Rumor: Hearing the Blues big names are on the block, "everything is open, even Vladimir Tarasenko"

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
From "NHL's Winners of Summer" to this in just over 5 months. Well, at least us Blues fans will all have that banner raising we'll remember and cherish forever.

In all seriousness, if we're at this point Doug Armstrong needs to be fired. He created this mess, it makes zero sense to let him be the guy to try and fix it.

I think the message here is "teams aren't built on paper." A lot of us Blues fans have been discussing team chemistry, character and the overall makeup of the team. It seems to me that the Blues and Army have been trying to build the best team on paper, without really considering what kind of team they want to have. They should be focusing on exactly what kind of team they want, and get players based on that.

In recent years, we've usually had 4 solid lines, a pretty good D corps, but the team never went anywhere. Sure, goaltending is part of it but I think we've just had a collection of players with no real direction or identity. The only exception was a brief period with Hitch where we dominated by being a tough, cycling team that won puck battles and wore down opponents. We probably don't need a full re-build but we probably have to move out a big-name player just to move things forward. Not sure who that will be and I certainly understand why some fans don't want Army making these huge decisions.

Dec 15, 2002
Are the Blues that bad that they have to scorch things like Lebrun suggests?
You know those rare situations where you get a bunch of guys together and they should be really, really good and they don't mesh well and they collectively underperform? That's where the Blues are. Granted, 3 of their top-6 are out and that's not helping things any, but even before that the team was a mess and couldn't get in sync.

Do I think they have to wipe the slate clean? Well, I don't see how a single trade magically fixes everything. I don't even see how a pair of trades fix everything. Yeah, getting a more reliable goalie would help, but it doesn't stop the mind-numbing breakdowns from the defense we see most nights. It doesn't fix the malaise this team has had much of the year at even strength. [Even if it put up 4 ES goals last night ... while allowing 3.] And it doesn't fix forwards regularly getting caught down low and the opposition running the other way on a 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 and the defenseman who's back all but glides down to watch and see how it all unfolds.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
Brodin
Coyle
Kunin
2019 1st
2020 1st

For tarasenko

Seems like alot from minny, but it's the only way they'd get him from a division rival. Hes the sniper this team has been needing for the last decade. Plus tara and kaprizov would be amazing together.

BringJordanHome

Aug 18, 2018
Realistically a mid to late round pick would easily get the job done. He has been a dud in St. Louis and has become a target for Blues fans, some of it justified and some of it exaggerated. With the way he has played though I highly doubt there is interest in re signing him after this year so if any team out that has any interest whatsoever I would move him.
Well i really liked him here in Edmonton so I’d be willing to make a trade like that.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Brodin
Coyle
Kunin
2019 1st
2020 1st

For tarasenko

Seems like alot from minny, but it's the only way they'd get him from a division rival. Hes the sniper this team has been needing for the last decade. Plus tara and kaprizov would be amazing together.

I highly doubt we make any trades of our top players within division.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
How would Ceci + Balcers + 3rd for Edmunson work? How is he valued in St. Louis?

With both Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson contracts expiring at the end of this year I would think it would make Eddy a hard move to make. Who would we have left to play on the left side??

oilers4life

Jun 1, 2016
if only if the oilers had the room would be a thing of seeing mcdaivid and tarasenko on like

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
With both Bouwmeester and Gunnarsson contracts expiring at the end of this year I would think it would make Eddy a hard move to make. Who would we have left to play on the left side??
Not a clue, hence me asking Blues fans how he's valued or what you view his worth

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Not a clue, hence me asking Blues fans how he's valued or what you view his worth

Not to dash your dreams but honestly I see him as one of the last guys I am moving off the defense. He is by far our most physical defenseman which is something we desperately lack on the backend.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
1) They re-tooled in the Summer. Didn't work.
2) They may not actually be looking to blow everything up, rather this could be translated as reading the riot act to their best players and that if they think they're safe (untouchable), they're not.

I don't know how many (if any) players would welcome a move out of St. Louis, but for the players that want to stay, this news may serve as a wake-up call.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Looks like the Hawks and Kings need to start upping their tank levels if St. Louis starts trading away guys like Tarasenko.

Lame jokes aside, a better goalie and a few minor trades to improve overall team speed probably makes that Blues roster a playoff team next year. No need for a full rebuild in St. Louis.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I almost feel bad for Tyler Bozak. :laugh:

Guy must be looking up in the standings and seeing the team with which he spent what, nine seasons? Meanwhile his first foray into UFA status on a new team has been a disaster.

Reactions: Dovahkiin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad