Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There was a thread a few days ago that got shutdown where a poster called out Lundqvist and said it was time for him to retire

that would have aged amazing lol

Lundqvist is the GOAT

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
There was a thread a few days ago that got shutdown where a poster called out Lundqvist and said it was time for him to retire

that would have aged amazing lol

Lundqvist is the GOAT

There have been threads popping up that say that, or that *insert current backup* is better, for at least six years.

They'll eventually be justified, but until then, I have no idea why people clamber all over themselves to shove a hall-of-famer, who continues to play at an NHL starter level, out the door. Or how those people don't just feel kind of dumb, and back off a bit, for being wrong repeatedly over that time period.

That said, I understand the reservations about where we currently sit with Georgiev and Shesty both trying to prove their NHL worth; and wanting to move Hank or holding out hope that he hangs them up, makes sense. But the same old crap about him being done or the backup being clearly better just starts to go in one ear and out the other after a while.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Amazing that Lundqvist's SV% is like nine points higher than Georgiev and yet his GAA is still 16 points higher as well. He seems to get shelled quite often.

Quality of competition will be interesting to track moving forward as it definitely seems to me like Hank draws the harder assignments, intentionally or not.

Reactions: Leetch3

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I can't really see it but would be awesome to see Hank post another season with a sv% in excess of .920. being how proud he is I think he's going to do everything possible to end his career on a high note

It's really sad he never really got to play on a juggernaut and win it all. Even with the untimely goals he's been prone to giving up, you can't tell me he wouldn't have a at least one trophy if he played for the Pens, Chicago, Boston or a host of other teams that sported legit talent throughout the years

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I don’t know why it’s hard to both appreciate what Lundqvist has done and realize that the time to move on is quickly approaching. Those thoughts are not inherently enemies of one another.

Having said that, I don’t think this board will fully appreciate Lundqvist until after he’s gone.

The winding down of his career reminds me of Eli Manning. We can both love Hank and everything he’s done for this franchise, and realize that it’s probably time to move on.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Hank is still way more capable at his postion than Eli Manning is.

he's not just capable but he's still really really good if you look at any of the advanced goalie stats that factor in how awful our defense is

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
he's not just capable but he's still really really good if you look at any of the advanced goalie stats that factor in how awful our defense is
EI2wDGyX0AAZRQt

iu

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There was a thread a few days ago that got shutdown where a poster called out Lundqvist and said it was time for him to retire/QUOTE]
There is one right now in which a poster suggested that if he could go back in time and not sign Henke to a long term deal, he would.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don’t know why it’s hard to both appreciate what Lundqvist has done and realize that the time to move on is quickly approaching. Those thoughts are not inherently enemies of one another.

Having said that, I don’t think this board will fully appreciate Lundqvist until after he’s gone.
One can make a case that he is top-5 all time. There is plenty there to appreciate already.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You know what I would do if I was manager for NYR, if I could go back in time? Refuse to let Jagr leave and re-sign Nylander for another year. Not signing Drury, Gomez nor Redden. Not dumping Strålman, while signing Girar... what a minute, this would take ages to write.

Number 1034 on the list would be trying to fight Hank for signing a slightly cheaper contract.

Reactions: Nickmo82

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The thing with Lundqvist was the year to year consistency.

In any given year there was usually someone with slightly better numbers. But those names came and went, and varied by season. Lundqvist tended to be the constant.
If Henke was playing on those Devs teams, he would have every record in the league.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You know what I would do if I was manager for NYR, if I could go back in time? Refuse to let Jagr leave and re-sign Nylander for another year. Not signing Drury, Gomez nor Redden. Not dumping Strålman, while signing Girar... what a minute, this would take ages to write.

Just remember, no Gomez no McD.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
It's just a weird situation with the King now. He is the greatest Ranger of all time, no one even close. While past his amazing HoF prime he is still quite good. Yet given where the Rangers are in the rebuild and having Georgi and Shesty (and several other very good goalie prospects) the Rangers would probably be best served moving on from Hank, especially with his cap hit. Yet he deserves all consideration for a soft landing due to his years of stellar and unparalleled service.

And we he retires he will be the ultimate returning hero, in spite of never winning a Cup which is a shame. In retrospect he made Girardi and Staal seem far better than they were resulting in their albatross contracts. He almost carried us to the Cup but never quite got to the promised land.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
There will be no moving Hank. They'd rather risk pissing off of Georgie and Shesty, or trade one of them, than try to do the impossible and solve the Hank-issue coming next year.

I'd hate seeing Geo go, but hell, he's like on a silver platter. His value should be really nice. Practically set to go 50 games right now, see how it goes from there.
Turns 24 in February. Someone will bite.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We are falling if the chart there. Does that mean we give up more scoring chances than any other team in the league? If so, last nights game would even skew that further.
It means we're middle of the pack in expected goals for, per 60 minutes, and dead-f***ing-last in expected goals against, per 60 minutes.

Reactions: UnSandvich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad