Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
It means we're middle of the pack in expected goals for, per 60 minutes, and dead-****ing-last in expected goals against, per 60 minutes.
Got it. Our goaltending is keeping us in games as per usual. We need to send more pucks at the opposition net too. This has been the story of Hanks career.

Reactions: nyr2k2

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
One can make a case that he is top-5 all time. There is plenty there to appreciate already.

As someone who's obsessed with the history of the game, I don't believe there's any argument to make for Hank to be top 5. But that's no slight on him and there's no shame in that. The sport as we recognize it today is over 100 years old and there have been exceptional players from inception until now. Hank's in the conversation for top 20 all time, and almost definitely in the top 30, which is astoundingly good. He's a HOFer without a shred of doubt.

Reactions: Crease

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As someone who's obsessed with the history of the game, I don't believe there's any argument to make for Hank to be top 5. But that's no slight on him and there's no shame in that. The sport as we recognize it today is over 100 years old and there have been exceptional players from inception until now. Hank's in the conversation for top 20 all time, and almost definitely in the top 30, which is astoundingly good. He's a HOFer without a shred of doubt.
Fair enough.

Without hijacking the thread, may I ask what your top 10 is?

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Hank is still way more capable at his postion than Eli Manning is.
Absolutely, but I think it’s comparable in that we all know Hank’s career is at its end, and when is it right to cut bait. Do we extend him next year, or is it time for one of the kids to win the spot.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

didn't the NHL make a top 100 players list and Toews was in over Malkin?

None of that stuff really matters. He's an all-time great. A 7th round pick at that. Hard to name a contemporary with as impressive a career. Impossible really. Luongo? Comes closest probably, but there isn't a goalie who's been as consistently great as Lunqvist has, and it's a short list historically too.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Absolutely, but I think it’s comparable in that we all know Hank’s career is at its end, and when is it right to cut bait. Do we extend him next year, or is it time for one of the kids to win the spot.

They need to earn the spot. Lundqvist is still better than Georgiev. Georgiev shouldnt be starter because he is the younger of the two. You go with your best. Henrik still has some gas left in the tank.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Fair enough.

Without hijacking the thread, may I ask what your top 10 is?

1 and 2 are Hasek and Roy. I often flip back and forth between them...for the longest time I had Hasek at 1, now it’s Patrick.

Plante is 3. In no order, 4-6 are Brodeur, Sawchuk, and Hall.

(fwiw that top six is pretty consistent across most historians’ lists, though the orders will vary wildly)

7 and 8 are Dryden and Tretiak. After that, it gets a bit messy but it’s some ordering of Benedict, Brimsek, Broda, Durnan, Parent, Vezina, Tony O. Maybe one or two others I’m forgetting (writing this down right before I fall asleep...).

Belfour comes in right around 15 for me. If Hank has a handful of top notch seasons left in him, I can see him getting that high.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1 and 2 are Hasek and Roy. I often flip back and forth between them...for the longest time I had Hasek at 1, now it’s Patrick.

Plante is 3. In no order, 4-6 are Brodeur, Sawchuk, and Hall.

(fwiw that top six is pretty consistent across most historians’ lists, though the orders will vary wildly)

7 and 8 are Dryden and Tretiak. After that, it gets a bit messy but it’s some ordering of Benedict, Brimsek, Broda, Durnan, Parent, Vezina, Tony O. Maybe one or two others I’m forgetting (writing this down right before I fall asleep...).

Belfour comes in right around 15 for me. If Hank has a handful of top notch seasons left in him, I can see him getting that high.
Certainly fair. You and I could get into a debate were Tretiak belongs. He could be 1 for me. Ditto for Broduer. To me, Henke was and is better. Broduer was phenomenal but the team structure in front of him certainly did not hurt.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’m not surprised with Hank’s early season success. Similar to last year and a general trait of aging superstars in the NHL who tend to do well from start of the season through around Christmas, just to start falling off significantly in the second half of the season.

What’s interesting about this year is how lighter workload could benefit Lundqvist over the whole season and how it impacts his mindset for this season and the next.

Even if someone was over hopeful with influx of the new talent and natural “internal” improvements, the best this team can hope for is staying long enough in the playoff race with a reeeeeeally outside chance of making it to be eliminated in the first round.

The point is what’s on the King’s mind and how clearly he sees the writing on a wall about his NY Rangers career with youngsters coming on strong on his heels, while his personal career can still successfully continue whether on the SC quest or going back to Sweden to win again with his brother.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Ok, I hope no Ranger fan EVER says the rebuild is complete:
EJA_LvbXkAAihFz.png

EJBKCWtWkAY_jFn.png

Yeah, FUN. If you're not a Rangers fan.

EJBIjpoWkAA4Exm.png

EJBHVq1XUAEdhZi.png

So why do we win games? Goaltending. As basically always.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Lundqvist is 45th in GAA and 29th in SV. He's not passing the eye test either. He's not a starting goalie anymore. At this age, Richter already retired. So did Vanbiesbrouck. Healy was a backup goalie for a long time. Roy and Fuhr retired before turning 38. Hasek and Brodeur kept playing, but both were superior goalies to Lundqvist in their prime and played on more defense-minded teams that allowed for less abuse. If possible, the Rangers should offer him $8,500,000 to be a goalie coach or the team spokesman. Time for the Russian Duo to show what they are worth.

Reactions: Omark

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Lundqvist is 45th in GAA and 29th in SV. He's not passing the eye test either. He's not a starting goalie anymore. At this age, Richter already retired. So did Vanbiesbrouck. Healy was a backup goalie for a long time. Roy and Fuhr retired before turning 38. Hasek and Brodeur kept playing, but both were superior goalies to Lundqvist in their prime and played on more defense-minded teams that allowed for less abuse. If possible, the Rangers should offer him $8,500,000 to be a goalie coach or the team spokesman. Time for the Russian Duo to show what they are worth.

source.gif

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

Ok.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

And, yet, somehow Lundqvist has a higher Save % than the Russian you seem to think is so much better than he is.

Maybe, just maybe, Ruff and his crappy D coaching are the problem? Hmmmm?

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
And, yet, somehow Lundqvist has a higher Save % than the Russian you seem to think is so much better than he is.

Maybe, just maybe, Ruff and his crappy D coaching are the problem? Hmmmm?

One is going down, one is hopefully going up. He's turning 38 this season. That's a great career, but time to move on.

"Two games ago, he was in his prime again. Now he needs to be the highest paid TV analyst in human history. What a fickle place this is."

Did I say that? How am I responsible for other people who may still hold the opinion he's prime now? Do you think everyone other than you is the same person and responsible for all posts that are not yours?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Don, or should I say mr. Cherry, you shouldn't post here just because you have alot of spare time since you lost your job.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ahh.....again I say hello there hot take. You have been missing since last night.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
One is going down, one is hopefully going up. He's turning 38 this season. That's a great career, but time to move on.

"Two games ago, he was in his prime again. Now he needs to be the highest paid TV analyst in human history. What a fickle place this is."

Did I say that? How am I responsible for other people who may still hold the opinion he's prime now? Do you think everyone other than you is the same person and responsible for all posts that are not yours?

Obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad