Post-Game Talk: "Help Me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're My Only Hope." - Hawks 5 Jets 1

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
gonna miss buff's physical presence against the blues in the b2b games..I don't see how the jets come out with any points in the next three games

I don't know about that ?? without looking up stats, posters on here told me the Jet's won the last 7 games straight against the Blues. When you know how to play a team, you just know how--and match up well.

I'd say the Jet's split with St. Louis and take at least 1 point or win against the Preds. Don't sell ourselves short here--"we have a talented team,":cool:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Our own zone play has been poor for a long time, but earlier we were scoring and winning games in spite of it. Now it seems like either banging it high and hard out of the zone, or the stupid "flip" to no one is the default play, and not the last resort play. Otherwise the only other move we seem to try is to force a pass to the player on the boards, who is almost always covered which almost always results in a turnover and the puck not getting out.

Quick puck retrieval and some short passes utilizing the centre of the ice is something I want to see.

Bingo, there is no general breakout strategy it seems under Moe and it hurts us.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think we once again employed a poor defensive strategy against a team that cycles so well like the Hawks do. We played a heavy M2M last night and got burned big time on switches when the Hawks went high to low with the puck. 2 of the goals were on bad D zone reads by Chiarot and Kuli trying to reverse the puck and then not being able to match up, and 2 were completely blown coverages. The first goal was pretty much Myers being a tire fire.

I was watching the Hawks in their own zone and while they end up having to play man at times as well, they are initially trying to overload the strong side by design. Once they regain the puck off of that they have plenty of options in transition, they played the puck across wide to the weak side all night after getting the puck back off of the overload on the half wall.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
To be fair to Sip, three of those posts were an homage to Buff. :laugh:

Ok this is going to seem a bit cheap and its probably on me it bugs but why does Munz always position himself so he is in the shot with these guys standing right beside them during the scrums? I find it really annoying since he is pretty much the only guy in the press core that sidles accidentally on purpose get in the shot.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It's weird, Laine just doesn't seem to hustle that much when he skates most games. His effort simply isn't there, maybe he relies too heavily on his shot? Ehlers on the other hand, and usually Wheeler are always skating thier assess off. It would be nice to see Laine put more effort into his skating like he is capable of.

There is little doubt that Laine can really book it when he wants to. The coach needs to make him want to.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Ok this is going to seem a bit cheap and its probably on me it bugs but why does Munz always position himself so he is in the shot with these guys standing right beside them during the scrums? I find it really annoying since he is pretty much the only guy in the press core that sidles accidentally on purpose get in the shot.

It's the same reason politicians have "nodders" in the background of every press event now. He's basically a True North shill and they have placed him in that position so he will look at the very least respectful if not openly supportive of any comment made. The last thing TNSE wants is to have an unbiased reporter doing an unintentional eye roll at something said.

Reactions: Gm0ney

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's the same reason politicians have "nodders" in the background of every press event now. He's basically a True North shill and they have placed him in that position so he will look at the very least respectful if not openly supportive of any comment made. The last thing TNSE wants is to have an unbiased reporter doing an unintentional eye roll at something said.

Feels like he is getting his mug in there to pump his own tires (tinfoil hat alert). Brian you have a face for radio buddy step away from the camera site lines.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Feels like he is getting his mug in there to pump his own tires (tinfoil hat alert). Brian you have a face for radio buddy step away from the camera site lines.
"the face of the Jets" - Jim Toth

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
"I watched only one third of the game, but MAN THAT LAINE" :D

You are looking at it wrong if you think about who deserves what. We only want goals from Laine at this point, he clearly has work to do, as he should, being 19yo and all.

Think of it as having a money printing machine. Right now we are printing 5 dollar bills, while nice we want to start printing 100s. once we get the plates for the 100s we will be making it rain at the gentlemans club.
i like mine better :D

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think we once again employed a poor defensive strategy against a team that cycles so well like the Hawks do. We played a heavy M2M last night and got burned big time on switches when the Hawks went high to low with the puck. 2 of the goals were on bad D zone reads by Chiarot and Kuli trying to reverse the puck and then not being able to match up, and 2 were completely blown coverages. The first goal was pretty much Myers being a tire fire.

I was watching the Hawks in their own zone and while they end up having to play man at times as well, they are initially trying to overload the strong side by design. Once they regain the puck off of that they have plenty of options in transition, they played the puck across wide to the weak side all night after getting the puck back off of the overload on the half wall.

We have also had some good success when employing an overload defensive strategy this season. I have no idea why it isn't employed as our default strategy that can be adjusted as the situation calls for it. I dislike how Maurice likes to default more to m2m. M2m should be used as a secondary option imo.

Reactions: Mbraunm

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think so? At least, thats the way it looks for the past 4 or 5 games. Devil's advocate: Against Ottawa, they could do no evil in this department.

The Sens didn't apply much pressure that game which allowed our skilled players the time to make skilled plays. My issue is that there doesn't appear to be contingencies built into the breakout for when we run into a high pressure forecheck coupled with aggressive dmen. We resort to chipping it up the wall and hopong our forward wins the board battle.

As mentioned you can beat the forecheck with quick short passes using the centre or you can have your wingers be more active in coming back down a bit lower to to receive a short pass and then moving it to the C to get out of the zone with control. Our wingers generally sit stationary half way up the boards and wait for the puck to get to them. Some more movement in order to present a target would also help the dmen.

Reactions: kanadalainen

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
is it so damn hard to try
ehlers shief laine 20 min
connor little wheeler 20 min
frenchie lowry armia 14 min
copp hendricks tanev 6 min

swap perrault and connor when needed some one sit behind the jets bench with this line up on a sign and ill buy you a bottle of whiskey

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
is it so damn hard to try
ehlers shief laine 20 min
connor little wheeler 20 min
frenchie lowry armia 14 min
copp hendricks tanev 6 min

swap perrault and connor when needed some one sit behind the jets bench with this line up on a sign and ill buy you a bottle of whiskey

Hahaha, "Frenchie"! I'm 1/4 French and my last name is French, and I still find that hilarious. "Frenchie" or as I call him "lil ball of fire" AKA Perrault is so versatile, you can put him anywhere and he'll make those around him play better. I wonder if he'd match up well with Laine?

Reactions: 204hockey

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I see the Flaherty effect creeping back in to Helles game.

Funny how quick people are to blame Flaherty. The team has hardly practiced in the last month. How on earth did Flaherty accomplish this great feat of coaching exactly?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Funny how quick people are to blame Flaherty. The team has hardly practiced in the last month. How on earth did Flaherty accomplish this great feat of coaching exactly?

Goalies? Voodoo? Remember? ;)

revenge.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad