Proposal: Hellybuyck - PIT

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Horrible for WPG

No it's not. We could certainly add a prospect or additional draft pick though.

What team has a better draft pick than 14OA in this draft, needs a goalie, and is willing to part with it? You think San Jose is trading 4OA for him? He doesn't want to play in Canada so that rules out the already unlikely Canadiens paying 5OA for him.....and even if Edmonton went nutso and traded multiple firsts - 2 late firsts do not equal 14OA in this years' deep draft.

SamX

Jul 4, 2019
No it's not. We could certainly add a prospect or additional draft pick though.

What team has a better draft pick than 14OA in this draft, needs a goalie, and is willing to part with it? You think San Jose is trading 4OA for him? He doesn't want to play in Canada so that rules out the already unlikely Canadiens paying 5OA for him.....and even if Edmonton went nutso and traded multiple firsts - 2 late firsts do not equal 14OA in this years' deep draft.
Agreed

Reactions: Flair Hay

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'd take Detroit's #9, or #17, if they add a good prospect.

Pitt really has nothing much to offer other than a pick, and the pick is meh.

Detroit is a young team. Good luck getting them to trade any of their top prospects for him.

There's also snowball's chance he nets 9OA. The top 10 of this draft are seriously deep. There might be a few that slip through which means your top 15 are also coveted - but not top 10. What about Yzerman's record makes you think he isn't keeping those picks nor his youth?

Detroit is better off getting Hart for almost nothing - he matches their core better.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
If Helle is willing to sign at a reasonable number I’d offer 14 OA+

But honestly I don’t see why a team with a higher pick (Detroit #9 mentioned earlier) would spend that on a goalie that’s over 30. Most of those teams are rebuilding/young so why would they do that when Helle will be old by the time they compete?

Pittsburgh probably holds one of the highest picks that would be moved for a goalie like that.

14OA, 2024 2nd, and Grandlund for Helle extended.

Jets fans have pretty high expectations but realistically no goalie this age with expensive contract demands has ever been dealt for a kings ransom. Would be very surprised if a team beats the offer listed above

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If Helle is willing to sign at a reasonable number I’d offer 14 OA+

But honestly I don’t see why a team with a higher pick (Detroit #9 mentioned earlier) would spend that on a goalie that’s over 30. Most of those teams are rebuilding/young so why would they do that when Helle will be old by the time they compete?

Pittsburgh probably holds one of the highest picks that would be moved for a goalie like that.

14OA, 2024 2nd, and Grandlund for Helle extended.

Jets fans have pretty high expectations but realistically no goalie this age with expensive contract demands has ever been dealt for a kings ransom. Would be very surprised if a team beats the offer listed above
Add Blomqvist to the deal, or drop Granlund from it. One-year cap dumps are fine, but you're not getting to offload the second year of Granlund's deal for free.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Winnipeg would not do better than this. Maybe if they packaged Hellebuyck 50% retained with Dubois to LA for a bigger deal.

There are only so many teams interested in goalies severely limiting the market and not that many teams eager to extend him at what he’d probably want to sign.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Add Blomqvist to the deal, or drop Granlund from it. One-year cap dumps are fine, but you're not getting to offload the second year of Granlund's deal for free.
No deal then lol Jets clearly going into a rebuild and they’d walk away from solid assets because of 1 extra year of salary? Poor management.

Not to mention Granlund is still a fine player. I’d be happy to keep him but we have no else to send back $ wise that would make sense for the Jets.

Let’s not forget granlund has been a solid 2nd line winger for the majority of his career. He got slapped with a 3rd line defensive role on the pens and that is not his strengths. With Zucker gone, Granlund will get top 6 minutes and be just fine. Absolutely not paying a premium to move him

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No deal then lol Jets clearly going into a rebuild and they’d walk away from solid assets because of 1 extra year of salary? Poor management.

Not to mention Granlund is still a fine player. I’d be happy to keep him but we have no else to send back $ wise that would make sense for the Jets.

Let’s not forget granlund has been a solid 2nd line winger for the majority of his career. He got slapped with a 3rd line defensive role on the pens and that is not his strengths. With Zucker gone, Granlund will get top 6 minutes and be just fine. Absolutely not paying a premium to move him
Cap space costs assets. That's all there is to it. He's definitely a solid forward to have, but his contract is exactly one year too long for us to take on without a sweetener.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't trade for Hellebuyck, I think he's going to be way too expensive on his extension and would basically force the Penguins to lose Guentzel next year.

I don't think Winnipeg would do much better than #14 for 1 year of Hellebuyck, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing it unless I knew I could keep Hellebuyck while also keeping Guentzel.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Cap space costs assets. That's all there is to it. He's definitely a solid forward to have, but his contract is exactly one year too long for us to take on without a sweetener.
Cap space costs assets if it’s a cap dump. Granlund is not. He is simply in the deal to help Pittsburgh afford Helle’s contract.

Granlund, if he stays with Pitt, will be a useful player. Teams do not pay other teams to have useful players.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Cap space costs assets if it’s a cap dump. Granlund is not. He is simply in the deal to help Pittsburgh afford Helle’s contract.

Granlund, if he stays with Pitt, will be a useful player. Teams do not pay other teams to have useful players.
We have our top 6 wingers sorted for next year. We don't need Granlund for anything, but we have the means to take on his contract. It just costs.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Assuming Hellebuyck will be traded after July 1st with an extension in place, so the 14OA is irrelevant. Maybe they'll be blown away and trade him before the draft but I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad