Us A Favor and SELL

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
The real "unfortunate" thing about the Ottawa sale and now the Phoenix deal, the NHL has said "Even in a failing market, a NHL franchise is worth no less than 1 billion dollars"

And the one thing the NHL will not do is allow any deal that causes the franchise values to fall. In most markets, owners who lose money every year are being made whole, on paper at least, by the franchise value growth. If the value was to drop, than I think there would be a bit of a race to cash out by more than a few.

Even if Terry and Kim decided, today, that they are going to put the team on the market, I don't think they could find a buyer at 1B, especially with the state of the Arena. The Penguins got 900M with a less than 15 year old arena and 2 championships in the last decade. Buffalo has the need for either a brand new arena or a major refurbishment, which is going to be a 100M bill in the next few years.

I think the best hope would be to find a situation like Fenway Sports Group (a group looking to add a NHL team to their portfolio), but I have to think the price considering the market, dormant fan base, and arena won't fetch a high enough return to justify the hitting the premium cash price the NHL will demand.
There was a rumor floating around a while ago that the Pegulas were actively shopping the Sabres, but couldn’t find a buyer at a price that would satisfy them and/or the NHL. So, this could be right.

I always assumed the slashing of costs/locking up players to long-term deals (to provide cash certainty) was all a part of their plan to sell the team. It seems silly to continue that plan if we’re not finding a buyer - why not just go act like a real NHL franchise again? It’s not like this plan is bringing the fans back.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
There was a rumor floating around a while ago that the Pegulas were actively shopping the Sabres, but couldn’t find a buyer at a price that would satisfy them and/or the NHL. So, this could be right.

I always assumed the slashing of costs/locking up players to long-term deals (to provide cash certainty) was all a part of their plan to sell the team. It seems silly to continue that plan if we’re not finding a buyer - why not just go act like a real NHL franchise again? It’s not like this plan is bringing the fans back.

I've likened Terry's buying a team to a regular person buying a boat.

At first, cost is no object. They use the boat every single weekend. They even take PTO days just to go out on the lake some more.

Over the years, the usage drops, but the expenses stay pretty consistent or growing. They have dedicate time to get it ready for the winter and ready for the spring. Gas and slip prices grow every year. So does the cost to store it. It doesn't get cheaper to own, it gets more expensive.

And the family circumstances change, kids aren't as excited to go out on the lake, etc. So they sell it.
When the Pegulas bought the team, it was their boat. Terry was excited about it, it was the the most important thing to him in retirement. He'd fly on his private jet to convince players to waive their NTC (Regehr).

The excitement (and buy in) for Terry faded over time and the COVID era hiring of Adams as someone who would shut up and keep the budget really was the end of the Pegula era as we knew it.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011

At first, cost is no object. They use the boat every single weekend. They even take PTO days just to go out on the lake some more.

Over the years, the usage drops, but the expenses stay pretty consistent or growing. They have dedicate time to get it ready for the winter and ready for the spring. Gas and slip prices grow every year. So does the cost to store it. It doesn't get cheaper to own, it gets more expensive.

And the family circumstances change, kids aren't as excited to go out on the lake, etc. So they sell it.
When the Pegulas bought the team, it was their boat. Terry was excited about it, it was the the most important thing to him in retirement. He'd fly on his private jet to convince players to waive their NTC (Regehr).

The excitement (and buy in) for Terry faded over time and the COVID era hiring of Adams as someone who would shut up and keep the budget really was the end of the Pegula era as we knew it.
Yep, I think the Eichel neck injury/dispute/trade really made him lose his love for the Sabres.

At least during covid we still signed Hall. But he bought the Sabres, shortly thereafter tanked for 2 years to get Reinhart + Eichel, then both became disgruntled and wanted out. I think he imagined them bringing the Sabres back to their glory days, and everything blew up in his face.

Reactions: Ehran

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yep, I think the Eichel neck injury/dispute/trade really made him lose his love for the Sabres.

At least during covid we still signed Hall. But he bought the Sabres, shortly thereafter tanked for 2 years to get Reinhart + Eichel, then both became disgruntled and wanted out. I think he imagined them bringing the Sabres back to their glory days, and everything blew up in his face.

It didn't help that the league actively worked against him early. Buffalo did the same thing Chicago was going and after verifying contracts, they changed tack on the way long-term deals were structured which lead to the Ehrhoff buy-out. That was after all the heaps of "he's the highest paid player in the league, they so stupid!" from the usual league water carriers when there had been and then have been since players with massive bonus payouts that make them "the highest paid" guy but since the league deals in AAV, no other player and team got that criticism. Shea Weber was pulling down $13M a year for four years... not a peep from Lebrun or HNiC. Ehrhoff got $8M for one year and $5M for the next... and it was all they would talk about.

I've posted before, there appears to be very little nuance to Pegula. Things don't work, he won't ever do them again. It's child-like.

sabresfan3383

Dec 3, 2004
Tonawanda, NY
It's truly sad that a discussion I had with my brothers and Dad this weekend centered on how we all wish it was the Sabres moving to Utah. Not that it would help the owner part of equation unfortunately. Anyone start a change.org petition asking Bettman to revoke the franchise rights on basis of sheer negligence?

Hard to believe that Thursday will be 13 years since I attended the last Sabres playoff victory, game 5 in Philly, Ennis in OT
220927_10150165604211290_4490507_o.jpg
204596_10150165603721290_2827569_o.jpg

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's truly sad that a discussion I had with my brothers and Dad this weekend centered on how we all wish it was the Sabres moving to Utah.
Why?

I do not understand this mentality. I don't mean to necessarily ask it of you per se -- I see this a bunch on Facebook and through other means.

And I do not understand it at all. Why would you wish for your team to just be no more? Wouldn't it be far easier on everyone if you (again, not picking on you per se, more like the grandiose "you" referring to all who feel like this) just stopped being a fan and then let those who still enjoy being a fan of the team just continue to enjoy being a fan of the team?

Why wish for it to disappear? I don't get it.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Why?

I do not understand this mentality. I don't mean to necessarily ask it of you per se -- I see this a bunch on Facebook and through other means.

And I do not understand it at all. Why would you wish for your team to just be no more? Wouldn't it be far easier on everyone if you (again, not picking on you per se, more like the grandiose "you" referring to all who feel like this) just stopped being a fan and then let those who still enjoy being a fan of the team just continue to enjoy being a fan of the team?

It’s really sad.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
To add. To my removed contents , did Terry and Kim change and fight back against pedo penn state culture and are now targeted for it. Something is amiss in buffalo sports especially hockey. Wtf. Lets all figure this out .

Not blaming anyone just seeing penn state and seeing the downfall. ( maybe just the tank ) of one of the league most successful stories franchises seemingly blackballed or whatever

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Sounds like this boat analogy is coming from a place of personal experience.

The pertinent piece of information that you left out of your story that I and I am sure many other are curious about is, "How many years of neglect does it take for the boat to sink?", cause I fear we may quickly be approaching that event for the U.S.S. Buffalo Sabres.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sounds like this boat analogy is coming from a place of personal experience.

The pertinent piece of information that you left out of your story that I and I am sure many other are curious about is, "How many years of neglect does it take for the boat to sink?", cause I fear we may quickly be approaching that event for the U.S.S. Buffalo Sabres.

It's the old joke - the two happiest days of any man's life are the day he gets his first boat and the day he sells it.

sabresfan3383

Dec 3, 2004
Tonawanda, NY
Why?

It's not wishing for it to disappear per se. It is more the hope that, like Arizona fans right now, the NHL would come back and the Sabres will be in a better position. And yes, I realize the same owner will probably be there to own Yotes 2.0, so it's not a perfect analogy.

Because if it isn't clear, it won't get any better so long as the current ownership remains. The saying 'The fish rots from the head down' yeah, that fully applies to Sabres. Unfortunately, us as fans, are the tail and seemingly powerless to do anything to change it. We all just get to watch something we all love die and it f***ing sucks.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't know why any competent front office person would think that pro scouts are unnecessary because they have two or three smart analytics people.

On the amateur scouting side, they have talked a lot about how the scouts and the analytics team work together. And we have seen pretty good results. I just don't know why on earth they wouldn't apply that same process to the pro scouting side and use pro scouts and analytics together. That seems to be what most well run NHL organizations do.
I don’t think it’s about thinking they’re unnecessary but maybe not a primary focus up to this point. Don’t think it has to do with money either. It’s about their heavy focus on drafting/developing as their primary means of rebuilding.

Our front office is about the same size as the Canes. We both have 14 people dedicated to scouting. Their pro to amateur ratio is 5 to 9 . If the Sabres having 1 pro scout is accurate, then we have a 2 to 12 ratio.

Per Adams presser today, Both Karmanos and Jakubowski are on the pro side. I would imagine Karmanos is heavily involved in scouting. But Jakubowski is a money guy from what I recall. So that gets them to 3 guys , assuming only 1 pro scout.

I could see them adding help on the pro side this offseason.

Reactions: HOOats

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
It's not wishing for it to disappear per se. It is more the hope that, like Arizona fans right now, the NHL would come back and the Sabres will be in a better position. And yes, I realize the same owner will probably be there to own Yotes 2.0, so it's not a perfect analogy.

Because if it isn't clear, it won't get any better so long as the current ownership remains. The saying 'The fish rots from the head down' yeah, that fully applies to Sabres. Unfortunately, us as fans, are the tail and seemingly powerless to do anything to change it. We all just get to watch something we all love die and it f***ing sucks.

I believe most people realize that if the Sabres move, that’s it for NHL hockey in Buffalo. To get an expansion team or a team to move here, there would need to be a new arena and a bunch of other things and I’m not even sure that would matter. I do believe Toronto could block a new team from being in Buffalo. So it would all be for naught.

Reactions: Yemmar and Zman5778

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
In terms of actual success? That's not really debatable, they are ahead of us.

In terms of long term? I think we have a more talented and deeper prospect group, but we've also selected higher and more often than them.

The biggest difference is the ownership and front office.
They're not a playoff team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don’t think it’s about thinking they’re unnecessary but maybe not a primary focus up to this point. Don’t think it has to do with money either. It’s about their heavy focus on drafting/developing as their primary means of rebuilding.

Our front office is about the same size as the Canes. We both have 14 people dedicated to scouting. Their pro to amateur ratio is 5 to 9 . If the Sabres having 1 pro scout is accurate, then we have a 2 to 12 ratio.

Per Adams presser today, Both Karmanos and Jakubowski are on the pro side. I would imagine Karmanos is heavily involved in scouting. But Jakubowski is a money guy from what I recall. So that gets them to 3 guys , assuming only 1 pro scout.

I could see them adding help on the pro side this offseason.
I hope so since they need to make a trade or two for vets and it's hard to do that well without solid pro scouts, IMO.

Reactions: joshjull

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Who cares? Its always been an incredibly stupid talking point.

The very first season after those comments were attributed to them, what did our ownership do? Did they penny pinch as @BuffaloMango assert? No they didn’t.

They spent to the upper limit during the Covid season. The season that had almost no revenue. Thus ensuring they lost 15+mil more than they would have spending to the lower limit. They also allowed Adams to fire Krueger which cost them another 4-5mil since he had another year left on his deal.

So they ate 20mil or so more than they had to. Does that sound remotely like penny pinching? Of course it doesn’t. Yet here we are seeing the same fever dream conspiracies getting posted.

Responding here because I am not hijacking the Adams/Granato thread.

I didn't mention anything about the Covid season. I was talking about institutional support being a valid concern for any coach coming in. Spending on general maintenance (not even upgrades) are a big part of being supported. As somebody who has worked with the NCAA and USOC you would have a tough time convincing a top coaching candidate on either stage that their program will be supported properly in that physical environment.

You keep mentioning that during the Covid season Pegula spent to the upper limits of the cap. He didn't. I checked the wayback machine as far as they go. To keep things streamline I used the starting month for each season. Here are the Sabres cap rankings.

2015: 27th
2016: 24th
2017: 19th
2018: 6th
2019: 4th
2020: 18th
2021: 32nd
2022: 32nd
2023: 31st

Over the course of the last 9 years the Sabres have been in the top half of the league in spending just twice. TWICE! Neither of those seasons were during Covid.

The concern about institutional support from Pegula is cumulative. It isn't just the roof, or the salary cap, or the scouting dept (tied with OTT for the smallest dept in the NHL) It is all of those things combined. He hasn't supported this org properly compared to his peers in a very long time. It is and should be a concern for anybody entering the org and trying to turn this thing around.

EDIT: Somebody in a different thread asked about analytics and player dev. I didn't look at that across all 32 teams. We can use Pittsburgh as a high water mark or close to it with 22 people in the scouting department compared to the Sabres 14. Comparatively they have 5 people in their analytics department to the Sabres 3 and 8 people in "Player Development" to the Sabres 4.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Responding here because I am not hijacking the Adams/Granato thread.

I didn't mention anything about the Covid season. I was talking about institutional support being a valid concern for any coach coming in. Spending on general maintenance (not even upgrades) are a big part of being supported. As somebody who has worked with the NCAA and USOC you would have a tough time convincing a top coaching candidate on either stage that their program will be supported properly in that physical environment.
I hate to break it to you but the facilities the coach will be using will be good (in the arena) to great (harborcenter). I don’t see them caring much about other parts of the arena. Even though fans are rightfully pissed off about those things.

I’d also point out none of this has had any bearing on us losing for 13yrs or our previous coaching hires. Pegula’s bad management hires are responsible for that.
You keep mentioning that during the Covid season Pegula spent to the upper limits of the cap. He didn't.
Oh but they did. IIRC our cap hit going into the 20-21 seasons was roughly 79.5mil, about 2mil shy of the 81.5mil upper limit. The lower limit was 60.2mil.
I checked the wayback machine as far as they go. To keep things streamline I used the starting month for each season. Here are the Sabres cap rankings.

2015: 27th
2016: 24th
2017: 19th
2018: 6th
2019: 4th
2020: 18th
2021: 32nd
2022: 32nd
2023: 31st

Over the course of the last 9 years the Sabres have been in the top half of the league in spending just twice. TWICE! Neither of those seasons were during Covid.
None of this disputes what I posted. You don’t need to be in the top half of the league in cap hits to be spending near the upper limit.

Every season the overwhelming majority of teams in the league have cap totals that are at, near or above the upper limit. This particular season the upper limit was 83.5mil. The breakdown relative to that……
-20 teams had 83+mil cap hits
-25 teams had 80+mil in cap hits

The Sabres payroll being 18th during the Covid season doesn’t dispute that they were spending near the upper limit. To prove they weren’t you’d have to show that they didn't spent what they did. Good luck with that.

The concern about institutional support from Pegula is cumulative. It isn't just the roof, or the salary cap, or the scouting dept (tied with OTT for the smallest dept in the NHL) It is all of those things combined. He hasn't supported this org properly compared to his peers in a very long time. It is and should be a concern for anybody entering the org and trying to turn this thing around.
Not only is that nonsense. But it shows an ignorance of this franchise’s history. The previous ownership group (Golisano/Quinn) gutted everything and left it that way the entirety of their ownership. It’s why we were hollowed out at all levels of the organization by the time they sold.

Pegula came in and brought funding up to normal levels. He even funded one of the bigger front offices in the NHL under Botts. Only one off-season did he neglect this. When he decided in 2020 to gut the front office and run it with a skeleton crew. By the end of 2021 we were back to a normal sized front office that was on the smaller side, similar to the Canes. He also built a fantastic practice facility in the Harborcenter thats also used by USA hockey and the NHL for major events.

Some of you have really latched onto to the 2020 offseason. You act like it represents his entire ownership tenure, as if Pegula has been Golisano/Quinn 2.0. Which is ridiculous.

EDIT: Somebody in a different thread asked about analytics and player dev. I didn't look at that across all 32 teams. We can use Pittsburgh as a high water mark or close to it with 22 people in the scouting department compared to the Sabres 14. Comparatively they have 5 people in their analytics department to the Sabres 3 and 8 people in "Player Development" to the Sabres 4.

The Sabres have accumulated and developed some of the best young talent in the NHL, AHL and have one of the best overall prospect pools. Something they did using analytics and player development. It’s a strength of their organization. You’re seriously going to attack that because they have less people assigned to it than the Penguins do ? :laugh:

You desperately want to believe that the bigger the size of a front office (or department in it), the better it will be. But thats simply not the case and never has been. I would think any Sabres fan would realize that with how shitty we were under Botts.

We have a normal sized front office thats one of the smaller ones. Similar to the Canes front office which is one of the better run teams in the league. It’s not a sign of neglect on the owners part for the hockey team.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The Sabres have accumulated and developed some of the best young talent in the NHL, AHL and have one of the best overall prospect pools. Something they did using analytics and player development. It’s a strength of their organization. You’re seriously going to attack that because they have less people assigned to it than the Penguins do ? :laugh:
The pool, considering the mass of young talent productive in the NHL already from 2017-2023, is the best I've ever seen it. They're one true offensive catalyst away from having everything.

(ASSUMING the history didn't exist, and he was just another talent, undoing the Eichel trade right now would give the Sabres every piece you need.)

Reactions: joshjull

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Why?

100%. This thinking is so backwards that i can't make any logical leaps to see how anyone could to this mindset, outside of "i am not having fun, so i am taking my ball and going home." Except, in this case, "ball" is the sabres and "home" is utah? Maybe this analogy doesn't really work :laugh:

The pool, considering the mass of young talent productive in the NHL already from 2017-2023, is the best I've ever seen it. They're one true offensive catalyst away from having everything.

(ASSUMING the history didn't exist, and he was just another talent, undoing the Eichel trade right now would give the Sabres every piece you need.)
Soft disagree - Tuch wouldn't be here and i think Tuch is a big part of the team's...identity? I am not sure identity is the right word, but he is a huge factor in what we have.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
100%. This thinking is so backwards that i can't make any logical leaps to see how anyone could to this mindset, outside of "i am not having fun, so i am taking my ball and going home." Except, in this case, "ball" is the sabres and "home" is utah? Maybe this analogy doesn't really work :laugh:

Soft disagree - Tuch wouldn't be here and i think Tuch is a big part of the team's...identity? I am not sure identity is the right word, but he is a huge factor in what we have.
He's still misses his 15-20 games a year, but when he's playing, Eichel is still a top tier player. The offense needs that.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Love this analogy

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
He's still misses his 15-20 games a year, but when he's playing, Eichel is still a top tier player. The offense needs that.

Its funny, but this is kind of where we were when the drought started

They had a decent team (often accused of playing soft and easy to play against). They did not have the major offensive talent that you get at the top of the draft, and could not attract that person through FA. So the idea for the tank was borne.

Bringing back Lindy Ruff will put us all Back to the Future.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Some of you have really latched onto to the 2020 offseason. You act like it represents his entire ownership tenure, as if Pegula has been Golisano/Quinn 2.0. Which is ridiculous.

I'm going to snip this part out, because the 2020 offseason is when the Pegula's showed their true faces.

Laying off people during COVID, in an industry that wasn't hiring, to save money, when you have the personal wealth to easily float people through the end of the pandemic was selfish. Even moreso when you consider this was Especially given that the Pegulas use extensive marketing that talks about the ties of the teams to the community. They left a lot of people high and dry when they didn't have to.

And you are correct, they did spend, on a short term basis that year, to essentially keep Eichel happy because he told them unequivocally he didn't want to do another rebuild.

But to look at spending dead last the last 3 years, the only word for it is cheap. There's no reason for it to be so low. They could have opted for more/better veterans to come and support the team. They could have let more players stay longer in Rochester.

The lack of quality veterans to support the young players in the last two seasons is the exact reason they've extended their playoff drought.

The Pegulas have been cheap the past 3 seasons. There isn't a way around it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad