Post-Game Talk: "Help Me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're My Only Hope." - Hawks 5 Jets 1

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
I know Maurice was pissed when he did his post game interview but saying Connor specifically didn't play well was kind of a joke , he just should have said the truth and said the whole team was bad , everyone including the coaches .
Umm.. what! Did he really throw Connor under the bus ? He was the best forward last night. Pathetic coaching and interview.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
ah yes, yes, back to the old "Blame the goalie coach" excuse that wasn't there for the first 1/4 of the season.
Flaherty's like a zipper, just undoing everything Helle learned in the offseason. for sure. for sure.

glad to hear that you sold your seats for yesterday. i look forward to future seat sale updates.

Someone paid $330 for my seats and didn’t even show up to the game. They must have been running late and turned the car around after the Jets ugly start.

The Flaherty effect is a real thing.

For all of the positives of this hockey club, I will be pleasantly surprised if they make the playoffs.

Reactions: sipowicz

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I totally agree with this--it seems like Scheifele has been invisible over the last 10 games or so. He hasn't been hustling or driving the play at all !!! The guy that has been driving the play is Ehlers. I hope Scheif wakes up--we need him to get that 1st line scoring.
true he has been held off the score sheet 5 times in the last 10 games. He still has 10 points over those 10 games.

Nov 24, 2006
I only watched the first period of this atrocity, and that was enough.

Patrik Laine: each game that I have seen of him this year, I grow a little more disappointed in what we've got in him (currently). I am well aware of that deadly shot. I am also increasingly aware of his laziness and his turnovers. He is often trying to do the "Byfuglien puck flip" instead of skating the puck out of his own zone. He is also trying to toe drag or dipsy doodle around defencemen, and it rarely works, or simply turns into a turnover. I realize he's young, very young, but his game needs to change for him to progress. Teams have figured him out, and unless he's on the PP, he is not so scary anymore IMO.

There's a good reason he's not on the first line at this point.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Patrik Laine: each game that I have seen of him this year, I grow a little more disappointed in what we've got in him (currently). I am well aware of that deadly shot. I am also increasingly aware of his laziness and his turnovers. He is often trying to do the "Byfuglien puck flip" instead of skating the puck out of his own zone. He is also trying to toe drag or dipsy doodle around defencemen, and it rarely works, or simply turns into a turnover. I realize he's young, very young, but his game needs to change for him to progress. Teams have figured him out, and unless he's on the PP, he is not so scary anymore IMO.

ducks for cover and waits for the incoming scud missiles in.......... 3...............2..............1

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

"I watched only one third of the game, but MAN THAT LAINE" :D

You are looking at it wrong if you think about who deserves what. We only want goals from Laine at this point, he clearly has work to do, as he should, being 19yo and all.

Think of it as having a money printing machine. Right now instead of printing money, we are using it as a night-stand. Well the night stand is not all that great because it is wabbly and shaky. So maybe we should start printing money with it instead of something else.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Would it surprise you that Lowry has about the same 5v5 points per minute as Little?

That line allows an average of one even strength goal against every 11 games, and scores about 3 times as often as their opposing lines.
I think that's more an indictment of Little's game this year than an indication of Lowry's scoring prowess.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
terrible across the board last night. Is this team just in a tough stretch, or regressing to the mean? Biggest difference I see is save percentage.. Helle in last few games has not been good enough. Hope Steve Mason can fix things..

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I know Maurice was pissed when he did his post game interview but saying Connor specifically didn't play well was kind of a joke , he just should have said the truth and said the whole team was bad , everyone including the coaches .

Well, he did speak the truth. During the interview he always says 'We'. 'We were slow. We didn't have our legs moving. We were waiting for the game to slow down when it doesn't. We had four shots and were down 3-0.' He was telling the truth.

And he answered honestly when specifically asked about why he did the line change...that was the context of his answer. "I didn't think Kyle was playing well. I thought Ehlers was skating well, so I made the change...didn't make enough of a difference" (I'm paraphrasing here).

That interview was honest on the whole. But if you're asking him to publically lambast himself and his assistants, it's not going to happen too often, as much as you'd like it to.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Good post, lets call it "the truth!" Laine's overall play has been a disappointment this year on the other hand he's tied for the team lead in goals.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Laine needs to learn how to break out of our end with the puck better. He is often static when receiving the puck and with his lack of acceleration at this point his real only option is to chip or flip it out. Granted Wheeler is guilty of this as well but Wheeler can compensate with experience and strength.

I've said it a couple of times but I have not seen much if any time spent on breakouts in the practices I've gone to. We have a number of players struggling mightily with them when we are pressured that I think the coaching staff needs to start addessing things. This isn't meant to absolve the players of blame but the current game plan is flawed and can be exploited easily.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well, he did speak the truth. During the interview he always says 'We'. 'We were slow. We didn't have our legs moving. We were waiting for the game to slow down when it doesn't. We had four shots and were down 3-0.' He was telling the truth.

And he answered honestly when specifically asked about why he did the line change...that was the context of his answer. "I didn't think Kyle was playing well. I thought Ehlers was skating well, so I made the change...didn't make enough of a difference" (I'm paraphrasing here).

That interview was honest on the whole. But if you're asking him to publically lambast himself and his assistants, it's not going to happen too often, as much as you'd like it to.

When he starts speaking the truth with regards to vets sucking then I will give him props for it. He takes the easy way out constantly and could have framed things much differently. He could have easily said things weren't clicking so I tried to get the team goig with the move.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
gonna miss buff's physical presence against the blues in the b2b games..i don't see how the jets come out with any points in the next three games

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
Basically they’ve been playing a fairly loose and ineffective defensive game all season, it’s only a bigger problem now because the goaltending hasn’t been elite lately.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Our own zone play has been poor for a long time, but earlier we were scoring and winning games in spite of it. Now it seems like either banging it high and hard out of the zone, or the stupid "flip" to no one is the default play, and not the last resort play. Otherwise the only other move we seem to try is to force a pass to the player on the boards, who is almost always covered which almost always results in a turnover and the puck not getting out.

Quick puck retrieval and some short passes utilizing the centre of the ice is something I want to see.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well, the dumb thing was that Connor was one of the better Jets last night. All he needed to say was that he wanted to switch things up and give Perreault more ice time. Singling out Connor like that lacked the sort of self-discipline I've come to expect from Maurice in his media interactions.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Basically they’ve been playing a fairly loose and ineffective defensive game all season, it’s only a bigger problem now because the goaltending hasn’t been elite lately.

In other words, still the same badly coached team we were for the past two years. Well, some of us knew that our winning ways were... ahem, unsustainable. ;)

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
gonna miss buff's physical presence against the blues in the b2b games..i don't see how the jets come out with any points in the next three games
the Blues have a few players they should be missing too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

There are dozens of ways he could have answered the question about switching lines without singling out Connor for criticism. If he really thought Connor was playing poorly then I think he misread the game, and in any case on a night like last night should have kept his criticism general.

Reactions: Jets 31

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
Didn't get a chance to watch the game as I was too busy watching The Last Jedi! Saw the highlights after the movie and wasn't impressed, looked like Helly was fighting the puck. Maybe we can send him back to Kelowna for a few weeks so Flaherty doesn't turn Helly into last years Helly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad