Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Again I have to remind you that projections are not linear. In this example you have to take in to factor the late growth spurt Borgstrom had that affected his first draft eligible season with back pains. There's 22 months separating them so all in all it doesn't mean a thing here about ceiling. We also don't know how Vesalainen translates to small ice yet or will there be consistency either carrying over to a second season (I have no doubt about that, but it's still a question), Borgstrom has done what he has for 2 seasons in NCHC at least and for a small ice.

There is no clear evaluation saying who is ahead of who, it's a personal preference and what you emphasize. Borgstrom for me is ahead of Vesalainen and I'm not the only one with that.

2 years is a lot, and Vesalainen is one of the youngest kids from his draft and his offensive development haas beeen pretty goood for over the last year.
He has size, skill& speed, that's deadly trio.

As for Borg I hope he goes pro, another year in NCAA would be a total waste, and I'd like to see him get pro games this year already. There can very well be a learning period and better to get those gone this year and be a regular producer next year on ELC.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
2 years is a lot, and Vesalainen is one of the youngest kids from his draft and his offensive development haas beeen pretty goood for over the last year.
He has size, skill& speed, that's deadly trio.

As for Borg I hope he goes pro, another year in NCAA would be a total waste, and I'd like to see him get pro games this year already. There can very well be a learning period and better to get those gone this year and be a regular producer next year on ELC.
Comparisons can be tough.

Comparing Finnish players, I'd rather take Barkov than Laine, but I'm sure some will disagree. Then again, at this point and for this Panthers team, I'd probably take Barkov over McDavid... (given the money in particular)

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL
If you're the Panthers... do you sign him to an ELC at game 74 and bring him on the roster for the final 8 games? You won't burn the first year and if he really lights it up it could solidify a playoff spot.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If you're the Panthers... do you sign him to an ELC at game 74 and bring him on the roster for the final 8 games? You won't burn the first year and if he really lights it up it could solidify a playoff spot.
Ideally no because I think he'd have to be protected for Seattle expansion if we're looking down the road. This team could use him but we don't need him and I'm not sure he'd solidify a playoff spot. Rookies make mistakes.

With that said, if he wants to sign, Tallon should sign him because you can't risk him getting a bad taste and considering the UFA route.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Ideally no because I think he'd have to be protected for Seattle expansion if we're looking down the road. This team could use him but we don't need him and I'm not sure he'd solidify a playoff spot. Rookies make mistakes.

With that said, if he wants to sign, Tallon should sign him because you can't risk him getting a bad taste and considering the UFA route.
Worked out this way for Tippett as well. It could be a coup for Dale, unintentionally, but we deserve some things falling in place for us after the last expansion debacle.

Reactions: RainingRats

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Once he plays 1 game, you burn a year. He's already 20, the ELC doesn't slide.

Tallon said last night that he feels he could play and contribute in the NHL right now...when asked if they'd sign him once his season is over to have him play for us this year, he just said "we'll see what happens."

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I say sign him and burn a year. Figure out the expansion list in 3 years, not right now. I realize you need to plan ahead, but if he's ready he's ready, bring him in, especially if you're confident he can make the team better right away.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
DT interviewed 1st intermission and wouldn't commit on whether borg would be considered to suit up this season. he indicated they wouldn't call him up while he is in playoffs with DU. but didn't rule out the possibility of doing so if DU gets bounced early. he also said borg is ready for the NHL.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Would love to see him but I don't think it's worth burning a year off his ELC due to the expansion draft.

Potential expansion draft is 2 years away, anything can happen by then. We should be in a better position in terms of depth by then, if there's even an expansion draft, so losing 1 player shouldn't hurt nearly as much as it did this year.

Reactions: Montsy14

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Potential expansion draft is 2 years away, anything can happen by then. We should be in a better position in terms of depth by then, if there's even an expansion draft, so losing 1 player shouldn't hurt nearly as much as it did this year.

Yeah... you never know what the situation is at that point.

I just think an extra protection slot could be really valuable. Not sure it's worth a few games of Borg this year.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Too many bodies as it is, and he would need to earn the trust of BB. I just dont see it, would love to have him in the lineup and taking the right dot on the 2PP but I am not sure its worth it.
Yup, had we not made the Vatrano trade, then he would've had a chance to bump Brickley/Haley out of the line-up. Too much at stake atm to have a guy that's playing his first pro games as a potential liability.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Agree anything can happen but you can pretty much guarantee we'd need to use a protection spot for him so why not wait it out if we can and then give ourselves an extra spot to protect someone.

Assume 7-3-1

Barkov
Huberdeau
Trocheck
Dadonov ?
Bjugstad (?)
Malgin? McCann? Borgstrom? Vatrano?
players brought in via free agency or trade?

Ekblad
Matheson
Yandle

Certainly there's a lot of unknowns in the forward group moving towards expansion year that far down the line and a lot can change but opening the protection spot up, three ELC years instead of two for salary cap purposes (assume he gets a nice raise after), easing him into the lineup via training camp and preseason is probably better for joining NHL, than signing him this year if we can avoid it. Plus there isn't much space in the lineup. Maybe the second or third line he slots in on, on occassion.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Currently we have 15 forwards up, 7 defense and 2 goalies. I thought you were only allowed a total of 23 players total or am I missing something? Thought you were only allowed 2 scratches?
Don't laugh but I'm going off the NHL video game and the roster limit they normally impose on you in GM mode.

Im on the side of letting Borgstrom come to Florida after Denver wins/loses and gets some training/practice time with the team to get familiar with everyone. Save his debut for next year.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Currently we have 15 forwards up, 7 defense and 2 goalies. I thought you were only allowed a total of 23 players total or am I missing something? Thought you were only allowed 2 scratches?
Don't laugh but I'm going off the NHL video game and the roster limit they normally impose on you in GM mode.

Im on the side of letting Borgstrom come to Florida after Denver wins/loses and gets some training/practice time with the team to get familiar with everyone. Save his debut for next year.
I think after the trade deadline you can have as many as you want or at least more than before the trade deadline

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

No roster limits after the TDL.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Roster size is unlimited after the deadline

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Once he plays 1 game, you burn a year. He's already 20, the ELC doesn't slide.

Tallon said last night that he feels he could play and contribute in the NHL right now...when asked if they'd sign him once his season is over to have him play for us this year, he just said "we'll see what happens."
Not sure why I thought the 9 game rule burned a year...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad