Prospect Info: Henri Nikkanen, C (4th round, 113th overall)

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Anyone know what his injuries were?

I’ve read both “injuries” and “a big injury” that kept him out for a big stretch in the middle of the season.

Pluses seem to be skating, great hands, vision and size, maybe some improving to do in terms of IQ. Great long-term potential and a character guy who has captained at the international level, IIRC. My fave pick of this year’s draft.

Reactions: Jetsetter and GNP

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I’ve read both “injuries” and “a big injury” that kept him out for a big stretch in the middle of the season.
It was reported as a "lower limb injury", whatever that is.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This Nikannen guy could be a diamond in the rough-ranked # 32 by Central Scouting (for EU Skaters)-- not to bad, just had some injury problems.

Since we're loading up on Finns --I think we need to invite Puljujarvi to the family, and keep the Finn's together as a family-keep the theme going. I really like PJ, and Edmonton wants to get rid of him --so let's pick him up. Selanne and Rattenen, and Laine have come out of Finland, so they have some good Hockey programs going there.

We should all remember Mark Messier was drafted in the 3rd round I believe, and Dustin Bufflien in the 8th round--so you never know if you'll strike gold. :thumbu:

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
This Nikannen guy could be a diamond in the rough-ranked # 32 by Central Scouting (for EU Skaters)-- not to bad, just had some injury problems.

Since we're loading up on Finns --I think we need to invite Puljujarvi to the family, and keep the Finn theme going. I really like PJ, and Edmonton wants to get rid of him --so let's pick him up.

We should all remember Mark Messier was drafted in the 3rd round I believe, and Dustin Bufflien in the 8th round--so you never know if you'll strike gold. :thumbu:

32nd was his rank among European skaters, not overall.

Reactions: GNP

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
We'll see how he does if he stays in Jukurit. It's a horrible team but I suppose he's in a position where that doesn't necessarily matter much yet. It's just that these teams often don't have a good developmental structure in place either.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He was injured whenever I tried to watch him, so I didn't get much. Here's a Liiga game from early in the season.

Thanks.

Not much to say...

"Moves well for a young tall player."
"Makes the safe play."

Nice snipe in the SO, thought.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have virtually no notes on Nikkanen outside of what I saw last year. All I know is I had him ranked at 31 to start the season and he just kept dropping because of my limited views on him. I had him pegged as a two-way playmking center with decent skating in my early notes for what it's worth.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
A couple of years ago he was regarded as the best Finnish forward with Kakko for his draft class. I think he has good value for a 4th rounder, needs to stay healthy and get his development back on track.
He was 2nd to Kakko (Junior League, U17 players) in the d minus 1 year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-22-13-34-22-186_com.android.chrome.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-22-13-34-22-186_com.android.chrome.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 7

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Any recent examples of to-be 1st rounders who fell due to injury and turned into worthwhile NHL’ers?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Aho? (or he maybe never was a first rounder?)
Aho wasn’t really injured and he didn’t really fall at any point. He just wasn’t valued too highly by the scouts before the draft because of his lack of size and not having very flamboyant playing style. Also he didn’t have a productive U20 WJC, although he wasn’t even bad despite of the 0+0 stats. Their team was just pretty bad and especially the coach was an old dinosaur of a coach. I think Finland’s most productive player in that tournament was Rantanen with something like only 4 points in the whole tournament.

Anyway Aho did still develop a lot after that, but also part of him getting drafted so late was because of the scouts often not seeing well enough or valuing enough very high hockey IQ, which has always been the best part in Aho’s game.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Hoping he is a diamond in the rough.
And i'll be (very) happy if he has a Thomas Steen type impact 2C. Drafted in later round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad