Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Quite frankly I don't really care about numbers or rankings but more-so skill sets. Just look at past drafts and tell me how useful rankings are. From what I have read the kid is very gifted offensively and has a high offensive ceiling, and very creative. He obviously has the offensive talent FLA needs. FLA will let him develop, and let's see where it goes.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Quite frankly I don't really care about numbers or rankings but more-so skill sets. Just look at past drafts and tell me how useful rankings are. From what I have read the kid is very gifted offensively and has a high offensive ceiling, and very creative. He obviously has the offensive talent FLA needs. FLA will let him develop, and let's see where it goes.

Yup.

So far like what I've read.

It's a pick in the 20's, so a "project" isn't that bad to take.

Especially if it's the same scout who wanted Barkov @ #2

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Where have you been?

Missed your input on prospects, even when I disagreed.

Less time to troll!

This pick is clearly a high risk high reward. Talented forward who hasn't been exposed at higher levels. Could be a skilled Top 6 forward in 5 years, or could be a mid level European pro. Difficult to say.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Not comparable to Matheson at all, some mocks had Mike in the first round, ALL of them had him going in the top two rounds; with this guy Borgstrom NO mocks had him in the first round and very few had him even in the second. Mocks aren't everything but man oh man this seems like extremely poor value on an asset.

This one did...

http://www.tsn.ca/mock-draft-here-s-what-happens-after-no-3-1.512895

I'm not a Panthers fan but he seemed to be on the radar for some teams for a bit now and just recently media started picking up on it. Will be interesting to watch him develop in the NCAA.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Don't really know the kid, just heard... But I like the pick and the thinking out of the box !

If you expected some kids to fall but missed on Gauthier and have this Borgstrom kid high on your list, why not try for the home-run pick ?

Really really like to give this kid a chance, he looked pretty excited and looked like a cool dude ! :laugh:

Abramov will be there at 33rd tomorrow IMO. But we HAVE to make this pick, Vitali is a NEED imo...

Please Tommy Rowe, just do it ! ... Did I just say that ? Go Dale Go !

:popcorn:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

#5 in white

People who saw him play said

I know that one game is an extremely small sample size, but here goes:

+ He has great offensive skills

+ He has a very efficient looking glide and edge work

- He lacks effort, especially on the defense

- When his team lost the puck in the offensive zone, you could sometimes see him stop skating

- He seems to have poor acceleration

- He "skates" (glides) in big circles and his defensive play suffers from it

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2000247

Not good to hear about his lack of effort. I don't think that a #character factor were used to during Tallon drafts?

Barkov needs to work out with him in the summer and if he comes to rookie camp / development camp have Jagr talk some with him ;)

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Coming over to the smaller rink and in a good NCAA program will help him fill out and round out his overall game, nice having him on this side of the pond right away.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Göran Stubb, the Director of NHL European scouting (and a Finn) has been shameless about bringing his name up in the build-up:

"Stubb: He is Finland's next junior star" from January:
https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2016/01/07/stubb-han-ar-finlands-nasta-juniorstjarna

"Dark Horse for the Draft first round", a week back:
http://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/2016061421730037_nh.shtml

NHL scouting community knows him much better than the Finnish hockey audiences. Sometimes there were twenty-ish scouts looking at him particularly.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Yup, Marco Bombino......analyst from OTB (Scouts College Recruits) has seen 6 of his games this year and reported on 11/15/15 that he won't get passed over in the draft in 2016 and sees him going in the later rounds (well he was way off on that one).

When Bombino released his report Borgstrom had scored 15G's his first 25 games. Since that report Borgstrom finished with 14G's in his final 15 games. As a comparison, Riley Tufte scored 47G's in high school in 25 games and 10G's in 25 games in the USHL.

Not sure how the above high school hockey and USHL hockey compares to Finnish Junior A, but I think maybe Soup would have a good idea. So maybe that's why Denver offered him a scholarship to a Div I hockey program. :)

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Pleasantly surprised after some quick googling and video watching. Was not on my radar at all for our pick.

Apparently someone in the org called him "most skilled player in the draft" and he does seem to have impressive instincts and slick skills in the o-zone.

Some defensive work to do but that's fine. Let him marinate in the NCAA. Perfect place to develop for a couple of years.

If it wasn't for Barkov, Juho and company, or his commitment to NCAA, I'd be a little more concerned.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I just don't get this selection AT ALL.

We have an abundance of young, solid centers. We are still very weak on the wing and in net. Obviously there's not a lot of goalies available, but you go way off the board for this selection to fill a position WE ALREADY HAVE TOO MUCH OF.

Seriously what the ****?

This kid is 5 years away, minimum. He makes Huberdeau look like Hulk Hogan. In 5 years our needs could be different.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
#5 in white
Tough to read the numbers to really make any evaluation, but I'll take your word for it that he needs a lot of work in everything but the O zone. He's a project and hopefully he makes some improvement here in the States. Be interesting to see how he does his freshman year compared to Tage Thompson @Connecticut who was taken 3 picks behind him. He also will be 19 on 8/6/16. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
This kid is 5 years away, minimum. He makes Huberdeau look like Hulk Hogan. In 5 years our needs could be different.
He's 6'3"/181. Huberdeau was 6'1"/176 lbs when he was 19. That offseason workout when he was 21, he came to camp at like 190. I think he is over 200 at this point. :)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He's 6'3"/181. Huberdeau was 6'1"/176 lbs when he was 19. That offseason workout when he was 21, he came to camp at like 190. I think he is over 200 at this point. :)

Sports net has borgstrom at 176. Regardless, he has more frame to fill out than Huby did. This kid definitely isn't even sniffing nhl ice for half a decade. And that's fine, we have plenty of young offensive talent in the organization right now. We can't bring them all up at once.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Sports net has borgstrom at 176. Regardless, he has more frame to fill out than Huby did. This kid definitely isn't even sniffing nhl ice for half a decade. And that's fine, we have plenty of young offensive talent in the organization right now. We can't bring them all up at once.
Yeah, I see he was at the combine and was 176 a few weeks ago. I thought I saw the weight of 181 when his name was called, but I would take the 176 as accurate at this point. :)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Has Tallon previously scouted him before or was it his first time?

And by skate 2 hours you mean in a scrum or just free skating?

Thanks for the coverage Bats~!

Wasn't made clear to me how the skate was conducted, and yes I do believe Tallon has seen him previously.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
Wasn't made clear to me how the skate was conducted, and yes I do believe Tallon has seen him previously.

Ahh alright alright. Thanks for the quick response!

I am reserving judgment with this pick... really wanted Gauthier or Thompson but hey.. what do I know?

Hopefully this kid turns into something huge for us down the line.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Stop talking to yourself in third person man...

anyway if Tallon is ok with this then I can get drunk in peace and fall asleep. Hatter blessings to all, we are all champions.

Reading on the Twitters our Finnish scout is bullish on him. Dude was with Barkov too so I definitely trust his judgment.

For all the calculator talk it's more apparent this was with eyes on scouting more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad