Proposal: Hellybuyck - PIT

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Seems like everyone wants to cheap out on goaltending and I get it, it’s not like a bad goalie will let beach balls in and mess up a game for a team and no matter how good their depth is. It’s not like good goalies have stolen more games for their teams than any other position. Is it?

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Chevy said that probably before seeing all their stars force their way out and have to readjust. At least I hope he is able to see what is happening and adjust his mindset.
Is your name based on garbage pale kids, WWF wrestlers or other?

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I want no parts of the cost - asset wise, and cap space - to acquire and keep Hellebuyck.

I’d rather spend both those on putting a better team around a lesser goalie.
You’re one of the most sophisticated trolls on this board. In terms of balancing your posts

Until they aren’t lol. What you think they’ll become the Arizona Coyotes or something and NEVER try to win again? They’ll be in compete mode no matter who retires.
They said the same thing about Steelers.

Good luck getting 9 wins this year lol

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You’re one of the most sophisticated trolls on this board. In terms of balancing your posts
Because I don’t want my asset barren team to trade a 1st round pick and pay a goalie $10 mill +?

When has paying a goalie that much ever worked for a team? A couple have made it as far as the finals and then got wrecked by far more superior and balanced teams.

Paying a goalie a large cap hit is one of the few tried and true ways to guarantee you won’t win a Cup.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
The closest example I can come up with for a goalie around 30 who was traded while being one of the best in the league is Patrick Roy back in 1995. He returned three players. Thibault(20) as a prospect, Rucinsky(24) in his sixth season and Kovalenko(25) in his fourth season.

There is no way I'm saying Helle has the pedigree Roy had at the time with no cups, etc., but Helle's pedigree of being consistently in the top 3-5 goaltenders in the league holds a lot of value.

Goaltenders of this calibre simple aren't available very often. He'll get more than a single 14th overall prospect. I'd imaging a high end prospect and one solid middle six or 3-4 defense. There may even be a sweetener if the Jets are rebuilding and willing to take on a bad salary for a year or two.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I would rather give up our 1st round in 2024+ for Hellybuyck. Rather keep #14 overall this year, in a deep draft.

Beyond that....
If Hellybuyck is too expensive, there are other options. I'd rather go after Gibson/Hart, and go with a 1A/1B with Jarry (if possible). With the multiple goalies on the market (add one of Ulmark/Swayman to the list), and having 1 year left on his deal, and him explicitly wanting to leave, Jets are in no position to get the world, no matter how good he is.

You either get something this year, or he goes for free next year.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The closest example I can come up with for a goalie around 30 who was traded while being one of the best in the league is Patrick Roy back in 1995. He returned three players. Thibault(20) as a prospect, Rucinsky(24) in his sixth season and Kovalenko(25) in his fourth season.

There is no way I'm saying Helle has the pedigree Roy had at the time with no cups, etc., but Helle's pedigree of being consistently in the top 3-5 goaltenders in the league holds a lot of value.

Goaltenders of this calibre simple aren't available very often. He'll get more than a single 14th overall prospect. I'd imaging a high end prospect and one solid middle six or 3-4 defense. There may even be a sweetener if the Jets are rebuilding and willing to take on a bad salary for a year or two.
As you stated Patrick Roy is one of the best to ever play the game. And as other posters have mentioned Goaltending is one of the positions many teams shy away from giving big contracts to, they rarely work out

Roy situation is much different than Helle's. Helle doesnt want to resign in Winnipeg, that right there makes them lose alot of leverage.

I really dont care if he goes to Pittsburgh or not I think they can do a better job building out the team and goaltending without giving as much away. It will be interesting to see what he does go for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad