Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist Hockey Hall of Fame Induction weekend

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Here's his speech:

"I love winning so much, but losing was just the worst, and it really effected how I lived my life..."

I always pegged him as a player/person who hated losing more than he loved winning. I believe you need a guy like that in your leadership group. It's not a particularly healthy way to live life but it pushes many a talent to become elite.

Brian Boyle on a podcast was saying that after gaborik scored 5 on him Hank wrecked his stall at xcel center and got sent a $3,500 bill lol. Guy hated losing like nobody else

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Here's his speech:

"I love winning so much, but losing was just the worst, and it really effected how I lived my life..."

I always pegged him as a player/person who hated losing more than he loved winning. I believe you need a guy like that in your leadership group. It's not a particularly healthy way to live life but it pushes many a talent to become elite.

Yea, winning is more a of a relief that you didn't lose for those types and it drives an insane work ethic.

Reactions: JCProdigy

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Brian Boyle on a podcast was saying that after gaborik scored 5 on him Hank wrecked his stall at xcel center and got sent a $3,500 bill lol. Guy hated losing like nobody else
lol.

Been reading lots of articles and quotes about players and their Hank experiences. Vince had a good article with lots of quotes, also NHL.com I think did as well. A few that stood out to me are below.

Kreider said that he learned quickly when he arrived on the scene that young guys were NOT allowed to score on him in practice. Hank would get pissed when anyone beat him (the best goalies tend to), but if it was a young guy then it was completely disrespectful.

Mika said his first few years on the team he was scared to talk to Hank he was so intense at practice and especially game days. Post game dinners showed him how cool of a dude he really was and of course they eventually became tight.

Trouba (I think) said that he and Skjei would carpool to the rink together but Brady couldn't make it one time and he Told Trouba 'just ask Hank'. Trouba was like are you nuts?!? They ended up having a great car ride chatting the whole time.

Valiquette said a general rule for practice is that the backup goalie stays on the ice as long as the starter. Valiquette would often end up dead winded on the side with Hank continuing to take shot after shot, despite Hank having played the day before. Valiquette would stare daggers because he'd just want to go home. A F (maybe CK or Mika) said that players love shooting more after practice against the goalies, but with Hank they'd eventually be like 'another breakway Hank? for real dude???'

There was a video the other week of someone beating Igor in practice and Igor literally takes the puck out of the net and shoots it angrily at the player (I think he hit him). It's funny but for the goalie it's 100% serious lol

Last edited:
Reactions: JCProdigy

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
lol.

Been reading lots of articles and quotes about players and their Hank experiences. Vince had a good article with lots of quotes, also NHL.com I think did as well. A few that stood out to me are below.

Kreider said that he learned quickly when he arrived on the scene that young guys were NOT allowed to score on him in practice. Hank would get pissed when anyone beat him (the best goalies tend to), but if it was a young guy then it was completely disrespectful.

Mika said his first few years on the team he was scared to talk to Hank he was so intense at practice and especially game days. Post game dinners showed him how cool of a dude he really was and of course they eventually became tight.

Trouba (I think) said that he and Skjei would carpool to the rink together but Brady couldn't make it one time and he Told Trouba 'just ask Hank'. Trouba was like are you nuts?!? They ended up having a great car ride chatting the whole time.

Valiquette said a general rule for practice is that the backup goalie stays on the ice as long as the starter. Valiquette would often end up dead winded on the side with Hank continuing to take shot after shot, despite Hank having played the day before. Valiquette would stare daggers because he'd just want to go home. A F (maybe CK or Mika) said that players love shooting more after practice against the goalies, but with Hank they'd eventually be like 'another breakway Hank? for real dude???'

There was a video the other week of someone beating Igor in practice and Igor literally takes the puck out of the net and shoots it angrily at the player (I think he hit him). It's funny but for the goalie it's 100% serious lol
Lol yea Rupp said that he was told on game day that Hank is essentially not there. If he’s one of 4 guys in a row when you walk in, there’s really only 3 guys.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
lol.

Oh great, so it was Hank who psychologically ruined Zib and created Meeka.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
lol.

I was looking at some articles recently too. Read the Vince one which was well done. Here are two others that are older but are good reads into Hank for those that haven't read them yet:

Hammerin’ Hank: On and Off the Ice, Henrik Lundqvist Is Ready to Run this Town

Letter to My Younger Self | By Henrik Lundqvist

In the Observer article, he does go into hating losing vs loving winning. While he says 50/50, I think he's being nice to himself :DD

Oh great, so it was Hank who psychologically ruined Zib and created Meeka.
Pfft, if you can't look into the Ark of the Covenant's dreamy blue eyes without your face melting off, then that's on you!

Reactions: romba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad