Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Who said anything about helping the tank? Where did I say that?

I said he should've been put on LTIR because we need to rely on him and his giant cap hit for the foreseeable future. He's an old player who has now had a couple of injuries as he's aged. Considering his massive cap hit and the fact that he's basically untradeable, we have to truly manage his health. It was simply malpractice to let him play a single game once we were out of it.
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the root of this conversation. I don't really care either way, so I'm going now. Byeeeeeeee.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the root of this conversation. I don't really care either way, so I'm going now. Byeeeeeeee.

The root is that we have to rely on an old player with a massive cap hit for the foreseeable future and that it was moronic to play said player when he was injured for literally no reason.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The root is that we have to rely on an old player with a massive cap hit for the foreseeable future and that it was moronic to play said player when he was injured for literally no reason.
Okay, gotcha.

I guess a few things...

1) We don't know the extent of the injury, clearly he could play through it, so I'm not sure how possible LTIR is here
2) Again, AV coaching for his job, he's not going to shut down Hank
3) Your beef here is with Gorton, not nev
4) He really didn't play all that much post-deadline

What you're saying makes sense. I just don't see it actually being put into practice.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Okay, gotcha.

I guess a few things...

1) We don't know the extent of the injury, clearly he could play through it, so I'm not sure how possible LTIR is here
2) Again, AV coaching for his job, he's not going to shut down Hank
3) Your beef here is with Gorton, not nev
4) He really didn't play all that much post-deadline

What you're saying makes sense. I just don't see it actually being put into practice.

1) The extent of it really doesn't matter. He's old enough where this is wear and tear on his body that should be avoided.
2) Who cares? That's not up to AV.
3) Nah, my "beef" is with anyone who enabled this (Gorton, AV, Hank - if he didn't tell, whoever). I find nev and Siddi to be obnoxious in how they continually put one player over the team, however (and insert any other fanboys into that that you want). They remind me of the Giants fans who vomited all over WFAN complaining about Eli being benched. Fans of a player.
4) He shouldn't have played at all. He should've been LTIR'd. He's too valuable to just waste on pointless games.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
1) The extent of it really doesn't matter. He's old enough where this is wear and tear on his body that should be avoided.
3) Nah, my "beef" is with anyone who enabled this (Gorton, AV, Hank - if he didn't tell, whoever). I find nev and Siddi to be obnoxious in how they continually put one player over the team, however (and insert any other fanboys into that that you want).
4) He shouldn't have played at all. He should've been LTIR'd. He's too valuable to just waste on pointless games.
You can't LTIR a guy who can clearly play, though. He was fit to play.

This is kind of nitpicky by me. You can shut anyone down, obviously, but you can't LTIR anyone you want.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
They should rested Zucc banged up knee too especially when the season was officially over - so he could play world cup in May in 1 month, so I`m not happy with that decision, playing through an injury and all that... :)

The injury Henrik had was not too serious he said so he could play through it, but he was not 100% healthy after that hit in October.

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The opposite should have happened. They should have decided to sit him and let him recover. From what I've heard over the years, Lundqvist himself is the type of player who convinces coaches he can play, even when he's injured. The exception was the puck to the throat. Sometimes, the medical staff needs to step in and protect players, even Lundqvist.

What annoys me, is that when Girardi, McDonagh, Yandle etc play through injuries, this fanbase is blaming them for ruining our chances to win, but when Lundqvist does the same, he's a warrior.
He can do no wrong. He won’t play for Sweden being hurt because he can’t give them his best. I’ll stop here.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I understand Henrik`s decision since he is end of his career - relocating with family is not ideal. Let`s hope Rangers win the lottery in 2018 draft with Rasmus so Henrik can get his cup here, and Gorton is going for it in the 2019-20 season. But we need at least one additional season concerning the 2018-19 rebuild process minimum - so let`s hope for the future they bottom it out for another lottery pick in 2019 draft.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

If you don't love this guy, I question your fandom. Don't @ me.

@nevesis I don't know, seems selfish to me. There are a few things that are clear to me about Hank from this article and what I know about him in general.

1. There's no way he can handle a rebuild and losing seasons. Did you see his demeanor this year? The way he'd stare down god Pionk after some of those goals?
2. He's a whiner. We don't need players like that in our locker room grooming these young kids. Yelling at the D after bad plays. Tipping the goal over when he's mad. Plus, sometimes he dives.
3. Coach killer. That's three now. How many more coaches do we go through before we take care of the real problem?
4. That contract. EW
5. Back to the selfish part. This team isn't good enough to make the playoffs, which is Hank's fault, but also we're too good to bottom out, which is somehow also Hank's fault.

If he really cared about the organization, he'd move on.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
@nevesis I don't know, seems selfish to me. There are a few things that are clear to me about Hank from this article and what I know about him in general.

1. There's no way he can handle a rebuild and losing seasons. Did you see his demeanor this year? The way he'd stare down god Pionk after some of those goals?
2. He's a whiner. We don't need players like that in our locker room grooming these young kids. Yelling at the D after bad plays. Tipping the goal over when he's mad. Plus, sometimes he dives.
3. Coach killer. That's three now. How many more coaches do we go through before we take care of the real problem?
4. That contract. EW
5. Back to the selfish part. This team isn't good enough to make the playoffs, which is Hank's fault, but also we're too good to bottom out, which is somehow also Hank's fault.

If he really cared about the organization, he'd move on.

Well done sir. :laugh:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
3) Nah, my "beef" is with anyone who enabled this (Gorton, AV, Hank - if he didn't tell, whoever). I find nev and Siddi to be obnoxious in how they continually put one player over the team, however (and insert any other fanboys into that that you want). They remind me of the Giants fans who vomited all over WFAN complaining about Eli being benched. Fans of a player.

I'm just amazed how you can sit on your high horse when Keefe's unclear history as a teenager from over a decade ago is in discussion, and then turn around and claim that Lundqvist should have been put on LTIR because it would help your tanking plan. Is there any integrity standard you wouldn't try to twist and turn, a "real" fan?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm just amazed how you can sit on your high horse when Keefe's unclear history as a teenager from over a decade ago is in discussion, and then turn around and claim that Lundqvist should have been put on LTIR because it would help your tanking plan. Is there any integrity standard you wouldn't try to twist and turn, a "real" fan?

Are you clueless on purpose or is it an accident? Legitimate question.

I've said repeatedly that Hank should've been put on LTIR in order to preserve his remaining years. Do you need me to spell it out for you in crayon?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Are you clueless on purpose or is this an accident? Legitimate question.

I've said repeatedly that Hank should've been put on LTIR in order to preserve his remaining years. Do you need me to spell it out for you in crayon?

Why are you so dense? The extend of his injuries clearly did NOT qualify for LTIR. Putting him there for whatever reasons would be a LIE in order to promote tanking (calling it to "preserve his future" is a lie around here - we don't need a message for public consumption)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Why are you so dense? The extend of his injuries clearly did NOT qualify for LTIR. Putting him there for whatever reasons would be a LIE in order to promote tanking (calling it to "preserve his future" is a lie around here - we don't need a message for public consumption)

That's factually untrue. We've seen now that he's still not recovered enough to play in the Worlds. He easily could've missed 10 games/24 days for this injury since the WC doesn't start until May 4th. I get that this may seem difficult. But I assure you that it's not. It's actually quite simple. Please learn how LTIR works before you comment to me again.

Thanks! :)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
By the way, the irony here is that kovazub is so poorly grasping this as Georgiev was giving us largely similar play as Hank was. So the idea that LTIR'ing Hank would cause us to lose every game is completely ridiculous. We'd spare Hank's knee (which I think he needs going forward, although if we can amputate his leg and still get value out of him perhaps I am wrong) and get an extended look at Georgiev. I doubt we lose more than two or three more games than we did otherwise.

But no. Clearly it would only be for the tank. Of course.

(And the belief that picking at 5 or so versus 8 is that much better than the long-term health of our f***ing $8M goalie with numerous years left on his deal in a cap league is utterly laughable, too. So let's not forget that crazy amount of bullshit that he conveniently glosses over in his poor attempt at a rebuttal.)

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
By the way, the irony here is that kovazub is so poorly grasping this as Georgiev was giving us largely similar play as Hank was. So the idea that LTIR'ing Hank would cause us to lose every game is completely ridiculous. We'd spare Hank's knee (which I think he needs going forward, although if we can amputate his leg and still get value out of him perhaps I am wrong) and get an extended look at Georgiev. I doubt we lose more than two or three more games than we did otherwise.

But no. Clearly it would only be for the tank. Of course.

(And the belief that picking at 5 or so versus 8 is that much better than the long-term health of our ****ing $8M goalie with numerous years left on his deal in a cap league is utterly laughable, too. So let's not forget that crazy amount of bull**** that he conveniently glosses over in his poor attempt at a rebuttal.)

Just for the record, since the injury was re-aggrevated in October, why didn't the Rangers LTIR him then in order to preserve his remaining years?

Seems kinda weird to just want to LTIR him once the Rangers were out of a playoff spot, if the goal was to preserve his health for the long haul.

Reactions: kovazub94 and Ori
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad