Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He could probably play in NHL this year but it's not the best path for his development. If he can put on more weight this upcoming season he will be ready to go pro. I have some concerns about his style translating to NHL level and him keeping his head on his neck. He is a tall guy and more weight will help.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
He's eligible whenever he's ready. All he has to do is leave the University of Denver and sign with the Panthers. But he's already said he's going back to Denver for this coming season at the very least so we'll see what happens after that.

Can he make the jump straight to our NHL roster? I have seen younger players in the NHL.

Has any notable player ever made the transition straight to the NHL?

Last edited:

Mass Panther Fan

Dec 8, 2015
Where do you guys see him slotting in if he signs with the panthers? Does his game translate to being a winger or is he a true center?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Where do you guys see him slotting in if he signs with the panthers? Does his game translate to being a winger or is he a true center?
He plays the off wing (RW) at Denver and seems most comfortable there. If he's ready he'll likely take Vrbata's slot next season. :)

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
The best part about it is my workmate is a North Dakota Grad. He’s of Indian descent and still calls them the Sioux which I think is just the best! He’s going to get a Lets go Sioux chant going in Denver’s barn.

Last edited:

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Me and about six million Finns are looking forward to reading your meticulous and thorough scouting report.. No pressure :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
He plays the off wing (RW) at Denver and seems most comfortable there. If he's ready he'll likely take Vrbata's slot next season. :)
does he really?! he was drafted as a center so i assumed he remained there. if he plays rw without missing a step thatd be hugeeeee for us!

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
does he really?! he was drafted as a center so i assumed he remained there. if he plays rw without missing a step thatd be hugeeeee for us!

I get that the team needs right wingers, but if Borgström is a natural center and if he can become better than Trocheck, wouldn't it be better if remained in the middle? I've only seen some of his highlights and man are those hands filthy. If he can distribute the puck and has the hockey IQ, these added with his size (in the future) would be huge. Imagine Barkov on first line, Borgström on the second and both being 6"3 centers. I'd love to have an up to date scouting report of the guy.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Don't listen to me. I have it branded in my mind that he is a RW because most of his highlights are from that side. He definitely plays C with the Pioneers and I am wrong....my bad. That being said, I see him as a RW with the Cats.

For whatever reason Tro just does not do well from the wing. He likes the freedom that allows him to carry the puck thru the middle of the ice with speed and create opportunities for himself. If he could find some chemistry with Borgstrom and work that magic like the give and go with Huby on the PP goal the other night, that would be some kind of a special 2nd line.

By the way, Borgstrom and Rantanen have become very good friends. They go to each others games when possible and Rantanen helped them celebrate the NCAA championship last year. Henrik's teammates call him "Nicky". Don't know where that came from but it has stuck. :)

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
he can become a legit 2nd line center then thatd be huge as trocheck may be the only realistic and viable high end trade piece we have. ekblad isnt going anywhere and his contract and concussion history may hinder his value, barkov and huberdeau arent going anywhere. trocheck as much as i love his energy and attitude, great goal scorer, although he doesnt utilize his teammates as much as id hope, id be willing to package him for a legit rw for the topline, or, a potential top pairing d IF borgstrom could prove to handle 2nd line minutes and responsibility. or, we could keep all the pieces and just continue building through the draft and possibly free agency, but he'd be the biggest piece in a potential trade and luckily we have a player like borg who could maybe become a fantastic player. hes been killing D1 ever since he got there.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
he can become a legit 2nd line center then thatd be huge as trocheck may be the only realistic and viable high end trade piece we have. ekblad isnt going anywhere and his contract and concussion history may hinder his value, barkov and huberdeau arent going anywhere. trocheck as much as i love his energy and attitude, great goal scorer, although he doesnt utilize his teammates as much as id hope, id be willing to package him for a legit rw for the topline, or, a potential top pairing d IF borgstrom could prove to handle 2nd line minutes and responsibility. or, we could keep all the pieces and just continue building through the draft and possibly free agency, but he'd be the biggest piece in a potential trade and luckily we have a player like borg who could maybe become a fantastic player. hes been killing D1 ever since he got there.
Why would you trade Tro even if Borgstrom became better than him which I think he will? Tro is on a sweetheart deal

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Why would you trade Tro even if Borgstrom became better than him which I think he will? Tro is on a sweetheart deal

something im perfectly aware of and regularly mention. theres a difference between looking to trade and ultimately trading. why would you trae him? to address other needs. we dont have many chips that are worth much, barkov and huberdeau arent going anywhere and ekblad may not be worth as much as we'd imagine. if you try to land a legit piece through trade well you gotta give to get. trocheck is the only viable high value trade option. if we had no other guys in the system who could fill the 2nd center position then you wouldnt think of it. but if you have a high end talent like borgstrom who could possibly do it, then instead of playing him on the 3rd line where his production will be limited, lesser linemates, and when you have guys like mccann and heponiemi possibly in a couple years who can fill that spot. just like any trade its allocating your resources. if you have a strength on defense you trade one for offense. if you have strength down the middle maybe trade one for d or w help. i absolutely love trocheck, having barkov doesnt make trocheck expendable, but if borgstrom is great then that does make trocheck expendable. not that we'd be pushing him out, but you have to consider possible deals and what could be had. besides, the good cap hit makes him that much more valuable. borgstrom has to prove it at the nhl level first though, i wouldnt gamble and assume he will. he has to do it, if he does then id explore different options.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Definitely not a fan of trading Trocheck, if anything I'm gitty at the chance to see these two play together. Vinny can be the Center, he's been fine in that role and has progressed every year.

Our top 6 long term should have Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau, Borgstrom and Tippett in it. Leaves one winger spot open and Dadonov is here for the next 2 years and possibly 2-3 more after that the way he is playing right now.

If the defense is starting to find some chemistry then we can shift focus on finding a UFA LW for Trocheck, who needs to be a playmaker.

Anaheim may struggle with their mounting injuries and have a re-tool kind of year.
Cogliano should be on Tallon's radar. $3 million cap hit, UFA to be. Brings a ton of speed, two way playmaker who can PK. Better option than McGinn and Brickley in my opinion.

Offer them Petrovic + 3rd for Cogliano? At least Petro is still an RFA and he could land a bottom pairing role there behind Manson and Montour. Bieksa is a UFA and probably not getting re-signed.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Definitely not a fan of trading Trocheck, if anything I'm gitty at the chance to see these two play together. Vinny can be the Center, he's been fine in that role and has progressed every year.

Our top 6 long term should have Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau, Borgstrom and Tippett in it. Leaves one winger spot open and Dadonov is here for the next 2 years and possibly 2-3 more after that the way he is playing right now.

If the defense is starting to find some chemistry then we can shift focus on finding a UFA LW for Trocheck, who needs to be a playmaker.

Anaheim may struggle with their mounting injuries and have a re-tool kind of year.
Cogliano should be on Tallon's radar. $3 million cap hit, UFA to be. Brings a ton of speed, two way playmaker who can PK. Better option than McGinn and Brickley in my opinion.

Offer them Petrovic + 3rd for Cogliano? At least Petro is still an RFA and he could land a bottom pairing role there behind Manson and Montour. Bieksa is a UFA and probably not getting re-signed.

I'm scared of that day we reacquire Jokinen

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Doesnt he have like 2 more years left of school?
Actually 3, counting this year. Financially he would be foolish to not sign after this season. I always worry about drafting NCAA because of their 4 yr escape clause to become a UFA. I think Henrik is likely a reputable guy with high ethical standards and "Character" but this gong show of a mgt team and ownership could turn anyone off. Plus he has developed a friendship with Rantanen in Denver and you never know. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad