Hershey (AHL) and South Carolina (ECHL) 2016-17 Season

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Burgdoerfer signs with the Sabres/Rochester. He got that NHL deal that he had hoped for.

Kind of surprised that Sean Collins hasn't been scooped up. I guess shifting over to vet status and being a healthy scratch in the finals isn't the best going into a FA period. Maybe he's holding out for a spot overseas

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
With this happening so late in the summer, I wonder a new Assistant Coach will be hired. I know Murphy is still in the picture but many fans don't have much faith in him. He ran the PP last year and it looked like a train wreck except for the time Gomez was here.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Looks like Hershey is adding a new assistant now that Helmer is the new VP

Quick Google search reveals he is a former defenseman. I'm assuming he takes over Helmer's role entirely.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Good article on Cashman:
It wasn’t something Cashman lobbied for; he says the Capitals contacted him two weeks ago to gauge his interest.

Todd Reirden, a Washington assistant, coached Cashman for a season in the AHL and made the initial call. Cashman also played for Capitals assistant Lane Lambert in Milwaukee as well as Troy Mann, Hershey’s head coach, in Columbia, South Carolina.

Washington’s interest, Cashman believes, is rooted in current Quinnipiac defenseman Chase Priskie, a sixth-round draft pick of the team last month. Priskie attended the Capitals development camp in early July and was so impressive it sparked their interest in Cashman, his position coach.

The things Priskie was doing, from technique to work ethic to the systems, were identical to what Washington teaches and runs.

“He was unbelievable at their development camp,†Cashman said. “I honestly think that really helped me get this job.â€

Cashman’s work in helping Quinnipiac reach the national championship game in 2013 and in April was also imperative in opening doors. When players and teams succeed, it reflects well on the coaches.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I was reading that article this morning and thought that was a very positive sign. Doesn't hurt that he has a lot of ties to the organization. I'm sure he will step in and do a great job

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Haven't been updating as much. It's been a busy summer for me and haven't been on. Here are a few updates I've seen float around the past few weeks:

-Austin Fyten signed with the Texas Stars. He's the second SC player to be signed by the Stars (Herbert).

-SC has had a bunch of signings. Colton Saucerman, Trevor Gillies, Joe Devin and Wade Epp resigned. They signed Steve Weinstein, Evan Moore, Alex Pompeo, Danny Federico, and Steven McFarland.

-David Pacan signed with the Brampton Beast. He was SC's leading scorer last season.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Axel Jonsson Fjallby will play in Sweden again this year per his own twitter account. Was some talk of him coming over as a CHL import.

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
Bears are now just 3 weeks away from opening the season. We have no affiliation announcement, no play by play guy and no beat writer that keeps us up to date with information. Real hard to get too excited.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Pretty sure the affiliation announcement happened a while ago, along with the restructuring of the front office. It's still Washington.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Pretty sure the affiliation announcement happened a while ago, along with the restructuring of the front office. It's still Washington.

Yeah I am remembering the same but google search is not pulling up anything. Wonder if it was some verbal twitter quote.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Obviously it's Washington, but he's not wrong in pointing out that no official announcement has taken place. The only official update I can remember was Helmer's position being announced and that he would start digging in to affiliation talks.

Also odd that they haven't announced a new announcer. That will have to be soon with the preseason around the corner

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The SC Stingrays guy has been promoted to become the new voice of the Bears. Kind of odd considering it looks as if he is taking over for Stuccio's entire role judging by the press release. Wonder what the scoop is with Stuccio being fired?

Sep 19, 2008
Odd Stuccio's position was discontinued in the first place. He just said his position was "discontinued". The guy was always classy and a class act

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
Odd Stuccio's position was discontinued in the first place. He just said his position was "discontinued". The guy was always classy and a class act

Let me say that I really liked Stuc both personally and professionally; as you said he was a class act. That said, he was not the best a keeping commitments or a schedule. Several interviews, press releases, and community events were missed "no call, no show". Management had enough. Its a shame, I thought he was the best broadcaster we had in a long time (I liked him much better than Walton).

I used to bust his chops about not posting final score in a reasonable time after games, he shrugged it off. I guess management didn't shrug it off. Haven't talked to him since the week he was let go. I sincerely hope he lands on his feet. The guy is extremely talented and I for one will miss him.

I was certainly unhappy when the news broke as it was a surprise to insiders as well. However, after hearing the rationale and lots of anecdotes I understand the decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad