Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think he means consistent from week to week rather than from season to season.

Henrik averages as very consistent, but he has had times of the season over his career where he has been much better, and others where he has been worse.

I understand but literally there is no one who has that. One year Price has a career season. Next - he is mortal again. Bob does it for a season - then he’s back to the pack. And during these seasons they also had stretches that were less than spectacular.

Reactions: Siddi and nevesis

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The issue with Lundqvist is his lack of consistency?!

Haha...this is quite possibly the worst take I have ever read on these forums.

Statistically, he’s far and above the most consistent goaltender in the NHL for the past 13 seasons.

Stunning. Just...no words.

Every player is inconsistent. Nobody has a consistent scoring pace, no goaltender has a consistent sv% throughout the season. Yes, over the course of the entire season, his numbers look good and he is a great goalie.

But I understand when people complain about his goaltending at times, because even Lundqvist has stretches of games where he isn't playing well. If you seriously think that isn't true, you are just blind to his flaws. Nobody is saying he is a bad goalie. But he isn't consistently playing games with a .920 sv% either. Some games he just doesn't have it, and that's fine.

Why the f*** am I even arguing with you about Lundqvist anyway? You act like a child whose favorite toy was taken away anyone even remotely criticizes Lundqvist.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It would behoove those foolish enough to believe Henrik isn’t consistent to read this article.

Now with NHL record for consistency, where does Lundqvist rank among modern goaltenders? | The Hockey News

However, given Lundqvist has now set a league record for consistency, something no other netminder of this era or in the past has been able to accomplish, it would be difficult to leave him outside the top-five of this era, and he seems deserving of a spot right behind Hasek, Roy and Brodeur.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Lundqvist needs to sit. The Rangers don't need him "stealing wins" in reg. Season games anymore.

Reactions: klingsor

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Lundqvist is the greatest Ranger in history AINEC. I've been a fan for 40 years and nobody in the history of the Rangers has carried this team on their back for as long as he has. He's a better goalie than Richter and always has been. He's still performing at a ridiculous level and if this team makes the playoffs, Hank alone gives us a chance to win the cup THIS year. We have enough draft picks and cap space for next year to put together a championship team. I want Hank to get us to the playoffs and I want him to once again put the team on his back and put is in the conversation for another cup. Boy f*** would it be an amazing story if he hoists the Holy Grail over his head THIS year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
28379380_560956107621878_6004411800067284211_n.jpg

Sharing this because I assume some people will love to use it as their desktop wallpaper

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Lundqvist is the greatest Ranger in history AINEC. I've been a fan for 40 years and nobody in the history of the Rangers has carried this team on their back for as long as he has. He's a better goalie than Richter and always has been. He's still performing at a ridiculous level and if this team makes the playoffs, Hank alone gives us a chance to win the cup THIS year. We have enough draft picks and cap space for next year to put together a championship team. I want Hank to get us to the playoffs and I want him to once again put the team on his back and put is in the conversation for another cup. Boy **** would it be an amazing story if he hoists the Holy Grail over his head THIS year.
He surely has been pkaying like he wants to dk that.....jeez, i kind of agree with @NikC........apparently that memo NEVER got to Henrik. If it did, then he acting like a true rebel. Refusing to give up, refusing to yield. Best answer.......sit Henrik. Give the kid more playing time......will be better in the long run, for everyone involved. Not saying Tank, just dont win. Damned if we do. Stick to the plan. Mind you, with that said i would never knowingly root against my Rangers, that's why I've been getting stupidly drunk (for I then, know not what I do or say)

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Lundqvist is the greatest Ranger in history AINEC. I've been a fan for 40 years and nobody in the history of the Rangers has carried this team on their back for as long as he has. He's a better goalie than Richter and always has been. He's still performing at a ridiculous level and if this team makes the playoffs, Hank alone gives us a chance to win the cup THIS year. We have enough draft picks and cap space for next year to put together a championship team. I want Hank to get us to the playoffs and I want him to once again put the team on his back and put is in the conversation for another cup. Boy **** would it be an amazing story if he hoists the Holy Grail over his head THIS year.

This in SPADES. Richter is my childhood idol and partly the reason I started playing hockey - as a goalie. As far as the greatest Ranger, the only person that remotely shares the same table with Henrik is Brian Leetch and even then I have Henrik ahead.

I also want Henrik to put this team on his back to be honest - because I have no expectations and no matter how far they go, it's all gravy.

I've been telling people for a long time, I can't wait for the aftermath of the fair weather fans when Henrik finally retires and we no longer have his elite consistency. So many don't know how spoiled we've been. (and no, I don't wash him clean of any blame for bad goals or games)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Maybe not the thread for this but MacKenzie Skapsie playing for Orlando Solar Bears????? Wtf

& he just got torched on an unmolested shot from the left boards.

What’s going on w/Him?????

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Maybe not the thread for this but MacKenzie Skapsie playing for Orlando Solar Bears????? Wtf

& he just got torched on an unmolested shot from the left boards.

What’s going on w/Him?????

Might not be the same after his hip surgery.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He surely has been pkaying like he wants to dk that.....jeez, i kind of agree with @NikC........apparently that memo NEVER got to Henrik. If it did, then he acting like a true rebel. Refusing to give up, refusing to yield. Best answer.......sit Henrik. Give the kid more playing time......will be better in the long run, for everyone involved. Not saying Tank, just dont win. Damned if we do. Stick to the plan. Mind you, with that said i would never knowingly root against my Rangers, that's why I've been getting stupidly drunk (for I then, know not what I do or say)

They will not sit Lundqvist. Giorgiev will get his share of games now since making PO is not primarily concern, but they will give Hank a chance to get 30 wins to keep his streak going. Lottery enthusiasts could disagree with this approach but I don’t see the Rangers denying Henrik this.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
They will not sit Lundqvist. Giorgiev will get his share of games now since making PO is not primarily concern, but they will give Hank a chance to get 30 wins to keep his streak going. Lottery enthusiasts could disagree with this approach but I don’t see the Rangers denying Henrik this.

This silly 30 win streak is the least important thing imaginable. His feelings should absolutely not come into play. I'm not saying that they should put him on fake IR or something, but there is zero reason to play him much more than 60% of the time. This is like when you have old tires on your car, you continue to drive it, even though you have another beater with full tires. You are purposefully killing your old set of tires to the point where it will be completely useless next year.

We need to not only give Giorgiev games, we also need to budget Hank's remaining time in the league. Why should we keep trotting him out there in a season like this?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I can't wait for the aftermath of the fair weather fans when Henrik finally retires and we no longer have his elite consistency. So many don't know how spoiled we've been. (and no, I don't wash him clean of any blame for bad goals or games)

I like how some of you guys are already gearing up for the post-Hank arrogance tour.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I understand but literally there is no one who has that. One year Price has a career season. Next - he is mortal again. Bob does it for a season - then he’s back to the pack. And during these seasons they also had stretches that were less than spectacular.

OK. And that's fair.

It also means that Hank is overpaid and not worth his contract at all right now. Or any goalie, for that matter.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Playing Lundqvist at the rate we've been playing him is borderline irresponsible. You're probably not doing wonders for his health and you're not looking at your potential future backup. But mostly the health thing. I can't imagine playing every game and seeing 50 shots a game at 36 won't have lasting effects.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This silly 30 win streak is the least important thing imaginable. His feelings should absolutely not come into play. I'm not saying that they should put him on fake IR or something, but there is zero reason to play him much more than 60% of the time. This is like when you have old tires on your car, you continue to drive it, even though you have another beater with full tires. You are purposefully killing your old set of tires to the point where it will be completely useless next year.

We need to not only give Giorgiev games, we also need to budget Hank's remaining time in the league. Why should we keep trotting him out there in a season like this?

Two things from my original post: 1. Giorgiev will get his share of starts and your 60% is pretty much in line with my thought process. 2. As I said lottery enthusiast will disapprove.

Reactions: eco's bones

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Two things from my original post: 1. Giorgiev will get his share of starts and your 60% is pretty much in line with my thought process. 2. As I said lottery enthusiast will disapprove.

On #2 - You mean those who are hoping to secure a better future for the team? This dismissive "lottery enthusiasts" makes you look like someone who doesn't give a shit about the team's future. Just as an FYI.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Playing Lundqvist at the rate we've been playing him is borderline irresponsible. You're probably not doing wonders for his health and you're not looking at your potential future backup. But mostly the health thing. I can't imagine playing every game and seeing 50 shots a game at 36 won't have lasting effects.

I would be fine with shutting him down at some point. We need to preserve our ROI with his contract. The idea that we should care about 30 wins is silly. I couldn't care less if he hits 30 wins if it causes his body to get more wear and tear on it. Especially if we have to pay him this salary for the next number of years.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
On #2 - You mean those who are hoping to secure a better future for the team? This dismissive "lottery enthusiasts" makes you look like someone who doesn't give a **** about the team's future. Just as an FYI.

Yeah, I very much empathize with the folks who just can't root for losses on an emotional level. I don't understand the people that make an effort to deride the people that want a better pick. One's an emotional reaction, one seems purposeful. It's the difference between murder 1 and manslaughter. (Not calling anyone a murderer just making a clarifying analogy).

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Management never said they were tanking. These are professional players getting paid to perform. Hank will continue to play as if we were a cup contender.

Glen Sather said himself at the press conference, 'we could still make the playoffs'

The deadline has come and gone and they will approach the rest of the regular season with trying to win as many games as possible. They still have a shot of making the playoffs.

Try and tell Henrik Lundqvist he's sitting the rest of the season. He would be livid. It's not in his nature, nor any of these guys.

He's a competitor, as the rest of the players on the team are. They are going to play for pride, and to try and WIN.

I won't speak for everyone else, but to me as a fan, I am rooting for them to win as well.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
On #2 - You mean those who are hoping to secure a better future for the team? This dismissive "lottery enthusiasts" makes you look like someone who doesn't give a **** about the team's future. Just as an FYI.

Look who’s talking about dismissive posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad