Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2013-14 Season

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Gill signed with Hershey (and is expected to play primarily in Reading). Link

Kashirsky is not going to play for Reading after all and will instead play in Europe (not sure which league). Link

Gill is a big add, but Kashirsky is a big loss. I wonder if they expect Galiev to fill his slot most of the year.

yes im curios to see were Galiev ends up i heard that Reading is also looking at Cepis who played in trenton last year and was on of the top ten laeding scorers in the league

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
So i've seen on some other threads that they predict if Elmira and Wheeling flop that Reading would also flop which i dont see likely do to average attendance and solid owner ship

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
@JasonGuarente
Royals have signed defenseman Mike Banwell. Split time between Trenton and AHL Worcester last season.

Also, if you are close to Hershey, they are having a free talk at the Hershey Lodge tonight around 6:30pm. Stuccio, Leone, Sottile, Yingst, Gregg Mace, Doug Yingst, plus Grady Whittenburg (Bing Sens), and Reading Royals broadcaster and media relations director Mark Thompson and the Kelly Cup.

http://www.hersheybears.com/news/detail.php?bp=index.php&id=4159

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I have no clue about ECHL financial business, but it sounds like they are confident enough in their books to build a high-end roster for next season.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I have no clue about ECHL financial business, but it sounds like they are confident enough in their books to build a high-end roster for next season.

Above the table finances, unlike the AHL, the ECHL is a salary cap league. Like the AHL, there's a vet max although not the same rule.

Want to learn more, here's a good place to start:

http://www.phpa.com/index.php/site/agreements

Usually you see combo of some signings and camp invites of names you don't recognize and guys hoping to make a roster, but this has the signs of a returning Cup winning coach and the relationship with Hershey doesn't hurt.

As to the League, I hear rumors about certain franchises, but who knows. Doesn't help that Trenton folded. Like some other franchises, Reading looked to be hurting in terms of attendance last season, but I defer to those that know the market better than I do. Have to think the playoff run helped.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Above the table finances, unlike the AHL, the ECHL is a salary cap league. Like the AHL, there's a vet max although not the same rule.

Want to learn more, here's a good place to start:

http://www.phpa.com/index.php/site/agreements

Usually you see combo of some signings and camp invites of names you don't recognize and guys hoping to make a roster, but this has the signs of a returning Cup winning coach and the relationship with Hershey doesn't hurt.

As to the League, I hear rumors about certain franchises, but who knows. Doesn't help that Trenton folded. Like some other franchises, Reading looked to be hurting in terms of attendance last season, but I defer to those that know the market better than I do. Have to think the playoff run helped.

I'm a Reading season ticket holder according to my ticket rep the Royals have 3850 season tickets and anoter 1200 weekend packages for this season sofar

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Is it just me or does the Bears forward line-up look dominant? 11 forwards had more than 0.4 points per game in their last season in the AHL: Leblanc, Taffe, Wellman, Whitmore, Johnson, Segal, Brittain, Latta, Mitchell, Stoa, Watkins.

Even though I expect Latta or Mitchell to make the Caps from the camp, can't help but pull for the potential Brittain/Byers - Latta - Mitchell line. These guys would hit everything that moves.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Is it just me or does the Bears forward line-up look dominant? 11 forwards had more than 0.4 points per game in their last season in the AHL: Leblanc, Taffe, Wellman, Whitmore, Johnson, Segal, Brittain, Latta, Mitchell, Stoa, Watkins.

Even though I expect Latta or Mitchell to make the Caps from the camp, can't help but pull for the potential Brittain/Byers - Latta - Mitchell line. These guys would hit everything that moves.

If hershey looks that good i cant wait to see Reading when we get the trickle down from hershey Possible power house

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Royals sign another forward:

Ian Watters

http://www.royalshockey.com/news/news.asp?story_id=2171

As to the rosters, as was noted at the recent Royals gathering /town hall (Guarente's write-up) and has been discussed, this isn't the usual ECHL signings - in terms of the track record of these players, most are expected to play for the team rather than training camp competitions for roster spots, especially the forwards. Some will see time at the AHL level and Courville appears to be protecting by signing quite a number, but it's an impressive ECHL roster on paper.

Hershey on paper is an interesting group, I'm not quite as sold as your are FedFed in terms of using the term 'dominant', but it is a solid roster on paper. So much dependent on the meshing of all these new players and new coaches so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Solid in goal, good signings, but curious to see how this team looks. It's interesting that they chose to likely go into the season with an extra AHL vet, as Haviland noted to Tim Leone, it often works itself out, but that's even without an unexpected demotion if that happens from the Capitals, etc.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I also think there's a chance TJ Foster either gets an ELC or signs with Hershey to make the Bears even stronger.

It's obviously under consideration to offer him a pro contract since he's looking for a pro contract and coming to camp. Same for Rissling in terms of looking for a pro contract (can return to Calgary as an overager and as he noted in a recent interview, if he returns to Calgary, he'll likely be the captain.) As to Foster making Hershey stronger, I'd say that would be a wait and see how he adjusts to the pro game, but I think that's a stretch.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I hadn't even considered the AHL as a possibility. He's 18 - he's eligible to play with Hershey, AFAIK?

Burakovsky? Yes, it's an option to play in the AHL since he was not drafted out of the CHL (the Carlson, Bourque, among others, scenario of non-CHL drafted player.) Yes, his contract would slide if he didn't play in 10 NHL games (CBA 9.1d) in a season as an 18yo, again as an 19yo, if he didn't play in 10 NHL games in that season.

I'm not 100% clear on the current Swedish transfer agreement (or if there is one,) but in the past, IIRC, the special rule about prospects having the option to return to Sweden if they were 22 or under or maybe it was under 22yo didn't apply to first round picks anyway; also, in this case, doesn't sound like that would have been an issue anyway.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Update did a bit of research on the transfer rules:

Announcement about new Swedish Transfer Agreement, a new one in place as of January 2013.

It focuses on the change in the CBA where teams have 4 years to sign a European drafted player. Sounds like the change back to this 4 year rule vs 2 year rule in last CBA eliminated the need for this other rule to continue from Sweden’s perspective, but that’s my interpretation.

http://www.swehockey.se/Startsidesn...3/SvenskaspelaregartillNHLforstvid22arsalder/

Back to what I mentioned above, the transfer agreement specific to Sweden and the NHL, the one that had the under 22yo (and from what I found with a little research it was under 22yo not 22yo & under) rule was effective for 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons, but again this rule did not apply to first round draft picks.

Here’s more about that rule, which is no longer in place.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/26/nhl-sweden-come-to-new-transfer-agreement/

Also, here’s a recent piece on nhl.com about new European transfer agreements:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=669998

Again, back to the basic question, there is no rule in place that I know of that would prevent Burakovsky from signing and playing in the AHL for Hershey this season.

and back to the AB thread in a moment but the latest:

Victor Fernandes ‏@GoErieHockey
"OTTERS UPDATE: Andre Burahovsky has committed to play for the @ErieOtters. More to come... #erielive"

Last edited:

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
It's obviously under consideration to offer him a pro contract since he's looking for a pro contract and coming to camp. Same for Rissling in terms of looking for a pro contract (can return to Calgary as an overager and as he noted in a recent interview, if he returns to Calgary, he'll likely be the captain.) As to Foster making Hershey stronger, I'd say that would be a wait and see how he adjusts to the pro game, but I think that's a stretch.

I think with the rookies, they often make the AHL teams better late in the year. When the injuries are a factor and when they really figure out the pro game. When I was talking about making Hershey better, I was talking about the depth first and foremost.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Sure, agree, depth always helps and is the standard with Hershey.

Hershey's schedule is out:

2 games vs Albany in Atlantic City (been 1 the last few years)
1 game vs Adirondack in Philadelphia
the 1 game vs Syracuse at Verizon Center in DC

link to schedule

Add: Leone's story.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
No games vs. Utica; Cleveland's out, we don't travel to Albany (both our road games against them are in Atlantic City), and the Toronto / Hamilton combo (which drew well over 150 Bears fans last season by bus & car) is out for Charlotte.

Interesting ..........

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
No games vs. Utica; Cleveland's out, we don't travel to Albany (both our road games against them are in Atlantic City), and the Toronto / Hamilton combo (which drew well over 150 Bears fans last season by bus & car) is out for Charlotte.

Interesting ..........

I like that Charlotte is back on the schedule, I thought it was odd that the team doesn't play at all in Albany and wasn't surprised to see Cleveland out, but as always, hard to ever know what an AHL schedule will look like and I know you know this :) I'd love to go to St John's some day for games and back to backs Fri/Sat is tempting, especially since it's a decent time of year this time, but such an expensive trip.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Are there any Caps prospects outside of Anderson and Kostenko (if he is resigned) that look like they will be in Reading this season? I am going to see Phish in Reading on 10/29 and wondering if it is worth it to stay for the Royals game on 10/30 vs. Greenville

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Are there any Caps prospects outside of Anderson and Kostenko (if he is resigned) that look like they will be in Reading this season? I am going to see Phish in Reading on 10/29 and wondering if it is worth it to stay for the Royals game on 10/30 vs. Greenville

Galiev might be there, as well as some of the defense prospects. Most of the forwards would be in Hershey or juniors.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Nothing is set in stone yet, but maybe Galiev, Flemming, and/or Wey.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City

Adding to those mentioned, there's a slight probability Rissling will be there as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad