Prospect Info: Henri Nikkanen, C (4th round, 113th overall)

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Honestly, I didn't love what I saw. Has good wheels, but seems to have a bit of floppiness in the ankles. I saw him jump ahead on the rush too early, get back to the zone late a few times each and though a bit of cilantro made me start zoning out from time to time, I'm not sure I saw him win a face-off.

He also seemed to fling the puck away immediately in a random direction when under pressure of any kind.

It's one game and maybe he wasn't used to / ready for U20 and I'm really not a great judge, so take it with a grain of salt, but he looks like he's got a very long way before becoming an NHL center. Then again, it's a 4th, so no big deal if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: mazmin

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Really that is what you saw?

I saw a powerful skater. A player who was willing to get to pucks first and battle. His defensive game was superb. He backed his team mates up. He created a lot. He was by far one of the best if not the best players on the ice against his peers. His hands were soft, He got to open ice. His faceoffs were not very good.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Really that is what you saw?

I saw a powerful skater. A player who was willing to get to pucks first and battle. His defensive game was superb. He backed his team mates up. He created a lot. He was by far one of the best if not the best players on the ice against his peers. His hands were soft, He got to open ice. His faceoffs were not very good.

Yup...

Saw the same things...

Not very good on face-offs is an understatement...

But otherwise all good...

Very promising pick

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Assuming a WHL season gets off the ground, is there any realistic chance of Nikkanen reporting to the ICE?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I tend to agree. He's basically playing 1C with his Liiga team at this point, which is a good development opportunity.

Me too. He’s in a pretty sweet spot at the moment making money and succeeding as a pro. If it ain’t broke...

That said, if he’s serious about playing in the NHL he may want to consider coming to the WHL Ice the following season as an overager, if Winnipeg can fit him in. That one buffer season in the WHL before joining the AHL would be ideal for a lanky pivot who missed almost a full year of development due to injury. The 2021-22 Ice look to be really good with Lambos, McClennon, Pederson, Geekie, Savoie. I’d like to see Nikkanen get as much experience as possible before playing pro in North America.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Me too. He’s in a pretty sweet spot at the moment making money and succeeding as a pro. If it ain’t broke...

That said, if he’s serious about playing in the NHL he may want to consider coming to the WHL Ice the following season as an overager, if Winnipeg can fit him in. That one buffer season in the WHL before joining the AHL would be ideal for a lanky pivot who missed almost a full year of development due to injury. The 2021-22 Ice look to be really good with Lambos, McClennon, Pederson, Geekie, Savoie. I’d like to see Nikkanen get as much experience as possible before playing pro in North America.
What would be the reasoning behind playing him in the WHL instead of just letting him play for the Moose? It would be a big step back in terms of quality of competition.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

There's no reason to believe a year of WHL is better for his development than a year in Liiga. He's free to play on the AHL too. I just don't understand why the WHL would make any sense given the minutes he's getting in a pro league.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
8i5vcq32i8661.jpg

McDavid's in-game top speed was around 41 km. Note this is also an in-game recording.

Oh, this guy is also also the same size as Lowry.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
1 inch and same weight from what I'm seeing.

EDIT: Oh you're looking at HockeyDB, Elite Prospects is more up to date.
Okay, hockey db has him 6' 2" and 180 lbs. and Elite prospects at 6' 4" 209 lbs.

I guess hockey db needs an update.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'll be interested to see Nikkanen versus his own age group at the WJHC this year. He seems to be making some real strides in his development, but has been playing on a mediocre, low-scoring team in Liiga so it's hard to gauge his development as an offensive player.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Placed 11th in our prospect poll last month. He's got much more potential than that would indicate.

And when/if he starts to show that at the lower levels, he will rise in our prospect rankings.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
What would be the reasoning behind playing him in the WHL instead of just letting him play for the Moose? It would be a big step back in terms of quality of competition.

Although I think it’s unlikely that he goes WHL when AHL is an option I think it’s a better option for his development than the Liga or the AHL. The Liiga can’t offer North American ice, language or culture while the WHL can. Personally I’d rather see Nikkanen play in a guaranteed top-6 role and on the powerplay in the WHL, opposed to a possible bottom six role in the AHL.

Also, aside from what his stat profiles lead one think, there’s no way he’s even close to 200lbs right now. He’s on the thin side and looks lanky. If I’m in charge of developing Nikkanen, I’m putting him in the slow cooker. Let a project pick be a project and bring him to the AHL as a 21 year old with a whole year of success in North America right under the noses of your parent AHL/NHL teams.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Although I think it’s unlikely that he goes WHL when AHL is an option I think it’s a better option for his development than the Liga or the AHL. The Liiga can’t offer North American ice, language or culture while the WHL can. Personally I’d rather see Nikkanen play in a guaranteed top-6 role and on the powerplay in the WHL, opposed to a possible bottom six role in the AHL.

Also, aside from what his stat profiles lead one think, there’s no way he’s even close to 200lbs right now. He’s on the thin side and looks lanky. If I’m in charge of developing Nikkanen, I’m putting him in the slow cooker. Let a project pick be a project and bring him to the AHL as a 21 year old with a whole year of success in North America right under the noses of your parent AHL/NHL teams.

Was he a project pick though? I remember him being similar to Kakko and the reason he was around so late was because of injury concerns.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Was he a project pick though? I remember him being similar to Kakko and the reason he was around so late was because of injury concerns.

Correct, and exactly why I feel he should “make up” for lost development time and take the slightly more patient path to the NHL.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad