OT: Hello from Tennessee.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
You might be thinking of Dainius Zubrus or Oleg Petrov.

Valeri Bure also had many breakaway fail moments but didn't reach Zubrus/Petrov's status. Even with all that, I still "kinda" liked Petrov.

Now there was also Russ Courtnall for breakaways. He was definitely not a superstar but was above those other 2.(edit: I'm getting old, just realized Courtnall was 1991-1992)
Russ Courtnall... i remember that he used to slap the puck very high near the goalies head at the beginning of games . He did it so many time that at one point it couldn't be a hazard and i deduced that he wanted to destabilize them . Than i wrote a book ;

How to create a myth :yo:

Reactions: angusyoung

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Hope you were't impacted by the quakes and all. Where about? love Queenstown BTW.

Just outside of Palmerston North, which is about an hour and a half north of Wellington. Wasnt affected by any of the quakes - so far. Wellington is on a massive fault line and is way overdue. That will be bad when it happens.

Queenstown is struggling at present, being a tourism city - should be some good deals there when the boarders open up!

Joshua Harrell

May 2, 2020
Nice to see the international flavour coming through! Anyone else on here from the southern hemisphere? Im way down in New Zealand.

Hockey night in Canada starts at lunchtime sunday...
Awesome! Beautiful there. And yep I’m a die hard Habs fan that lives on a horse ranch in middle Tennessee on the Kentucky line.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Just outside of Palmerston North, which is about an hour and a half north of Wellington. Wasnt affected by any of the quakes - so far. Wellington is on a massive fault line and is way overdue. That will be bad when it happens.

Queenstown is struggling at present, being a tourism city - should be some good deals there when the boarders open up!

I was in NZ for a month once, I spend 4 months in Australia, one month in Fiji and one month in NZ. Arrived in Auckland, stayed in Rotorua, then hitchhiked to Wellington where I watched the All Blacks play the Wallabies in a full stadium. Took the ferry to South Island and rented a shack on the beach and rested after some partying. We took little train across from the western side of the South Island to Christchurch. I rested a bit in NZ and it was perfect for that, scenic beauty, not too many people, nice and cool (I arrived in April).

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

My bad,read south thinking south Island. Auckland with all the volcanoes around is something worth keeping an eye on also.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was in NZ for a month once, I spend 4 months in Australia, one month in Fiji and one month in NZ. Arrived in Auckland, stayed in Rotorua, then hitchhiked to Wellington where I watched the All Blacks play the Wallabies in a full stadium. Took the ferry to South Island and rented a shack on the beach and rested after some partying. We took little train across from the western side of the South Island to Christchurch. I rested a bit in NZ and it was perfect for that, scenic beauty, not too many people, nice and cool (I arrived in April).

Christchurch looks nothing like it did before the quakes,a real shame,devastating.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
That trans alpine train ride from the east to west coast of the south island is meant to be one of the most scenic ones in the world. I havent been fortunate enough to do it - yet.

I wish i saw Christchurch pre quakes, especially the cathedral. It will never be the same.

Actually remember both quakes, felt them clearly where i live. Certainly shoes the power of nature!

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Still ride? me not as often, sibling has some equestrian ones but not for me. Had an ex that rode also and we'd go together on one,bareback of course.:nod:
Sadly, it's been a long time since I've been on a horse. I've also been behind one on a sulky. A old buddy of mine used to train standardbreds and occasionally, I'd get to "drive" one. Actually, the horse did most of the driving. It's like sitting behind a locomotive. You really have to hold tight on the reins. But what a rush, especially pacers, they really get into a rhythm and man they're fast.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Sadly, it's been a long time since I've been on a horse. I've also been behind one on a sulky. A old buddy of mine used to train standardbreds and occasionally, I'd get to "drive" one. Actually, the horse did most of the driving. It's like sitting behind a locomotive. You really have to hold tight on the reins. But what a rush, especially pacers, they really get into a rhythm and man they're fast.

You can still do it though given the chance though? sounds like fun with a sulky,one step closer to the Amish ways,they rock! Can only imagine how a jockey feels must be a great feeling as well. That'll never happen for me,too big and heavy. The last time riding,some time ago with horses supplied by a friends friend,tiny horses and it did not want me on him,kept trying to bite me and shake me off.Looked ridiculous also being so huge on that poor little horsey.:)

Reactions: Joshua Harrell

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That trans alpine train ride from the east to west coast of the south island is meant to be one of the most scenic ones in the world. I havent been fortunate enough to do it - yet.

I wish i saw Christchurch pre quakes, especially the cathedral. It will never be the same.

Actually remember both quakes, felt them clearly where i live. Certainly shoes the power of nature!

It is very nice ride,pray for good weather.

The cathedral was a huge draw and such a shame that it went that way.

You get quakes often enough to feel some? first biggy I felt in Central America,had no idea what was happening,though an aneurysm or stroke or something,crazy!

Got to fly around when a volcano was erupting near MT Cook way back in the day,nice from the distance.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Russ Courtnall... i remember that he used to slap the puck very high near the goalies head at the beginning of games . He did it so many time that at one point it couldn't be a hazard and i deduced that he wanted to destabilize them . Than i wrote a book ;

How to create a myth :yo:

Bobby hull is on record of admitting to this.

He liked to start games by smoking pucks near the goalie's head to try and rattle them.

He didn't say he tried to hit them, but he wanted to make it close enough to get the goalies thinking.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Is trotting large in Canada? In Sweden it is much larger than other types of horse racing.

Reactions: Joshua Harrell

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
You can still do it though given the chance though? sounds like fun with a sulky,one step closer to the Amish ways,they rock! Can only imagine how a jockey feels must be a great feeling as well. That'll never happen for me,too big and heavy. The last time riding,some time ago with horses supplied by a friends friend,tiny horses and it did not want me on him,kept trying to bite me and shake me off.Looked ridiculous also being so huge on that poor little horsey.:)

My one and only horseback riding didn't last long unless you count those small horses when I was a little kid. At the beginning the horse walked so slowly that I called him names and then when we went back home he suddenly started running longing for his pasture/stable and he did run into another horse who kicked at us and my horse stood on his hind legs. I got really scared clung like mad onto his neck and I saw one of those girls that always hang around horses. I asked her to hold my horse and I jumped down fast as hell. and when on safe ground I told her to ride it back and that I was done with horse riding for the rest of my life (unless my coffin was in a horse drawn carriage in a national burial). :)

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
We get quakes daily but you cant feel 99% of them. Only bout half a dozen each year that you feel, and most are minor.

Remember being on holiday in Aussie, there was a tiny quake - they very rarely get them and were freaking out. We were just laughing as all the shops/schools ect shut and went home. Was a cracking day, i reckon they just wanted a reason to hit the beaches!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It is very nice ride,pray for good weather.

The cathedral was a huge draw and such a shame that it went that way.

You get quakes often enough to feel some? first biggy I felt in Central America,had no idea what was happening,though an aneurysm or stroke or something,crazy!

Got to fly around when a volcano was erupting near MT Cook way back in the day,nice from the distance.

I was there a long time ago as well, let out my flat to someone from work for 6 months, had so much OT from the year before so I basically got paid for 6 months. On Fiji there was a military coup while I was there. The prime minister was of Indian origin but the native Fiji people controlled the army and took power and you don't want to mess around with those guys. They are big and powerful, even the women had more powerful legs than we had, I swear the calves of those women!! No wonder they are decent in Rugby. Tried some of that chewed stuff, the Kava drink. Meh, nothing for a Swede who is used to bitter Schnapps Vodka. In fact when I tried it I rinsed with whiskey just in case it was actually chewed by people.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
We get quakes daily but you cant feel 99% of them. Only bout half a dozen each year that you feel, and most are minor.

Remember being on holiday in Aussie, there was a tiny quake - they very rarely get them and were freaking out. We were just laughing as all the shops/schools ect shut and went home. Was a cracking day, i reckon they just wanted a reason to hit the beaches!

One of the hostels I stayed in had a big crack in the floor in the laundry room from a previous big quake. One hell of a hostel, I got into a fight with a German (argument no fists, it would be unfair). They had some freeze dried food and it stunk up the kitchen and us Swedes (we were 3) were upset and asked what in the teufel's name they were cooking, fox sh**?

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Hahaha hostel stories... thats probably worthy of its own thread topic right there!

Since the big quakes there have been a massive push to strengthen older buildings - this has meant that a lot are currently unused in most cities. Its a shame. Bit of an empty feeling around what used to be vibrant areas.

I would love to get across to your part of the world one day - scandinavia looks amazing. Winter time of course to see the lights!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad