Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Just watched his interview the Panthers posted on FB.

Wow, if personability, and likeability are factors this kids my first overall. He seems ecstatic. Seems to like Nachos...welcome to the team Nachos.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Just watched his interview the Panthers posted on FB.

Wow, if personability, and likeability are factors this kids my first overall. He seems ecstatic. Seems to like Nachos...welcome to the team Nachos.

Awww, kinda heartbreaking when he talked about having zero interviews at last year's draft in Florida and he knew nobody wanted him.

Good for the kid now though.

-ghoste

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
This kid is 5 years away, minimum. He makes Huberdeau look like Hulk Hogan. In 5 years our needs could be different.

Development is whacky and wild. It's a bit silly being so definitive (as i've learnt in the past, e.g Brickley). Who knows.

I think the organisation seems confident that it can take risks, or bet on it's own ability, hence the pick. I don't think the 1st round was that strong this year.

Though if and who called him the most skilled player in the draft (quoted from another poster), that's more than just a little hopeful.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
Not on Youtube yet so:

https://www.facebook.com/Flapanthers/

Well he is way ahead of Barkov in the English speaking dept when he came over. Seems pretty comfortable here.

Here's Tom Rowe and crew walk up and announcement. He and his parents are both thrilled. Very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyk4d9yNpk

Here's his interview. it's 4+ minutes long.

Can't help myself.. I was smiling while watching it.. very genuine kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28-5JFIg9fU

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Here's his interview. it's 4+ minutes long.

Can't help myself.. I was smiling while watching it.. very genuine kid.
Thanks, I changed it.

Gives you a good feeling what a natural he is and the fact he's under control with the pressure of the media. Has great composure at such a young age and you can't help but like him. :)

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Petr Taticek says hello, hopefully Henrik will pan out better than that selection did for us, would have rather used the pick as part of a package for immediate help.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Watched the game. Most of his starts from what I could see were in the O zone and rightfully so. He definitely has a long slow stride and I'm going to guess that's because of his 9" growth spurt and the rest of his body hasn't caught up. I think it was Batting that said he had back pain from the growth spurt the season before this last one. A good strength and conditioning program followed by an off season of working with a solid power skating instructor should help. Seems to be fair in the circle and that should improve with strength. Said he really likes the C position and Denver has promised him a slot. The game was very tight checking with Borgstrom's team G making a number of breakaway and odd man rush saves. Nice facility they have in Turku :)

gcattei

Jun 23, 2015
Love the kids personality. No idea how he will pan out overall, but they say he has flair and a "crowd pleaser", so i look fwd to following his journey....

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
Göran Stubb, the Director of NHL European scouting (and a Finn) has been shameless about bringing his name up in the build-up:

"Stubb: He is Finland's next junior star" from January:
https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2016/01/07/stubb-han-ar-finlands-nasta-juniorstjarna

"Dark Horse for the Draft first round", a week back:
http://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/2016061421730037_nh.shtml
I trust that Göran Stubb is a true professional, but my first instinctive thougt is that this hype was due to homerism among Swedish-speaking Finns (basically the Finnish version of Quebec homerism). I truly hope that he just sees a talent set that would be overlooked without extra hype.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I trust that Göran Stubb is a true professional, but my first instinctive thougt is that this hype was due to homerism among Swedish-speaking Finns (basically the Finnish version of Quebec homerism). I truly hope that he just sees a talent set that would be overlooked without extra hype.

I wondered a bit about the names. When they announced Borgstrom I thought we drafted a Swede.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I've heard good things about him but u-20s in Finland aren't really something that's readily available to watch.

Next season in NCAA will tell us a lot. He has to gain like 20 pounds to be NHL ready so there's at least a couple of years of time.

I've heard that he's extremely skilled offensively, and while he's an overager it's just 1 month, nothing groundbreaking.

I had him as a sleeper first rounder personally but I still was surprised to see him go #23. Was thinking more like 28-30.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
So many new faces on stage when they announced the pick! :laugh: Nice to see Yandle up there chatting with McCabe.
This kid seems like such a great character, I hope he pans out. The new jersey looks really nice too.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I wondered a bit about the names. When they announced Borgstrom I thought we drafted a Swede.

I myself went initially googling for Henrik Björkqvist, in the best Granlund fashion. :laugh:

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I agree. He sounds genuinely pumped to be here too. He must know we love Finns.

He already cracks me up ! :laugh:

Also for the analytics-fans, some guy on Sportsnet just noted that off his 29 goals and 26 assists in 40 games, 41 of those 55 points were primary-points... It was funny hearing those guys on SN talking about this being our "analytics-pick", yet from all we've heard so far, he was a Kekelainen-pick (one of the guy rumored to have more and more power in amateur scouting with new management team)...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Development is whacky and wild. It's a bit silly being so definitive (as i've learnt in the past, e.g Brickley). Who knows.

I think the organisation seems confident that it can take risks, or bet on it's own ability, hence the pick. I don't think the 1st round was that strong this year.

Though if and who called him the most skilled player in the draft (quoted from another poster), that's more than just a little hopeful.

Well, he's definitely someone who's game needs a lot of work. Skating, defensive play, etc. And he needs to put on a lot of mass. I would assume 3 years at least in college, no reason to bring him out any sooner. Then 1-2 years in the AHL I think is reasonable. We are so loaded with young offensive talent, I don't see him cracking the Panthers roster soon after college. Maybe he's 4 years away, but definitely not sooner than that.

Someone compared him to Bjugstad. Bjugstad was considered a long term project, but this kid is a loooooong term project. It still took Bjugstad over 3 years to crack the Panthers lineup. And he always had that muscle mass and man strength, whereas Borgstrom doesnt. The organization is also deeper than it was 3 years ago, so there's no need to rush a top prospect into the lineup right away.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Stubbs seems very professional and I like his evaluation of Euro prospects. He was right on the money with Barkov. So I take his word at face value.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

I'm finnish and I thought we drafted a swede and when they said IFK I was sure they meant AIK (from sweden) or something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad