Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist (UPD: wont play for Capitals this year)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We have a young goalie at our disposal that has been developed through our system and was a high second round draft pick that we traded up for. I'd love for them to see what Vanecek is at this point.

I would have loved it if his play demanded he be the backup, but here we are, forced to gifting it to him possibly....

I like Vanny and also want to see what’s what, but this isn’t ideal to force him into. Hope he can rise to the occasion.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Agreed on all counts.

They've spent so many years developing Vanecek and he is as close to NHL-ready as he will ever be. It would be a waste to not see if he can be our 1B going forward. People forget he's only 24, was a high second round draft pick (that we traded up for), was an AHL all-star twice (won the MVP one year), and has been improving every year.

There's a chance he wouldn't clear waivers (and is on a one-way), so, I'd rather give him a shot and find a solution if he doesn't work out, later in the year. Hopefully it *wouldn't* get there, though.

EDIT: Just fixed a couple of mistakes.

Goalies often develop slowly, but 24 is still pretty advanced to not have any NHL experience. I wouldn't put a ton of stock in them trading up for him, given their frequency to trade up aggressively and the mini-run on goalies that happened in the second round that year (I've written more about this in other threads). I also take the AHL All-Star Game Selections with a grain of salt. Every team has one, and Hershey hasn't exactly been star studded the past couple years.

This is undoubtedly his shot, but I wouldn't try to get overly excited about Vanecek, either. Keep your expectations grounded. If he emerges into a solid NHL back-up, that's a very favorable outcome for his development track.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
All the best to Hank, the best goalie of his generation period. On another note, yeah this signing had 'not a good idea' written all over it from the get go but nobody listened.
Seriously?

guy has a heart condition that may end his career, and you want to somehow gloat that you “called it” a few months ago?

I’ve argued w you over the years, but have always respected you position. This? A search for accolades over a legends misfortune?

You need some help man. Truly sad.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
All the best to Hank, the best goalie of his generation period. On another note, yeah this signing had 'not a good idea' written all over it from the get go but nobody listened.
I was pretty outspoken about being against this signing, but good lord your take here is awful. You pretending that you knew Henrik had a previously undiagnosed heart condition?

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I was pretty outspoken about being against this signing, but good lord your take here is awful. You pretending that you knew Henrik had a previously undiagnosed heart condition?
And he didn't even tell Henrik about his heart condition. Could have saved the doctors a lot of testing.

Reactions: Hivemind

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Only the best wishes for Lundquist's health.

As for the Caps, this doesn't really change anything for me, it's time for Samsonov to sink or swim, and I'd like to see what Vanecek can do, as well.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Only the best wishes for Lundquist's health.

As for the Caps, this doesn't really change anything for me, it's time for Samsonov to sink or swim, and I'd like to see what Vanecek can do, as well.

Lundqvist provided a legit short term possibility if the result was sink. Its hard to win a cup with a development goalie and or a selection from the leftover bargain bin.

Reactions: max21

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Seriously?

guy has a heart condition that may end his career, and you want to somehow gloat that you “called it” a few months ago?

I’ve argued w you over the years, but have always respected you position. This? A search for accolades over a legends misfortune?

You need some help man. Truly sad.
What accolades though? It was a bad idea no matter the reason. The thread is about Hank so we're kinda free to talk anything Hank/Caps related. And again - what accolades? You or anybody would send me 20k or sum in a nice new year package? Nah I don't need help, man. Y'all just need to stop being so sensitive.
No one predicted THIS... You're just patting yourself on the back with hindsight... Nobody listened lol...
Kinda tough to reach the back with your own arms to pat it properly, mate. But okay.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Lundqvist playing with another team than the Rangers was only possible in a video game.

Certainly at his age, his career is over. It's better for his health to stop now.

Reactions: Firsov99

DukeDog13

Dec 10, 2010
Richmond, VA

Oh man, you definitely called it! I remember you saying "this signing is bad because he probably has an undiagnosed career-ending health issue. Why won't anyone listen to me?!" and then I couldn't hear anything over the sound of you sucking your own balls.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oh man, you definitely called it! I remember you saying "this signing is bad because he probably has an undiagnosed career-ending health issue. Why won't anyone listen to me?!" and then I couldn't hear anything over the sound of you sucking your own balls.

Lol!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad