Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
^There's talk that if Montgomery left Denver that many of the players will turn pro. Could happen as Henrik would likely be sent to Springfield to adjust to the pro level of play which would be a real shock to his system. The AHL is as physical if not more so than the NHL. He really needs to spend another year in the NCAA to bulk up IMO even if it means Denver will not have Montgomery.

I'm not a fan of NCAA coaches being hired directly as a HC without spending some time as an assistant. I would guess the Cats will be his only viable opportunity as an NHL HC this year but it is said he is torn between the stability of Denver and the opportunity to coach at the NHL level. If the Cats offer him the job he should jump with both feet as he will need another NCAA championship to get future offers around the league. :)

None of this true is any way shape or form. There in fact no talk of that happening and Henrik would stay where he is at Denver. Other than from your head no one has suggested any of these ideas.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
None of this true is any way shape or form. There in fact no talk of that happening and Henrik would stay where he is at Denver. Other than from your head no one has suggested any of these ideas.

As much as Brokin makes huge jumps in logic, he's correct there. Monty has even said as much talking about a NHL job.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
As much as Brokin makes huge jumps in logic, he's correct there. Monty has even said as much talking about a NHL job.

Montgomery has repeatedly said he is staying and looking forward to next year at Denver. Whether that is true or not I don't know nonetheless their hasn't been any evidence that players are leaving without him.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

That's the way this board has become now. You can say whatever you want without factual evidence and consider it factual.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
hey guys , do you have any development on this kid? How does he look ? Any feedback will be appreciated .

Dev camp just started and he's still impressing. Kid has a special talent IMO. His creativity paired with his hands and shot give him the chance to be an impact player. The biggest thing on him is his frame, which he should fill out, and his play away from the puck. The latter isn't too much a concern because he should be a winger and not really relied upon for a defensive role.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
would RNH be a decent comparable as far as style goes? lanky center man with great hands and high skill?

I'm pretty high on him, should make a good highly skilled middle-6 center (could make a good playmaking winger but he's been a center so i don't wanna bank on the transition being perfect). he'll continue to fill out, seeing how huberdeau did I'm confident he will too, he'll get bigger and stronger, which will help him working along the boards, protecting the puck (and for a puck handler like him thats important), improving his balance and not getting knocked off easily. he has the shot placement/accuracy, his shot will continue to get better and harder. you can't teach those hands and puck skills, just be patient with him and he should be pretty solid. a lot of his hangups will be smoothed out with time alone. with his skills if he just simplifies things more and gets bigger stronger (which he will) he has the potential to be deadly. with his skill I'm completely fine with Barkov-Trocheck-Borgstrom longterm down the middle.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
I have also been trying to find a good comparable. From everything I have read he sounds like a taller Malgin with a better shot, but that might just be my dumb brain going "their both skilled and Swedish, they're basically the same person!!"

Lol I have never claimed to be the brightest hockey mind, so I'm interested in hearing others' opinion.
Not sure if this was a joke or not, but neither of them is Swedish. :D

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Im really hoping this kid becomes a steal for us. We really need one, it seems like all other teams have that one guy who everyone is like wtf who is this guy who becomes a stud. We need one.

I often have thoughts about this, to name a few, how Tampa seems to find this players that more than often become true caliber NHL players and I ask myself, why this does not happen to us?

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I often has thoughts about this, to name a few, how Tampa seems to find this players that more than often become true caliber NHL players and I ask myself, why this does not happen to us?

scott_luce-640x388.jpg

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
would RNH be a decent comparable as far as style goes? lanky center man with great hands and high skill?

I'm pretty high on him, should make a good highly skilled middle-6 center (could make a good playmaking winger but he's been a center so i don't wanna bank on the transition being perfect). he'll continue to fill out, seeing how huberdeau did I'm confident he will too, he'll get bigger and stronger, which will help him working along the boards, protecting the puck (and for a puck handler like him thats important), improving his balance and not getting knocked off easily. he has the shot placement/accuracy, his shot will continue to get better and harder. you can't teach those hands and puck skills, just be patient with him and he should be pretty solid. a lot of his hangups will be smoothed out with time alone. with his skills if he just simplifies things more and gets bigger stronger (which he will) he has the potential to be deadly. with his skill I'm completely fine with Barkov-Trocheck-Borgstrom longterm down the middle.

NO, RNH is not a good comparison, because RNH is very good defensively. He is used to shut down top teams opposing players.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Not sure if this was a joke or not, but neither of them is Swedish. :D

Lmao oh man. Yeah sure, a joke haha let's go with that. I meant to say Finnish, and Malgin isn't even the person I was thinking of (since he is obviously not Finnish either) :laugh:

That's what I get for trying to comment after waking up early in the morning :D

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
News to me. He is ok defensively.

Average to slightly above, agree with you. I watch Oil quite a bit.

RNH best PRO Hockey games by FAR were last summer at World Cup. I almost wonder if a Space Jam situation happened with him there as I've NEVER seen that RNH version prior or post World Cup. That's his peak level, and I don't see it coming back.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Average to slightly above, agree with you. I watch Oil quite a bit.

RNH best PRO Hockey games by FAR were last summer at World Cup. I almost wonder if a Space Jam situation happened with him there as I've NEVER seen that RNH version prior or post World Cup. That's his peak level, and I don't see it coming back.

I guess we will agree to disagree. I watch a lot of Oil games. Second only to Panthers.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Lol, yup! Never understood how he had a job so long.

I mean, other teams pick really late in the draft when they get all the way into the playoffs and then yet they are able to make picks that eventually get into their NHL roster and become impact players, I could go back a few years and we were supposed to have one of the best prospects pool and all the sudden they started to get traded for peanuts, Howden, Lawson Crouse, grimaldi, were one of those names, our prospect pool was like top 5 in 2014.

I also believe that one of our problems is that our AHL team sucks year after year, If we had a winning AHL team to ice every game, that would translate well into the NHL team, winning breeds excellence.

Last edited:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
This kid really got it going on, he has a long way to go but he is certainly spectacular. This article gives me great hope for the future.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/03/08/henrik-borgstrom-denver-pioneers-hockey/

When is he eligible to become an NHL player?

He's eligible whenever he's ready. All he has to do is leave the University of Denver and sign with the Panthers. But he's already said he's going back to Denver for this coming season at the very least so we'll see what happens after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad