Hey now! Let's Not Forget About Pittsburgh!

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Lost in all the hullabaloo of Tampa Bay making history are the Pittsburgh Penguins. Swept as well in the first round for the first time in over 30 years.

In addition, a second straight playoff series loss at the hands of Barry Trotz. More importantly and impressively on a new team with new faces I might add.

Should we just chalk this up to Trotz currently being Pittsburgh's daddy, the greatness of Mike Milbury's second favorite team or is the "retool era" in Pittsburgh closer than previously thought

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think age/mileage is simply just catching up to them much like it did to Chicago.

They've won their fair share of Cups and I think some of that hunger dims and guys get older.

I think the window will stay open a little longer than it did for Chicago simply because Letang/Crosby/Malkin still look pretty good. Chicago took a big hit with how much worse Keith has gotten the past few years. I guess if it happens with Letang you could see the same thing for the Pens but we're not there yet.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'm sure the Pens will somehow find a way to sleep at night given they've won 2 cups in the last 4 years.

Indeed, its been a very successful period, but there is losing and then there is losing like that. We should still be at the tail-end of a genuine window, and as much as I respect the superior execution and compete level of the Isles/Trotz it is not a great enough team that we should be so soundly throttled for three consecutive games.

Tough meetings ahead for management - the team looked broken from game 2 on-wards, and either Sullivan did not know how to adjust or his key players completely refused to buy in.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It’s extremely hard to win a cup, and yet they won it back to back. Tampa hasn’t won a cup with this core, and it was supposed to be their year. Apples to Oranges IMO.

This. TB having Hedman clearly not right is a bit of an excuse, but otherwise they were supposed to.. y'know, at least win a game. A series.

Pitts barely squeaked into the playoffs, they've won the cup recently, and their whole friggin d core has been ravaged by injuries this year. I'm surprised Isles made it look so easy, but the Pens weren't expected to seriously contend.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
That's what happens when you build a back to back Cup winning roster based on speed and skill and then spend the next 2 years compiling the exact opposite type of players.

3 Cups in the Crosby era, it's all gravy from here on out, but unless the front office realizes how foolish they've been...it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
They can retool, but constant high finishes have left the prospect cupboard bear.

It's probably going to be a painful rebuild when Crosby and Malkin finally decide to become old men.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
They need to lose some bad contracts to ltir island.

Like? Johnson is bad but its only 3 million.

Maatta is moveable at 4mil and is better than Pens fans let on.

If Hornqvist is this for the future...then yah that's a bad contract. But i think he'll rebound...hopefully.

Reactions: MattMartin

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
PIT acquitted themselves better than TB. Game 1 could have gone either way, game 2 was close until a late goal, game 4 was 2-1.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Someone make the spiderman pointing meme with the Pens and Tampa.

One team had a historically dominant regular season and got swept by a franchise who had never one a playoff series, the other one stumbled their way into playoff spot in game 81 and got swept by a higher seed...I don't really see the comparison.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
One of the best parts of watching the Pens get swept was reminiscing about all the threads from the past 2 years where their fans kept talking about how garbage Marc Andre Fleury is and now their team is golfing (again) while he's still posting shutouts in the playoffs (again).

I wonder what crow tastes like?

Reactions: StDevs

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The Pens at least took a game to overtime..... Neither the Pens or Lightning deserved to advance. They were both brutal.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
They need to lose some bad contracts to ltir island.

Maybe one of our players will be stricken with a tragic rash. I'm hoping it's Jack Johnson.

One of the best parts of watching the Pens get swept was reminiscing about all the threads from the past 2 years where their fans kept talking about how garbage Marc Andre Fleury is and now their team is golfing (again) while he's still posting shutouts in the playoffs (again).

I wonder what crow tastes like?

If Fleury had played like he is now in Pittsburgh, instead of getting outplayed by a rookie and putting up years of historically bad playoff goaltending, he'd still be here. He couldn't do any of that, though. Fleury should consider himself lucky that Matt Murray was able to secure his legacy for him.

Reactions: StDevs

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The Penguins definitely picked the right season to get bounced in four. :laugh:

However the Isles were picked by a lot of people to win this series, not by me, but by a lot of pundits. Higher seed, better defense, better goalie, etc., this isn't an upset at all really. The only shocking thing is the sweep.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad