Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist (UPD: wont play for Capitals this year)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sucks for him for sure, but I was never a fan seeing NYR icon playing for us.

They have worked out well in the past.
Washington+Capitals+v+Philadelphia+Flyers+xLuJO4-u6C1x.jpg

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Oh man, you definitely called it! I remember you saying "this signing is bad because he probably has an undiagnosed career-ending health issue. Why won't anyone listen to me?!" and then I couldn't hear anything over the sound of you sucking your own balls.
You didn't say you didnt like the sound though.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Oh man, you definitely called it! I remember you saying "this signing is bad because he probably has an undiagnosed career-ending health issue. Why won't anyone listen to me?!" and then I couldn't hear anything over the sound of you sucking your own balls.

hahah this actually made me laugh

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
An icon is an icon. You know what I was saying.
Fedorov had already donned two other jerseys after the Red Wings before joining the Capitals (Anaheim and Columbus). Lundqvist hasn't.
The Red Wings aren't also a rival team of the Capitals.

The two aren't particularly comparable situations.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fedorov had already donned two other jerseys after the Red Wings before joining the Capitals (Anaheim and Columbus). Lundqvist hasn't.
The Red Wings aren't also a rival team of the Capitals.

The two aren't particularly comparable situations.

Its not worth arguing over. At the same time Pittsburgh players in Caps unis are far worse than Lundvist. Even if it works out.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
sucks for Lundy but he was pretty bad lat season and became a buyout and min contract player. I cant remember did he move here after signing?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Get well soon Henrik

Hmm...sounds like Hank has had a leak for a while and it suddenly got worse. That open heart surgery does mess with your no shirt look but when you are ripped and chisled, who cares. Rehab from that takes a while even if he isnt going to play anymore

Reactions: tenken00

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Lundqvist is back on ice, is there any hopes/expectations possibility for him in the line up this year?

Physically my thoughts is that he would get in shape quickly if he is allowed to work hard. Would be special to have him on ice, probably give a boost to the teem as well.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Lundqvist is back on ice, is there any hopes/expectations possibility for him in the line up this year?

Physically my thoughts is that he would get in shape quickly if he is allowed to work hard. Would be special to have him on ice, probably give a boost to the teem as well.
He’s on LTIR so I think if he was medically cleared and there was cap space to activate him there’s nothing preventing him from playing. I have no idea if this heart issue is one he can receive clearance for or how long it could take, i.e. will the doctors make him wait a minimum period, such as 12 months from surgery, before they clear him or does he have to pass certain tests but there’s no timeframe, or is this something where he’s never again allowed to play professional sports? Beat writers unfortunately haven’t been helpful in discussing those details (at least not that I’ve seen) though that could be related to medical privacy issues.

Reactions: Honest M

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
As terrific as it was to see Henrik on the ice again, I’m really skeptical he’d be medically cleared to play anytime soon. While seeing him engage in aerobic exercise again is a great sign, that’s not the only health concern to deal with after open heart surgery, especially during a pandemic. Being around the team and competing in a non-bubble format certainly poses all sorts of health risks.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I wish him the best recovery and he's one of my favorite NHL players all time even if he was a Ranger. I rather he get a healthy recovery than play hockey again. He's a great ambassador for the game and to community. I do admire, his passion for the game, work ethic, and attitude, however this is something you need a long recovery.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
He’s on LTIR so I think if he was medically cleared and there was cap space to activate him there’s nothing preventing him from playing. I have no idea if this heart issue is one he can receive clearance for or how long it could take, i.e. will the doctors make him wait a minimum period, such as 12 months from surgery, before they clear him or does he have to pass certain tests but there’s no timeframe, or is this something where he’s never again allowed to play professional sports? Beat writers unfortunately haven’t been helpful in discussing those details (at least not that I’ve seen) though that could be related to medical privacy issues.

Maybe it will get clearer in a couple of days, i guess he himself have some kind of restrictions and time schedule from the medical staff.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
@Zats Muccarello posted this interview on the NYR board and I thought some of you would also be interested to see it. The guy is a beast and he hasn't given up, pretty much far from it. He's not only extremely competitive, he's also very insightful. Not your ordinary interview, made by Kevin Weekes.

These are 2/4 videos, they are posted daily. Part 3 @4PM today. If he'll be back in the NHL all depends on some upcoming tests. He wants to play, that's for sure. It's unheard of. But if anybody can do it it's him. He was back on the ice 45 days after the surgery, holding himself to a maximum pulse of 150. He will do everything he can to get back on the ice, but things are now out of his control - and he accepts that.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So no Hank this year. Doctors say he needs more time for his heart inflammation to heal completely. No Willis Reed moment for us this Spring.

Lundqvist won't play for Capitals this season after open-heart surgery

"Last week's checkup showed some inflammation around the heart that now requires a few months more of rest and steady recovery," Lundqvist posted on Twitter. "While it's not what I hoped for, I know this is all part of the process of getting back to 100 percent."

Bummer.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad