Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Development is whacky and wild. It's a bit silly being so definitive (as i've learnt in the past, e.g Brickley). Who knows.

I think the organisation seems confident that it can take risks, or bet on it's own ability, hence the pick. I don't think the 1st round was that strong this year.

Though if and who called him the most skilled player in the draft (quoted from another poster), that's more than just a little hopeful.

Correct, even if they think that in house, they should not have said it to anyone.

If he does not pan out, it just makes the pick look worse. How do you fail on the most skilled pick in the draft.

Other than opening ourselves up for more criticism, I do not see why he cannot be as good as all the guys taken around him. Lets get him to NA and on a small rink, and after this season judge how he matched up against his draft class.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nhl/florida-panthers/article85924137.html

By the pre-draft rankings, the pick was a bit of a surprise. Borgstrom, who turned 19 this month, was draft-eligible last year and wasn’t selected. NHL Central Scouting ranked him as the ninth-best European skater in the draft, while TSN’s Bob McKenzie rated him 35th overall.

But the Panthers, of course, didn’t see it that way.

“He’s got good size, but on top of being a big kid, he’s got elite-level skill,” GM Tom Rowe said. “We talked to (European scout) Jari Kekalainen about him quite a bit and he thinks he’s a top-six forward.”

Borgstrom (6-foot-3, 180 pounds) is committed to play at the University of Denver next season. Jason Bukala, the Panthers co-director of amateur scouting, said the team collectively watched Borgstrom 25 times during the year.

“He doesn’t play the 200-foot game and he’s not as heavy as (Aleksander) Barkov, but he’s got the same type of offensive puck skill as Barkov,” Bukala said. “Dale (Tallon, president of hockey operations) went to see him in Chicago at an elite camp and he just came away like, wow, this is just something we can’t overlook. He’s too good at that slot.

“He’s coming to North America to go to college, which didn’t allow him to play in the Elite League over there,” Bukala added. “His club team wanted him to be up with the men’s team, but because he’s coming to college, he can’t earn a paycheck. … Central Scouting rates the players a lot differently that teams rate the players.”

They sound confident, but so did Boston last year, LOL.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
By the sounds of it, the calculator only confirmed what they saw live. Good luck Henrik!

Potvin will have a fit will another peanut butter lover on the team, LOL.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I wonder now... might it be that the talks of lacking motivation comes from his choosing a wiser life-path? The Finnish superstars in this Draft dropped out of school after the elementary to concentrate full-time on hockey, but Henrik refused a transfer to the pay league for to keep his university hockey eligiblity, and was seemingly excited in that one interview about the timing of the games there to fitting to the other parts of life in comparison to the Wed-Fri-Sat schedule of Finland.

Also, they kicked him out of the Jokerit team he had always been a great fan to some three years back because they didn't have need for someone lacking in size, and he had hard time in adjusting to play in the local rival team that he had learned to hate with passion, but things turned up when he got the growth spurt.

http://m.yle.fi/urheilu/#3-8983697

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
hey, i'll leave this to the experts, but when i saw that the blues drafted a c right after us that was 220lbs and said to bea banger and nasty i was a bit impressed. 220lbs and in great shape. don't recall his name, but they were somewhat impressed by him. i'm definitely no expert as far as the draft, but this pick seemed a bit off the board. hopefully our team got it right.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Hopefully Borgstrom is a similar uncoveted gem like Parayko was due to exposure. If anyone finds play-by-play/highlights of him, that'd be much appreciated.

Really like his attitude and personality. Starting to feel a lot better of the pick.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
Excited to watch him develop here in Denver. He is going to play on a top 5 college team with some very good returning players. He's also going to get a lot of weight room time and practice time to grow into his body.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Ill definitely try to check on his uni stats. I actually like this pick. Who does he compare to?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Nope. Have to wait and watch some Denver NCAA games in the Fall. There is one full length game video that was posted but it's very boring. :)

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Nope. Have to wait and watch some Denver NCAA games in the Fall. There is one full length game video that was posted but it's very boring. :)

He starts the game and about 30 seconds into the game he has a really nice sequence with the puck.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Ill definitely try to check on his uni stats. I actually like this pick. Who does he compare to?

He reminds me of (prime) Ville Leino in good and bad. Extremely creative and skilled, but lacks strength and can look disinterested in the defensive aspects of the game. He seems like a smart kid who knows his own weaknesses though and he appears to be willing to work on fixing them.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
To me, I kinda think of Eric Staal (as a best case scenario comparable) when I think of his build and what I hear about him... And just those little clips

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
This is a project just like Malgin. The common denominator is a ton of skill and both Malgin and Borgstrom have it. Can't teach it. And with the way our current team is structured, we have the luxury of standing pat and letting them both go and figure out how to get bigger and stronger and develop. No need to take the huge guy because he's got the size for the NHL now just because we need bodies. We don't so now we can operate like the Red Wings.

They'll be lining up next to Barkov one day. Maybe..

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
hey, i'll leave this to the experts, but when i saw that the blues drafted a c right after us that was 220lbs and said to bea banger and nasty i was a bit impressed. 220lbs and in great shape. don't recall his name, but they were somewhat impressed by him. i'm definitely no expert as far as the draft, but this pick seemed a bit off the board. hopefully our team got it right.

That was Tage Thompson, he plays college hockey. Probably will translate better to wing in the nhl. I kinda agree with Android. Thompson is without doubt a safer pick, but Borgstrom seems to have higher upside. If he really has Barkov hands, much higher upside. We are betting on Kekalainen here, and with his track record here, there's no reason not to. If this kid makes it, then we'll have another highly skilled forward on the team, and our offense will be quite a treat to watch. Thompson has the pedigree, but I'm digging this swing for the fences pick more and more now. I actually like all our picks. I think we had a great draft.

Ciccarelli22eh

Jan 30, 2015
Yea I've had a couple

Borg seems to be a beauty aswell!

You and Henrik Borgström aren't connected on Facebook
Studied at Mäkelänrinteen lukio
Lives in Vantaa, Finland
Conversation started Wednesday
Aaron Levy
29/06/2016 13:50
Aaron Levy
Onneksi olkoon tullessaan Panther ! Ive ollut Panther Fan vuosia . Ajattelin kokeilla lisätä teitä Facebookiin . Onnea Denver ensi kaudella .
Today

00:11Henrik Borgström accepted your request.
Henrik Borgström
00:12
Henrik Borgström
Haha,thanks buddy!!

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Borgstrom reminds me so much of Jankowski. The Flames took him basically for what he could develop into, he was the definition of a project. We sent him to college for 4 years, to Providence where he essentially worked on his 2-way play and adding size. He did all that, Janko is shredded now and he's an excellent 2-way center. His high end skills, skating and playmaking ability are all still there, and I think people are going to be surprised when he turns pro.

A lot of this stuff is up to the kid, they have to have the right attitude and Janko certainly did. But everything I read/see on Borgstrom sounds so similar. He has every tool you could want in a player, he just needs to put it all altogether and I think he's going to the right place to do so. He's an exciting prospect, I hope he works out for you guys, I love your team!

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Borgstrom reminds me so much of Jankowski. The Flames took him basically for what he could develop into, he was the definition of a project. We sent him to college for 4 years, to Providence where he essentially worked on his 2-way play and adding size. He did all that, Janko is shredded now and he's an excellent 2-way center. His high end skills, skating and playmaking ability are all still there, and I think people are going to be surprised when he turns pro.

A lot of this stuff is up to the kid, they have to have the right attitude and Janko certainly did. But everything I read/see on Borgstrom sounds so similar. He has every tool you could want in a player, he just needs to put it all altogether and I think he's going to the right place to do so. He's an exciting prospect, I hope he works out for you guys, I love your team!

Does NCAA teams release their players in national team events ( tournaments etc).¨
Borgström has said one of his goals in upcoming season is crack to Finland's U20 team and play in world juniors.
If Laine,Puljujärvi aren't available he's getting big role in that tourney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad